Yero
Protecting text from being copied?
  • 2005/1/4 13:30

• Yero

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/10/1

It happends a lot that people copy articles without notice on another site. Articles that had cost a lot of work and sometimes even money.

Is there a simple way to protect text? For example to block the function to select text or to review to source code. This is probably more a browser-related problem, but maybe there exists a xoops-addon for it (haven't found it yet).

I removed the print option already and use several pages on my articles. This makes it harder to be copied, but not impossable.

Any ideas?

ladon
Re: Protecting text from being copied?
  • 2005/1/4 13:36

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

there might be simple solutions like disable rightclick or protect the source (altough both can be countered) but that won't slove anything. there are many different ways to copy txt like simply selecting it and hitting ctr-c. With those simple solutions mentioned before you will only scare off the small group (very small i think) dat know nothing more dan select an right-click copy.

btw, removing the printbutton is something people can get around as well by typing the url for that option themselfs.

carnuke
  • 2005/1/4 13:49

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Yero, There is no sure way to stop copying. There are various encryption scripts and cheap ways as alreday stated above, but if someone really wants the material, they will get it very easily.

Best advice I know is to

1- Display a copyright notice, in words, in full on each page.
2- Allow visitors to reproduce your work but say they MUST include your credits and a link back.

Many sites do this as a compromise and also to help link popularity.

One other trick is to display material in PDF. Of course it can be copied, but not so easily if you disable the edit function. It may just be enough to disuade unscrupulous visitors.

Shine
  • 2005/1/4 15:45

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Although you cannot solve it, you can make it a bit difficult.
Rightclickmouse (as already mentioned) and by putting:
<!--PREVENT COPYING<oncontextmenu="return false" ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"> -->

in de body-tag. This is a small solution for a big problem which is related to peoples lack of respect for webmaster's work.

Grtz., Shine

karuna
  • 2005/1/4 16:23

• karuna

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/29

some not regular words contain ur copyright having the same color as the bgcolor in the interline may help a little.

but be careful it maybe conside as cheating by search engine.

Yero
  • 2005/1/4 16:52

• Yero

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/10/1

Thanks for the replies so far. No final solutions (if they even exist), but these are some very handy tricks.

I'll try the copy protection, some legal notes and the hidden text trick.

--

Would it be best to include that code in theme.html or rather in article templates? (it doesn't seem work to work in themes - still testing)

And would that work for both IE and Firefox?

Red_Bee
  • 2006/3/31 14:32

• Red_Bee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/12

I wonder if anybody manage to make this work, please share if you have.

Login

Who's Online

203 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 203

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits