m0nty
Disaster! & a stupid lesson to learn
  • 2005/2/4 2:38

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

well i woke up yesterday mornin to a computer screen that said "primary hard drive failure"

ouch *&^% and un-recoverable, lost all files (60gb of mp3) and all the latest XOOPS and x-ipb stuff i was working on. :(

good job i actually uploaded a tubemod for ipb arcade before i went to bed or i'd have had to have started that all from the start.

so being as i lost everything and so stupidly hadn't backed any of it up in 3 months + i decided to scrap microsoft and have installed suse linux 9.1 pro..

never really used linux before as an o/s except when it was a linux server i was hosted with.. so gotta learn how to use it.. (i must say after 3hrs of using it, i'm converted :) it's faster, smoother and more functional/configurable than windows)

so can any1 tell me where i can get some good editing software such as like dreamweaver mx or anything for linux?

WarDick
Re: Disaster! & a stupid lesson to learn
  • 2005/2/4 2:53

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

I've had the same lesson in hard knocks. I switched to slackware it is soooo good. What desktop environment are you contemplating? I have tried all that I can find. I have settled on KDE. Many of my favorite tools are not available for linux but you can always learn some new ones. Check out Quanta+ the latest version and Bluefish for html and web development. Gimp for image manipulation and inkscape for scalable vector graphics. I have noticed from your posts that we have similar backgrounds in electronics industry there are many good tools for all engineering work. I no longer design printed circuit boards or embedded software so I can not make a good recommendation of these tools but I have found many.

Good Luck with linux you will never go back.

m0nty
  • 2005/2/4 3:19

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

am using KDE 3.2.1 and i quite like it :) still figuring out etc exactly what can be done regarding customization as there seems to be a hell of a lot that can be customised..

Montisarts

*spooked* and backing up files AS WE SPEAK

m0nty
  • 2005/2/5 13:20

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

hi guys :) finally getting things back together i hope.. am getting used to linux now and how it works.. just a matter of finding software that i like now..

have managed to get a test server setup and have installed XOOPS and x-ipbm successfully altho i haven't installed any other hacks yet. and i'm really loving the KDE gui with linux, it kinda puts MS windows to shame.. so i'll hopefully be back on track again to some extent within the next few days..

btw does anybody know where i can get some good P2P filesharing software for linux that's simple to install and setup as i got a lot of music to recover.. also is there any good audio editing and mixing software available at all i'd like something similar to sonic foundry soundforge 6 & logic audio platinum etc??

LazyBadger

Find e-Mule for P2P networing, and... remember only one URL for most linux needshttp://www.freshmeat.net.
I heard something about sound-editors under Tux, but... they all far below SoundForge

m0nty
  • 2005/2/5 15:50

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

thanks LB :) will look into that..

shame on the audio editing.. if need be i'll just have to install windows on a spare drive and use it just for producing music with.

but by the looks of things, i can't see me moving back to windows anymore.. well not fully anyway :)

Gambero[removed]

I heard that there was a petition sent to Macromedia and a Linux version of Dreamweaver is now in progress ... just wait a little.

If you still can't wait try to use this.

Enjoy using Linux.

JMorris
  • 2005/2/5 16:48

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Linux user. I finished converting over in December. I've been a user of Linux for over a year, but I still had XP as my primary OS until December. Since I administer a network of Windows computers, I was getting a little sick of maintaining Windows boxes all day, only to come home and do more. You'll find that Linux is a very low maintenance OS. It's a bit of a pain to get configured correctly, but once you've got it setup, all you have to do is enjoy. I let cron run virus scans for me daily. I do a simple yum update once a week, and I clean out my firefox cache every so often. That's it. My machine runs faster now than it ever did on any Windows OS. BTW, I run Red Hat Fedora Core 2 (a very easy OS to get use to).

As far development apps for Linux goes...

The apps suggested here are great, but you may want to spend some time getting to know vi as well. vi is a command line editor that is extremely powerful. It's not the easiest text editor in the world to use, but it has some very nice features. If you've got vi IM (improved) installed, it will even color code the code you are working on. It's particularly useful if you have shell access to your hosting service since vi is installed on all versions of *NIX by default. There is also the option of running Windows apps on WINE. Currently, you can run up to Studio MX 1.1 without any real problems. This is the route I went and I'm extremely pleased with the overall performance.

If you'd like to join a great community of *NIX users, you're more than welcome to join us at the MOVLUG. We have members from all over the world spanning every level of IT experience. If you ever find yourself in the Parkersburg, WV area, we have monthly meetings that cover all sorts of great topics.

Oh, and yeah, you can *really* tweak the way KDE looks. This is my KDE 3.2 desktop.

Resized Image

wcrwcr
  • 2005/2/5 17:13

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Hey monty

Do you know the Audacity sotware?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Free and with lots of also free plugins, converters, etc.

Give it a try

Regards,
Wilson

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits