phppp
Re: Whats going on with XOOPS
  • 2005/5/8 2:56

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

@DonXoop,
if your post is not pointing to my post above, ignore my following words, otherwise, listen to me:
1 no one asks you to install or use CBB. You have better place to complain your complaints.
2 When I talked about culture difference, I was meaning the core team not CBB. Why the CBB came out, since you have no interest, neither me on this topic with you.

Sorry, learnt from your post in the other topic and reply together there:
Quote:
IMHO it won't get fixed with culture wars. It never fixed anything in the past and it won't happen with software.

where is "culture wars"? I mentioned culture difference and cultural gap just let ppl be aware of it and do not ignore it.
"it won't happen with software", are you talking about culture difference? if yes, then you are wrong. Culture difference exists both in coding, multilanguage is an example, and, more important, in management.

ilivanov
  • 2005/5/8 4:12

• ilivanov

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

@DonXoop, can u explain me what means Chinese version (I was the first one who told that CBB is a fork, few minutes after the news for CBB 1.0 release), after some tests, I replace all my XOOPS sites from NewBB 2.02 to CBB 1.12, no matter is the module is created by Chinese, Koreans, Japanese or whatever Asian, African ppl, the module is a good addition to XOOPS community. With this strange words - "Created for Chinese community" - both of you phppp, donXoop, Mith u scare some ppl, yesterday one of Bulgarian xoopers, ask me for CBB - "How CBB can be converted to work for Bulgarian", and this stupid question comes from there.

This night (searching for words for the japanese fork of XOOPS or something) I found very interesting and good modules (as description, not tested yet), why this modules are not provided from Modules resporsitory ? Or they are created for Japs only ?

The same is the situation with Brasilian mods, Spanish, Russians, all of this sites, have created some times very interesting and usefull mods, but they are not listed here.

Why? Most of the modules described in Modules resporsitory are French and English (authors)...

Or maybe u have to create a block on the top of xoops.org, "here u can find only our (core dev team) modules, for 3rd party modules for xoops, use google"

CBB works fine for me, both in Windows-1251 and Unicode, now I can say that my first post was a mistake, (and I promise never will say it against for other module, before the test). CBB have great improvments and additions to NewBB 2.0.2, why we dont switch to stable, and actively developed CBB, and to stay with dead and bugy NewBB 2.0.2 ?

m0nty
  • 2005/5/8 4:36

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:
found very interesting and good modules (as description, not tested yet), why this modules are not provided from Modules resporsitory ? Or they are created for Japs only ?

The same is the situation with Brasilian mods, Spanish, Russians, all of this sites, have created some times very interesting and usefull mods, but they are not listed here.

Why? Most of the modules described in Modules resporsitory are French and English (authors)...

i think i can at least answer this question apropriately but it is just my opinion.

the xoops.org team don't have the time to go round every site and post modules to the repository here. at the end of the day it is entirely the module developers choice of where they wish to submit their modules, yes it would be nice to see them all in 1 place or at least something to point the users to those modules existence (maybe that can be worked on at least) but i see 1 reason the local sites may choose to just host them on their own sites is that if they submit the modules here, then most likely if anyone has issues with the module or wants to know things, then it would be highly probable that the developers may not visit this site as often as users may wish, so that could create issues where support is not given in a timely manner and then you get support given in different places and on different sites scattered about the place.. this is not good practice as a whole.

the wf-projects team prefer support issues and requests etc to be made on their website, not because they don't like to come here but mainly because that's the site where they are most active and your request is most likely to be seen and addressed there.

invisionboard mod is preferred to be kept on bbpixel as then things get kept together. it is probably the same with the rest of the local sites..

communication between sites is going to be stepped up and bringing the point about modules been hosted on other sites is something that i think has been overlooked when discussing recently, now the attention has been brought to that, maybe that can also be addressed in the communications/liasons team aswell. i hope i gave this opinion satisfactory and i hope i have at least given a valid opinion..

ilivanov
  • 2005/5/8 5:03

• ilivanov

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

@m0nty, interesting, but

Quote:
the wf-projects team prefer support issues and requests etc to be made on their website, not because they don't like to come here but mainly because that's the site where they are most active and your request is most likely to be seen and addressed there.

WF-Projects are listed here, in the resporistory, and if someone have troubles with one of their mods, he can click and will be redirected to their homesite.

The same is the situation with BBPixel forums.

What about Russian Top Sites, or Korean Blues Board ?
I cant agree with this local support sites to host the files localy, in this case, first no one (due the nature of XOOPS), will not know which version is last, 2nd who (web administrator) with XOOPS will browse every morning all support site with Google translators, to check what's new and what no.

How Gentoo's community organize all dev teams in one place, there is no support sites, yeah some local sites to promote Gentoo, to give simple answers, but all main discussions for and about Gentoo and his sub projects, comes on the main site. No matter with nationality they are, u have to learn from them, this is the one of the best communities in the net, allways with "smiles" no matter what some angry (l)users says, they are smiley, in Gentoo forums cant see fork from fork.

In your way, XOOPS have to separated to everyone nation, and when u or Solo for example, let's take his multiMenu, current 1.7 but tomorrow will be 1.8. And I as non-official (who gives this title official) support for Bulgarian XOOPERS, have to:
1. to check is the new release is a release or just a note to upcoming release
2. if is release, to go to wolfpackclan site, get it, install it, translate it, and put it localy, only for Bulgarian users and so for all other modules.

If u understand Community created - "Powered by You (XOOPS Slogan)" - You are in great mistake.

DonXoop

Quote:
if your post is not pointing to my post above, ignore my following words, otherwise, listen to me:
1 no one asks you to install or use CBB. You have better place to complain your complaints.

Some of my comments were and some weren't. Nothing personal.
I'm not having a conversation with one person. That is what the quote tag is for and now I include one, to be direct on point.

Several times all of a sudden it is suggested that I use CBB as a solution to a new problem. Of course nobody forces me to use one thing or another, but I'll speak my mind none the less.

When I say I have no interest in CBB I mean that had no interest because the hype was about it being targeted at a community different than mine. To compare, gaming modules have the same lack of interest to me but it doesn't reflect any lack of respect I have or could have if I took the time to investigate the module. If I have a need I'll look further. Other things take up my time like anyone else.

So now I have a need to know more and I didn't like the whole complicated drama that surrounded it and other semi connected issues.

And that is what this whole thread is about isn't it.

Quote:
Sorry, learnt from your post in the other topic and reply together there:

Nothing to be sorry about, I intended the two threads to merge together and assumed you would make that link.

Quote:
where is "culture wars"?
All over the place. Everywhere I look it seems. By definition it can't be easily explained and solved at the same time.
A Catch-22 if you will..

Quote:
I mentioned culture difference and cultural gap just let ppl be aware of it and do not ignore it.
"it won't happen with software", are you talking about culture difference? if yes, then you are wrong. Culture difference exists both in coding, multilanguage is an example, and, more important, in management.

Like I said, it is hard to miss. I'm aware of it. And I still disagree.
Code is code and if it covers all the bases, logical and cultural, then I can use it for my particular needs. The user decides how they want to exploit the code to create their content. The damn thing won't get written in the first place if there is a battle about the shape of the table the kings and prime ministers will sit at. That is the link I refer to about culture wars being a dead end. Winners and losers. Sucks to be the loser.

?So as a user I will likely have to frequently change gears and decide on allegiance and the politics of the application so I can maintain the content, style, and cultural identity I have? That should be irrelevant.

=============

This isn't about icons and logos. It isn't fashion (reference to The Big Chill..). And I sure hope it isn't about a "management" style or any other cultural battle going on here and there. My decision to not buy cars or tires from one country or another is not the same issue at all.

So if anyone is totally confused by my rant don't fret. So am I.

I don't want to drag this out. So either this is a debate with a hope of a resolution that benefits the average user or it should be a private forum thread.

I won't be blown off because I wasn't asked to use a module that is for now a 3rd party module. But for sure there are better places to discuss some of these things. Like perhaps on the home site of the module in question for example.

And to circle back to the topic at hand. This affects some important decisions a user will be making. Maybe I too should look at Mambo or forks of parts or all of xoops. I wish I didn't. Mention of user group rights differences is a much bigger issue than the cultural battles behind the scenes. Mentioning that the concerns over specific issues like group rights will be covered in version xxx.xx is scary no matter what the intentions. My 486 CPU mainboard that was "Pentium Ready tm." years ago. It still is and is still a 486. But a darn nice doorstop it made....

So I don't know "What's going on with XOOPS". I hope it turns out ok..

oh, the thread has grown some more.
Quote:
@DonXoop, can u explain me what means Chinese version

That is how the news was posted. Of course it shouldn't matter what language the author speaks. php is php.

Quote:
why we dont switch to stable, and actively developed CBB, and to stay with dead and bugy NewBB 2.0.2

Because until all this nonsense and fighting started making sense I thought that newbb was an active project. And how is CBB already considered a project that will remain the active and true replacement? I'm not convinced yet and why should I be? I'm sure that a new XOOPS user is even more confused over what is the trusted module.

Quote:
the xoops.org team don't have the time to go round every site and post modules to the repository here. at the end of the day it is entirely the module developers choice of where they wish to submit their modules

Thank you. That's another sore point. Few of the module listings here are maintained and kept up to date by the authors. The occasional announcement and listing might be made but rarely updated. Or the announcement might spark a firestorm. Or a host of other things could happen. Like this debate.

m0nty
  • 2005/5/8 5:42

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

the module repository needs attention, no doubt there i think some organisation will be implemented as soon as the communications team is established. i think tho a good idea would be to have all modules submitted in the repository either locally or by remote url to the modules download page on the hosted site. the hosted site of the module oughta keep the link the same for updated module so that the repository here doesn't become out of date and point to an older module or dead module.. this can be achieved by the local site hosting, if they upload the new module to the same place. and then possibly archive the previous versions either on the sourceforge repository or in a seperate archive.. it can be done if everyone works that way.

damaster
  • 2005/5/10 1:11

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Quote:
the module repository needs attention, no doubt there i think some organisation will be implemented as soon as the communications team is established.

I agree that need some organisation !

Quote:
it can be done if everyone works that way

Yes, if xoopsers know what's going on!...

Cheers
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

onokazu
  • 2005/5/19 5:58

• onokazu

• XOOPS Founder

• Since: 2001/12/13

Just wanted to let you all know that we have released the first beta version of our release. The version number of this release is XOOPS 2.0.10 JP Beta and available for download from the following sites.

http://www.xoopscube.jp/xoops/download.php
https://sourceforge.jp/projects/xoops/files/

The primary goal of our project is to provide fully secure, simple (light-weight), and scalable web application for all XOOPSers around the world. What we can say for now is that we're currently concentrating on making the 2.0.x JP releases secure and getting rid of any possible vulnerabilities found in the previous releases. A detailed roadmap is coming soon as well and will be announced shortly.

# I wasn't going to post this message here, however since I am getting lots of messages and was requested to reply here, I am doing so to hopefully make things clear for some people..

Catzwolf
  • 2005/5/19 6:12

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

onokazu wrote:
Just wanted to let you all know that we have released the first beta version of our release. The version number of this release is XOOPS 2.0.10 JP Beta and available for download from the following sites.

http://www.xoopscube.jp/xoops/download.php
https://sourceforge.jp/projects/xoops/files/

The primary goal of our project is to provide fully secure, simple (light-weight), and scalable web application for all XOOPSers around the world. What we can say for now is that we're currently concentrating on making the 2.0.x JP releases secure and getting rid of any possible vulnerabilities found in the previous releases. A detailed roadmap is coming soon as well and will be announced shortly.

# I wasn't going to post this message here, however since I am getting lots of messages and was requested to reply here, I am doing so to hopefully make things clear for some people..

Hey Kazu,

Good to see that you are still around =) I really wish you so much with XOOPS JP =)

ATB

Catz

Vahrokh
Re: What's going on with XOOPS
  • 2005/5/19 8:51

• Vahrokh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/17

I'll throw my 2 ugly cents at this; 2 cents that come off a "random nameless XOOPS user / mod developer" and how he feels all of this.

The feeling I have is about a former "Xoops is my creature" developer that sees that the direction of the software is not following his will any more and so decides to branch off it and do another release closely following his "directions" and style.
I won't judge about this action because it's useless to the prosecution of this branch of Xoops.

I will instead say that this moment of great weakness of XOOPS can be turned to great advantage with good timing and community management: XOOPS can now make the big leap from the former "son of a single man" concept (with many contributors) to shared source (shared source = with many protagonists that add to it since the planning phase).
Of course managing the new course will be really difficult due to the fact that the entropy a large group of "protagonists" can easily slip out of control and disintegrate the development in shards of sub-branches off litigants etc.

But if the effort will succeed, it will lead to a fully "community oriented and made" (sorry for my awful English) software that will surpass any "single guru centric" effort.

As for the JP release: you JP guys should think that who comes to your site should be able to understand something of it, expecially when you'll put up an official JP XOOPS home page.
As of now navigating the site for information on the new software is impossible, it's like those sites in strict German or French (with no English translation) that automatically cut off all non German and French people looking for their contents.

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits