Macs have just got even better
  • 2005/1/12 3:12

• richbrown

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/20

Hi Guys

Take a look at the latest Mac goodies!

Mac Hot News

Feast your eyes on something a pc will never reach - style, sophistication and nothing to do with Bill Gates and M$!

Love it, love Macs.

Rich

m0nty
Re: Macs have just got even better
  • 2005/1/12 3:43

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

dunno bout a pc not reaching it.. end of day the pc is dumb so are macs.. they only as good as the software used and the ideas and developments of the hardware companies..

do they still use 1 mouse button? what was that all about anyway.. lol

if i was a video editor or ardent music producer, i'd probly buy a mac simply cos u can't buy logic audio software for the pc anymore.. well u can buy it but not any new versions..

as for style and sophistication, my tower looks pretty nice in it's home made case (yes homemade, my local college let me use their workshops) it has flashing lights (with a sound to light unit lol) and a 7" LCD panel on the front (from a modified PSone lcd screen) which displays the cpu voltages, temperatures, resources, cpu load, fan speeds etc.. <<< now that's stylish :P

the only thing unstylish abt my pc is it's crappy cpu, not enuff memory, hard drive is too small and i use M$ lol

other than that i'll stick with me pc.. lol

hmmm M$ lol but there's a great solution to not using M$ and thats linux.. lol

intel352
  • 2005/1/12 5:12

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

macs have supported usb multi-button mouses for quite awhile now.

anyways, the mac mini is a cool idea, but underpowered for the price. that's one problem with macintosh pcs, they've always been about twice as expensive as they should be.

i do love OS X though. if i ever had the opportunity to build the "perfect computer", it would be a pc w/ my amd64 processor + OS X

mac hardware is too closed and too expensive, and pc operating systems aren't anywhere near as well designed as OS X

hehe

monde
  • 2005/1/12 7:05

• monde

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/15

I'm sorry, I've never been a fan of mac hardware. They're overpriced and over-rated. I currently have to manage a graphics studio with a mixed macintosh/pc environment. Especially with the hardware side going increasingly towards generic pc components, I find the prices Apple charges ridiculous.
Now, on the software side of the coin, I absolutely love OSX and wish Microsloth would learn a thing or two about interface design, APIs and kernel optimization.

- Sid
ScALR Network Solutions

m0nty
  • 2005/1/14 9:20

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

i think RISC OS beats em all, shame it's not widely used anymore..

Peekay
  • 2005/1/14 10:28

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Designing websites to be standards-compliant helps things work cross-platform, but the only way to be really sure they work on a Mac is to check them in the Mac browsers.

For web designers that use PCs, the Mac mini would be a comparitively cheap way to offer clients a guarantee that their website will look great on a PC *and* a Mac. Even if you just plug it in to perform that one task.

On the other hand, if it is built to a price-point it may not be as good as it looks. I look forward to reading some reviews.

m0nty
  • 2005/1/14 11:37

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

u could always use a MAC OS/X emulator for the pc to check compatibility.. but i hardly think it's worth it as the vast majority of users all use pc based..

but as a rule of thumb, if your site works with most browsers such as IE, opera, firefox, mozilla etc, then u can almost guarantee they'll look ok on a mac.. not always tho but that mainly depends on the complexity of the theme and css u use..

intel352
  • 2005/1/14 12:35

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

the 1.4ghz G4 default processor would be fine, ram would need to be upped to 512 (currently 256), and if i were buying one, i'd go for a superdrive as well.

if i weren't so much about raw speed & power, i would've ordered one instead of the pc i just built

Peekay
  • 2005/1/14 12:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
u could always use a MAC OS/X emulator for the pc

Sorry mOnty, there isn't one. There's a emulator in development called Pear PC but it's not a commercial product.

The differences aren't as radical as they used to be and you are right that most well structured sites should look fine on the Mac, especially with current OSX browsers. It's the little things however that can spoil your day. I recently spent a morning tweaking the CSS for a drop-down menu before I could get it to work in IE and Firefox PC and Safari on the Mac.

I think if you make your living from website design it's good to have access to a Mac to check things. You never know when a client will proudly produce their Apple Titanium Powerbook in a meeting and say "lets take a look at the site"

macmend
  • 2005/4/4 16:25

• macmend

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/27

I am fascinated that the myth of "price' still exists, with regard to mac. Of course a few skilled people can build their own cheap PCs and deal with the problems that result from it.

And yes there are very cheap PCs, and i guess thats where the mac mini is trying to compete.

However I am sure there was a piece of research by Gartner that showed the costs of a Mac, even in the high price hey day, lowered considerably over time as they cost less to maintain.

I am lucky that I manage an all mac system and network,(mostly OS X with two macs on OS9) it is so stable, I worry i have done myself out of a job.

Just to add, I have just converted my mac support web site over to xoops, having been on IPB for a long while, I got into XOOPs when I built an help desk at work using the xhelp module. It seems to work well (sometimes a little slow) but i i like the community.

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits