khampster
newbb 2.01 lag issue.
  • 2005/1/26 1:25

• khampster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/19

i just noticed a tremendous lag in this module... is there a way to quicken this up a bit?? let me know . thanks!

m0nty
Re: newbb 2.01 lag issue.
  • 2005/1/26 1:34

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

in newbb preferences, u can set PNG hack to GIF and images to gif instead of png.. that will increase speed slightly in IE altho probably not enough to be noticeable somewhat.

i don't think there's much else that can really be done to increase speed too much.

i'm not exactly sure why, but 1 thing that makes me think could be a cause is the amount of javascript used..

on my old site i had a lot of javascript drop down menu's and mouseovers for navigation round the site, and i ended up taking them off in the end due to a dramatic slow down.

altho i really do like the way newbb has progressed, i do agree compared to other forums it is somewhat slower..

removing un necessary features will increase speed too.. if u really can cope with not having the online user section, then switch it off.. also do u really need to see the HP, XP & MP stats? if not turn them off, same with the show groups option etc..

reducing the amount of topics per page aswell will also help..

gippah
  • 2005/1/26 1:41

• gippah

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/10

NewBB 2.0 was slow ... 2.1 is even slower.

It's to the point now where it is ridiculous.

The system load on the machine is near zero, everything else is fast, even everything else on the XOOPS installation is fast ... but there's just something not right at all about newBB 2.0+.

Is it possible to downgrade from newBB 2.0 to 1.0? I hear that version is at least fast enough to use....

Hopefully someone will fix the speed issue in newBB sooner as opposed to later. People are starting to think that XOOPS is slow, when it's not, they just think it is because of the newBB module.......

khampster
  • 2005/1/26 1:42

• khampster

• Just popping in

yea ive done that already.. just wanted to know if there are any other solutions to get it fixed... thanks.

khampster
  • 2005/1/26 1:45

• khampster

• Just popping in

Quote:

gippah wrote:
NewBB 2.0 was slow ... 2.1 is even slower.

It's to the point now where it is ridiculous.

The system load on the machine is near zero, everything else is fast, even everything else on the XOOPS installation is fast ... but there's just something not right at all about newBB 2.0+.

Is it possible to downgrade from newBB 2.0 to 1.0? I hear that version is at least fast enough to use....

Hopefully someone will fix the speed issue in newBB sooner as opposed to later. People are starting to think that XOOPS is slow, when it's not, they just think it is because of the newBB module.......

yea... i did use newbb 1.0 and that forum was the fastest ive seen! every member in my site loves that version, until i updated to the new 2.0+ i have alot of people PM'ing me and complain about site lags and etc... plus some of my moderators are experiencing issues with their menus not coming up under the topic tools. is there a way to fix that?

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/26 2:00

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

This has been a long term issue and as monty stated thats about all you can do to help reduce the lag time. Hopefully Predator has read the issues containing the lag issues and has something in the pipeline.

But on saying this have a look at the differences between 1.0 and 2.0.1 and you will noitice why there is a lag. You have to wigh up the functionality of the newbb2 which I find amazing and I do not seem to have as much of a lag time anymore after doing what monty stated. If I was to have a choice between 1.0 and 2.0.x I would choose 2.0 even with the lag time as the functiaonality and permissions and security of that forum far outweighs the lag issue reported.

cheers
kiwiguy

jdseymour

Make sure that your moderators are listed as moderators in admin - user ranks make sure you have it enabled, then edit their profile and from the dropdown list assign the rank of moderator.

m0nty
  • 2005/1/26 2:22

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

was that post meant for the other topic JD?? lol

jdseymour

Probably, lol.

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/26 3:21

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
Make sure that your moderators are listed as moderators in admin - user ranks make sure you have it enabled, then edit their profile and from the dropdown list assign the rank of moderator.

Think JD is suffering a blonde moment or a temporal loss of sanity....

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits