weeble
Headlines Module Question (yes, more)
  • 2005/1/6 14:31

• weeble

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/6 1

I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've searched through the support forums and have found a few replies to questions that seem to answer the questions for some of those that have asked but I can't get the Headlines module working for me.

I just want to get some confirmation that I'm putting the right information into the right boxes before I give up. I've read the Headlines Module v1.0 documentation a dozen times. The only complaint I'd make is that the documentation has a great picture of the Headlines Configuraton screen but doesn't include some example URL's so that I can see where I'm going wrong.

I generally work by seeing how it's done by others and then adapt it to suit what I want.

So my question is: Can somebody who has this working please provide a practical example of the information that I need to put into the URL and URL of RDF/RSS file boxes on the configuration screen so that I can see where I'm going wrong.

Thanks in advance.

irocc
Re: Headlines Module Question (yes, more)
  • 2005/1/9 16:21

• irocc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/4 1

So I'm not the only one who is troubling with the headlines module.

Last week I was running XOOPS version 2.0.5 and then the headlines module worked perfectly.
This week I upgraded to version 2.0.9 and now the following happens: The rss-feeds I added when I was running 2.0.5 are working as expected. But new added rss-feeds are not working. Even when I make an exact copy of an existing rss-feed it does not work.

What am I doing wrong?

MadFish
  • 2005/1/9 16:57

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Weeble:

The URL box is just the link to the actual website, eg:

https://xoops.org

The URL of the RDF/RSS files is the important one, that's the link to the actual newsfeed. An example (the feed from this site) would be:

https://xoops.org/backend.php

If you enter those and it still doesn't work, something else is wrong.

Irocc: I had the Headlines module mysteriously stop working once as well. I found that if I updated the module in modules administration, it started working again. I have no idea why but maybe worth a shot.

LazyBadger

Quote:

irocc wrote:
What am I doing wrong?

Use core "Headlines" .
Seriously, I strongly recommend to all - use fresh XHLD (2.82 for today AFAIK) - it "eats" all feeds, which I tried without any glitch

irocc
  • 2005/1/10 18:05

• irocc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/4 1

Quote:

MadFish wrote: Irocc: I had the Headlines module mysteriously stop working once as well. I found that if I updated the module in modules administration, it started working again. I have no idea why but maybe worth a shot.

I tried that as well, but it didn't work.
Today I just clicked the headlines-link on my XOOPS test site and it all worked. I didn't change anything since my last request on this forum. Maybe is has something to with the cache time. So I guess I'm just impatient.

Thanx for the tip using XHLD. It's worth a try.

weeble
  • 2005/1/12 12:52

• weeble

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/6 1

Thanks everybody for your replies. The stress has been too much for me and I had to go away for a quick holiday

I'll have a play around with it again and see what I can do. Of couse, another way for me to find out how to implement it successfully would have been to track down a XOOPS site running Headlines successfully and ask them how they set it up - doh!

Didn't think about that until I was on the boat on the way to my holiday.

Thanks again though for your replies.

jahotchk
  • 2005/1/24 23:16

• jahotchk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/21

The XOOPS New Feed works for me. It's the RSS news feeds from CNN that are not displaying. Is there something special you have to do for XOOPS to display XML or RSS news feeds? Because the XOOPS feed is PHP and it reads it just fine.

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits