jdseymour
Re: Mambo winning on PR-field now

I really, really like where this discussion is going.

One thought that I have is of course functional is desirable in the long run. Pretty makes desirable off the bat. I think part of this could be helped by theme designers for new default themes included with the XOOPS installation.

Perhaps some type of competition in this form could really dress up the default XOOPS interface. Looking back at Mambo (when I used it) the default theme was very flashy and not at all generic.

A theme with some pizazz on a demo site will catch a potential CMS "shopper's" initial attention and get them to look under the hood.

Herko
  • 2005/3/25 14:58

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

great ideas indeed. But I still see a lot of 'if XOOPS would have this and that, then it would be much more popular' kind of solutions, and while improving XOOPS is important, I'd like the focus to be on how to promote the current XOOPS system and community more.

I do like the energy in this thread tho And rest assured, usability and design already is on the agenda. But that is for the developers and interface designers to deal with. What I think we should be doing here is look at how we can create the brand XOOPS. Things like:
- create a network of press contacts
- have pubicity materials
- be present at conferences etc.
- actively appreoach press contacts with news
- use the XOOPS brand to show quality

What are, in your opinion, the keywords you would associate with XOOPS?
How and who would initiate and execute the activities?
Who will take it upon him/herself to lead the creation of the Communications and Marketing Team?

Herko

davidl2
  • 2005/3/25 15:01

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Herko - I would love to volunteer my assistance, but to be honest I don't think my own track record shows much more than enthusiasm for Xoops... at least I help in that way

Herko
  • 2005/3/25 15:20

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

David, if track record was a requirement, no-one would ever get anywhere Did you just volunteer to lead the creation of the Communications and Marketing Team?

Herko

biglove
Suggestions and a Request
  • 2005/3/25 15:26

• biglove

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

Suggestions and a Request

I'd like to step in with an offer to help on this.

I'm not much of a programmer, but I have written many press releases.

I think that this discussion is great.

One thing that I've been noticing is that 'marketing' is kinda being talked about in the abstract. To me, marketing is just strategic thinking combined with communication. It is not a magic bullet.

Just so that we're all on the same page, I have a few questions.

Is the goal of this thread to increase the number of corporate users
OR get more users of any type
OR win awards and press for Xoops?

Is the goal is to bring XOOPS into competition with something like WebSphere?
That is a BIG task. Possible and yet it would require a real unified effort, which seems difficult in practice when dealing with open source development.

It seems really that this thread is about bringing XOOPS up to the next level.

I know several small tweaks that could be done from a Search Engine perspective that would geometrically increase XOOPS implementation.

I think that would be a good tactic because:
1. it would be cheap.
2. It doesn't involve that much work just some minor changes.
3. Once it was put in place it woulds run automatically.

Asides from those tweaks, I think the focus should be on
-improving documentation, specifically for modules like newbb2
-cleaning up some of the admin pages for the modules
-Creating new modules that fill needs that the other CMS's are not doing that businesses need.

I have contacted several of the core XOOPS developers to develop some features I want, offering to pay them for their work. Most don't respond, which puzzles me.

If you have coded parts of XOOPS core and Newbb2 and are interested in picking up some paid work, PM me and I'll share the basic idea.

JasonMR
Re: Suggestions and a Request
  • 2005/3/25 15:47

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Have a page like Mozilla/Firefox with marketing materials, for inspiration check out their site.

For more detailed info, check out their Wiki.

There was/is a mailinglist, where members would post, if there was something in the news about firefox, or browsers in general. Participants were asked to respond, in a fair and neutral manner.

We could have a 'marketing wiki', where members can list conferences, and other IT events. The marketing team could try and organize a stand at these events, where demonstrations are held, and free installation CD's are distributed.

And there is Spread Firefox.org => spreadxoops ????

On that site, check out Guerillia Marketing.

Would could produce stickers, that members would purchase from XOOPS.org (foundation), to stick on school books, train stations, light posts, etc.

Why not benefit from what Firefox has done? Copying is good

Couldn't we cooperate?

----
keywords
professional intranet, expandable content managment system, web site building, community building, totall control, quick and easy, no hassles, quick support, free,.....(just of the top of my tired head, to inpire others....this is brainstorming)
----

Create a list for what XOOPS can be used:
- private web site
- extendable blog, with photo gallery, chat functionality,...
- corporate and government intranets
- e-commerce sites
- business presentation sites
- business/customer interaction sites
- ...to be continued...

----

Really need to sleep now....

phppp
  • 2005/3/25 16:00

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Thanks LazyBadger for bringing this topic.
I would vote it, as well as the "Is XOOPS on crash" as the "XOOPS Topic of the Year".

Inspired by some great comments from XOOPSers like jegelstaff, in another topic but truely related to this topic, I would speak out my opinion:
Action is more important than speaking, even for the "marketing and promotion" stuff.
Hope XOOPS "managers" could do or manage to do
For end users:
1 make one set of professional layout, including logo, theme and buttons
2 make one set of fundamental(Thanks david for the word) modules, so many but robust, stable and secure.

For (module) developers
1 inform module developers about the XOOPS core roadmap
2 tackle conflicts among modules (developers) that have similar functionality
3 do something for most-wanted modules

To biglove:
I have not coded for XOOPS core but offered some patches and hacks, had done something for newbb 2, am interested in paid development (not myself but my group).

rowdie
  • 2005/3/25 16:12

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

It's a good thread, but it keeps getting off-topic.

The topic is "how to promote the current XOOPS system and community." That's what I want to read about here

Development is a different issue.

Herko
  • 2005/3/25 16:30

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

This will be the third time I say this, and I'm glad Rowdie sees it too... it's not about 'what can we do to make XOOPS better', but about 'how can we promote people to use the XOOPS we now have'.

Or is it that we feel that XOOPS as it currently is, is not good enough to promote or recommend to others?

Documentation is being wrotten, for newbb2 it's already there. Packages are being considered and created, each for a specific usergroup. There is a QA process that's starting up, development is going strong, and will only grow stronger.

Lets not create a long 'if only XOOPS had.........' list, and create a campaign that will put the XOOPS we DO have on the map

Herko

luciano
  • 2005/3/25 16:58

• luciano

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/3

I think that we all know what XOOPS has to offer. Just like every other product XOOPS also has some downsides, just forget them for a while. As soon XOOPS gets more users there will be more input and XOOPS will improve even more.

The things we can do now are simple: there I go again with my label (Athorised XOOPS Intergrator). We need to find some site builders willing to promote xoops, give them a label, put them on a list and give them support. It's an easy thing to do.

We need more banners, buttons etc.

We need a corporate identity, wich has to be used by all local support sites. XOOPS should be something that you want to buy for a few hundred bucks. Potential users should be shocked that it is for free.

We need to be present at computerfairs.

We need some sponsors (for t-shirts, flyers, ...)

We need to spread "the word", hum you know what I mean. Convince schools to make their website with Xoops, try to convince popular sites to switch to Xoops...

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits