bobdole
Module for Word documents
  • 2005/3/22 19:20

• bobdole

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/22

I am looking for a module to manage word documents. I would like to be able to easily upload word documents and search the entire contents. Is there a module that can do this?

BTW,

I am running the latest version of XOOPs on a Windows 2000 PC running Apache.

tedsmith
Re: Module for Word documents
  • 2005/3/22 19:55

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I'd like that too.

There are modules that can process word documents i.e. have links to them - such as WF-Sections and WF-Downloads, both available from WF-Projects but neither allow the searching of word documents. Theres also the DMS module (Documents Management System I think) but that is more of a web based 'Windows Explorer' type system.

I need the exact same thing, and have done for about a year now, but it never quite works. Either there is no facility to create a direct UNC link to a file on a server or you're faced with the problem of the document not being searchable.

I'd love it for someone to correct me.

bobdole
  • 2005/3/29 4:34

• bobdole

• Just popping in

Ted,

I have not found a solution to this issue yet, but I have played around with a module called docmanager (under the document management section) that supports word document uploads and full text searches via a search program call swish-e, but:

- I have never gotten the search to work.
- It is a seperate search from the XOOPS search.

If I find something, I will update this post.

brash
  • 2005/3/29 4:51

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Aha, looks like you're already on the ball bobdole

tedsmith
  • 2005/3/29 16:15

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Yeah, that was the module I was referring to I think. The e-swish took a bit of configuration if I remember rightly.

rifraff
  • 2005/4/8 21:18

• rifraff

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/16

Hello,

The DMS module will support full text search of word documents; but, like the docmanager module also requires swish-e. I have, however, made the swish-e configuration a lot easier than in the past.

Regards,

Brian Reifsnyder

bobdole
  • 2005/7/12 23:52

• bobdole

• Just popping in

It looks like DMS will auto configure swish-e. I have not tested this yet though, but DMS (Document Management System) has some nice features like document versioning, etc....very promising.

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?dms

I have not tested this yet but I will soon. In the mean time, I have just been uploading word documents into a forum and creating a detailed description of what they contain in the post. This helps with finding the correct document, but the user still needs to crawl through the document to see if the answer is within.

rabideau
  • 2005/7/13 0:16

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Just to place a vote for rifraff...

I like dms and have used it very successfully. I wish I could show you the site, but it's for a client and is secured. Sorry.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

bobdole
  • 2005/7/13 0:23

• bobdole

• Just popping in

I tested it awhile back and liked alot of its features but could not get swish-e to funciton properly on Windows 2000, so I abandoned it. But I agree, it has very nice features and now with the auto config of swish-e maybe I will get it to work.

DrOMM
  • 2005/7/29 9:17

• DrOMM

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/29

I am looking for a dms solution for our law firm. The capability to search the full text of MS Word documents is essential; pdf would be nice. If this works, I may make a considerable donation

I am about to test the dms module; on the project site, 0.99 is listed as the current version. However, the download link does not work; I only get 0.98. Has 0.99 been withdrawn?

Olaf

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits