hyperpod
Themes and Module 'subthemes'
  • 2005/3/4 9:35

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

When a theme is created for a particular site, it is a good thing to create elements for the modules to fit your site as well.

Although, when a XOOPS theme is released for public, i dont feel it is a good idea include too much like newBB icons or other module specific items.

Unless, the theme is meant to be for forum sites, then how would you know what modules to create subthemes for?

What do you think?

_Dan

LazyBadger
Re: Themes and Module 'subthemes'

You can (and better - have) to add changed templates for modules (if you change images, you can add folder to theme's tree and, also, templates for modules, which interfere with your new images). Because it can be not only forum, but - common site images... for search, user profile.
Otherwise everybody appeared in my situation - I have good theme ("Borg Modified" - dark black-green theme) but can't use it while I didn't find images replacement in style of theme

JasonMR
  • 2005/3/4 10:51

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

This is with a problem that we are trying to address with the XOOPS Theme Forge.

The problem is this: Theme designers either design for their or a clients needs, meaning, a well designed theme, will only be adapted for a specific set of modules, explicitly those, they or their clients use.

Currently if you download a theme, you will most likely need to edit the templates of modules you have installed, due to the above.

One can't expect designers to develop template addaption for their themes, for every existing module out there. Never the less, people do adapt templates for their needs, so what we need is a cental template repository.

Now the sturucture of this repository seems overwhelming at first, but its outcome is largely dependent on community support, IOW member contributions.

Currently we already have a nice theme collection together. Never the less, as stated above, the look and feel is not only governed by themes, but also by templates. This has been a negleted side, when talking about themeing XOOPS powered sites.

XTF will organize projects, that have set as their goal, to develop different sets of templates, with a concern for layout and interface design, IOW how best to present, give access to, and collect data.

A good idea would be, to have different teams, that take upon them, to collect template sets of modules, which are addaptions for specific themes.

To display the organisation a little clearer, let me try myself with an example. You Dan have just released hypertheme. As this is your theme, you would start of the project, asking users of your theme, to send to you their template modifications. Some you will like, others you wont. Never the less, on your project page, just as we have a file repository on dev.xoops.org, there will be a file repository for projects hosted on XTF.

So all template files sent to you, you upload to ths file reository. Which should grow with module template sets, that you don't use, and never have bothered with, but are addapted for your theme, so that more people can use your theme now, without having to worry about template addaption.

Additonaly you can offer different kinds of GUI for exisiting modules. I am hopeing here, that there will evolve special interest groups, that will concentrate on the GUI of certain modules. We do already have one such group, which is trying to develop a new set of templates for newBB forums.

There is another solution to the above problem, which is to standardise template design of modules, but that is something that would take a lot of discussion, and even more work, while I'm not even sure, it is satisfyingly doable.

So, to answer your question, yes it would be best, if templates matching your theme existed for all modules, but no one can expect you to do this work (especially not on your own, and not being paid for). While this would be a great feat, and an admirable contribution, I'm sure you would prefer to work on new modules, than 'playing' around with template sets But get others to send their adaptions to you, and include a modified template set with your theme files. In the end, it all comes down to, how much work you want and can comit to a project.....

hyperpod
  • 2005/3/4 11:00

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

When can we have the XTF up and running?

I would love to submit a theme and take subthemes for it that people can download a MegaTheme.

Plus, there is a language issue... NewBB uses words in its grfx buttons, so XOOPS Theme Forge would be a good place to get alternate subthemes for newBB for other languages possibly too..

sure not all can be available, that is alot of work...
but as you mentioned, over time, there could be alot of choices and MegaThemes built and available on XOOPS Theme Forge.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Cheers,

_Dan

JasonMR
  • 2005/3/4 11:13

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

Well, we also have an icon repository, where we hope to collect differnt language buttons, as well as alternatives.

We wont open to the public, until

a) internal organisation is up to scratch
b) we have moved to an official domain
c) there is enough content to entertain new visitors and members
d) MyXoopsForge modules are set up and running, so that projects can be set up (no good in having a forge, where nothing can be forged )

While there is much more work, the above four points need to be cleared first. Never the less, if you are interested in contributing, you surely are welcome. As mentioned above though, you unfortunatly will not be able to set up a project just yet. I've posted for help on dev.xoops.org, and I'm still waiting for help, which I'm sure will arive, as soon as the apropriate people have time.

XTF will still take some time, but the more people chip in, contribute, and help wher help is needed, the quicker we will be able to open XTF

On another note: themes can, and according to current planning, will still be submited to xoops.org, where the theme repository is at. We might need to rediscuss this point though, but not at this stage. Though, I did want to have this mentioned to you, as you stated something about wanting to submit a theme. If you have any themes you would like to offer others, please do so with xoops.org

Though, just reread your posting, and it might be, that you have a project in mind, that I have not understood. If you want to talk about your theme ideas, XTF is definetly the place, so I will set you up again, and send you the details.

Regards and Thanks
JasonMR

hyperpod
  • 2005/3/4 11:19

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

why couldnt you get a subdomain like:

xtf.xoops.org or maybe themes.xoops.org or themesforge.xoops.org

for this project? It could be similar to SF style hosting or you could even host it on ANY server, anywhere by editing the DNS.

obviously, xoops.org would need to approve this, and would be great not to have to pay for a domain name for this xoops-centric project....also, xoops.org is already paid for, so its just a matter of getting it approved.

Just an idea.

Best Regards,

_Dan

JasonMR
  • 2005/3/4 11:44

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

You are refering to my point b), which is largely dependent on a), as much as on c), which again depends largely on d).

There has been no decision made, on what kind of sub to use (again matching my point a)), but the xoops.org team has always signaled support, and a possible later adoption, once it is clear, what and how a Theme Forge would work, look like, etc...

So all is in the works, though as Depeche Mode stated in a song of theirs "It's a question of time..."

Oh, BTW some historic background:

There had been work done by a few members of xoops.org a while back, to create themes.xoops.org. Unfortunatly, and to me, for no apparent reason, activities halted, a theme repository opened on xoops.org, and the idea of a separate site dealing with themes for XOOPS was dropped.

Then the discussion started once again on xoops.org (please search for this, if interested, haven't got a link handy), at which community members again expressed desire for something like a theme forge.

There were many ideas, but never did a excepeted concept arise/evolve. As the need and desire was there, and also members claiming their interest and willingness to work and contribute towards the idea, Herko launched a mailing list.

The mailing list proved none efficient to get anywhere, so StudioC and I just created a site, to host a pre-XOOPS Theme Forge, IOW providing cyber space, to grow what we want. Once XTF members feel happy with what they have built, organisation efforts will concentrate on the going public of XTF.

There was the idea of having a public opening being accompanied by a contest, but that is just more work, which at this stage, is better not even contemplated....never the less, still in the back of our minds

Hope this info is of interest.....

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits