hyperpod
Phone Book Module
  • 2005/1/26 18:10

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

hi,

I am starting a module intended for XOOPS Intranet Phone Book system. I plan to implement the basic features such as listing by dept and name search, and members having multiple phone numbers.

Name|Dept|phone#s

And of course an admin section that allows the administrator to populate the phone book.

This is a simple module, but I would like to make it feature packed anyway.

Does anyone have some ideas/suggestions on what else should be added for the ultimate intranet phonebook ?

I will consider all ideas and implement what makes sense.

Thanks,

limecity
Re: Phone Book Module
  • 2005/1/26 19:00

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

Allow phone number submition and admin validation.
that would be nice.

WarDick
  • 2005/1/26 19:51

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Make it compatable with LDAP to be useful as a tool. Otherwise xdirctory works pretty good.

hyperpod
  • 2005/1/26 22:06

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

Nice, will do!

users will be able to edit their phonebook info, and then the admin can set the option if that is moderated or not.

Great idea!

Cheers,

hyperpod
  • 2005/1/26 22:11

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

I know very little about the details of LDAP, but i read some info after your post.

Do you mean that the module should be able to connect to an LDAP server to sync the database of phone numbers?

Im guessing LDAP supports more than just email info, so does this include phone numbers?

Or do you mean something like always conencting with the LDAP server whenever a search or something is made?

Already, I plan to allow importing of a CVS file so that the master list can be maintained in Excel. But i also know that this may not be as robust of a solution as LDAP might be.

Im very interested to hear more about why and what of connecting to LDAP.

Thanks for the input,

limecity
  • 2005/1/27 0:24

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

mind telling me whats LDAP?

Antoine
  • 2005/1/27 0:30

• Antoine

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/14

Lightweight Directory Access Protocol,

So basically something like SQL but just a wee bit different to us non-believers

See: LDAP

And the links given there.

jegelstaff

LDAP is a minefield. And it is not really like SQL. SQL is, well, like the name suggests, a standardized query language that you use to retrieve info from a database.

LDAP is a specialized database system optimized for storing contact type information and which provides very fast read access. Setting up and connecting to an LDAP directory is a chore, to say the least. It is no where near as straight forward as adding a datatable to your XOOPS DB and then querying it.

That's not to say it can't be done. And integration with LDAP is a very very cool thing, and very very useful.

However, if your organization does not already have an LDAP directory then I see absolutely no point in building this functionality into your module. None, you're just making extra work for yourself.

--Julian

hyperpod
  • 2005/1/27 5:55

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

That makes alot of sense jegelstaff.

Here's the cherry on top: I dont even have access to an LDAP server that contains data.. and i highly doubt anyone wants me to connect to theirs, due to the sensitive info usually contained.

so even if I wanted to, at this point I dont think i could develop it without having one already, as you mentioned.

If the purpose tho was to import the existing ldap data into the XOOPS db, just to populate the XOOPS phone book with alot of entries, then maybe thats a good idea.

I think im just gunna provide CVS import tho.

Cheers,

aured91
  • 2005/1/31 20:44

• aured91

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/31

Am interested in your module. have you finished it yet?

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits