libervis
WeBlog module - will anyone revive it?
  • 2004/11/16 5:15

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

Hello

As some maybe already know the weBlog project is dead. It's the only conclusion to come to after months of complete inactivity.

However, i believe that weBlog was and is the best multiuser multiblog system that seamlesly integrates with xoops. I know that there are others, but those others (wp, popnup etc) are either not multiuser or don't fully integrate or something definitely lacks when compared to weBlog.

I can say that weBlog is exactly what i need for my site and no other module can fill that need better. However, it is still not enought. It lacks image upload functionality and custumization.
Just recently i was also asked about the feature to add RSS/XM L for other blogs to the certain users blog.

I plan to stick with weBlog and i have already called on my site if anyone that knows PHP would like to take the project. In that case it's homepage and if needed files can be hosted at libervis.com with subdomain and e-mail address for everyone that would continue working on it. It would be a libervis-native project. I am calling for the same here. I don't ask for attachement to libervis.com, that is just an idea. The most important thing to me is that the project returns to life and that it continues to evolve to it's full potential. The first features that should be implemented are definitely image upload capability and some cosmetic changes (for user blogs to look more like a theme and less like "just lines of text").

Is anyone interested to spend any of it's time on this project? It doesn't require full time commitment or anything like that, just someone to keep it active and going better.

In the worse case, could anyone be willing to just code in an image upload capability at least? That would be a start.

It would be a hell of a shame for a module like that to go wasted just like that. It's one of the top-notch "products" of XOOPS community. It's even been mentioned in some general XOOPS reviews talking about it almost like it was an official blog module. It must get to life!

Thank you very much.
Daniel

libervis
Re: WeBlog module - will anyone revive it?
  • 2004/11/18 19:50

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

So nobody is interested? I must say it's really a shame for such a good module to go to waste. If i could only have enough time to learn php i would take the project myself, but i don't so..

If however anyone would still like to take this i'd be willing to help wherever i can. I am sure other webmasters will appreciate it as well as i believe many are looking for exactly what weblog can provide.

Do i have a reason to loose my optimism about this? I hope not.

Thank you
Daniel

jmass
  • 2004/11/18 19:52

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Can you please explain to me what you want from a blogger that the new News system does not provide.

From my point of view, it is a blog.

libervis
  • 2004/11/18 20:04

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

The ability for every user to have it's own blog which he can customize. I know that news module can serve as a blog, but so can the wordpress, popnup blog etc., but only as a personal one man blog.

Weblog module has that ability but is no longer in development and lacks some essential features.

Thank you
Daniel

dlh
  • 2004/11/18 20:31

• dlh

• Since: 2002/2/20

You can see how the weblog and the news is used in different contexts on my site:

www.guitargearheads.com

I also would love to support continued development of webBlog. It allows me to post news and my membership to have their own editorial "space".

Thanks,

Dan

jmass
  • 2004/11/18 20:48

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I understand the need to have a news section seperate from the blog....

What about a clone of the new module that hacked the filter interface to display like the weblog one does now?

Then you could benefit from the future dev of the news module, not have to maintain much caode, and have a rock solid bolg module.

libervis
  • 2004/11/19 0:41

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

well, i don't know what exactly would we get by it.

I still actually think that weblog has all that is needed here for a great future multiuser blogging system, customizeable for every user and it's blog with all the needed features. It has a great foundation and it doesn't needs yet too much to make a great blog module out of it. Basically it currently just lacks image uploads functionality and ability to add personalized links to every user blog.

That's why i don't see too much benefit from making a clone of news or doing anything new as we already have what we need, we just need to continue it's development, that's it. It really doesn't actually require too much work i believe. For the beginning we could add these two mentioned features and make some "cosmetic" enhancements and then continue adding features and improvements as we go and as we need it. There is no need for any rework and a tough jobs as the foundation is there, fully functional and stable.

It would be a great shame to forget it just like that..

Thanks
Daniel

limecity
  • 2004/11/19 3:51

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

I agree! its one of the best, simple, compact, easy to use weblog module.

several function add on will make the module better~.
image uploading, text formating.

I would love to see this module back in development

ullone
  • 2004/11/19 11:41

• ullone

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/24

I also. ...

libervis
  • 2004/11/21 2:44

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

Good to hear you guys agree..

So now.. hmm.. we need someone who knows php enough to continue it's development or at least add these so much needed features to make it better and then we'll look further.

As i said, i'd be willing to help where i can (bug testing and reporting, providing a homepage, docs etc.)

Thank you
Daniel

Login

Who's Online

205 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 205

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits