Mikhail
"Orkut like" module [Orkut, LinkedIn, Friendster, Zaibatsu, Tribe.net, multiply, etc ]
  • 2004/11/12 18:43

• Mikhail

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/1/19

Quote:
"When Orkut, LinkedIn, Friendster, Zaibatsu and Tribe.net just don't cut it, meet PeopleAggregator, an open-source, PHP-written, FOAF-based social network. There's the site and there's the source in case you decide to launch your own. I found out about PeopleAggregator reading this interview with Mark Canter on Read/Write Web today." I wish such sites would provide profile-conversion tools to encourage jumping ship from one to another.

Details
http://slashdot.org/articles/04/03/30/2333258.shtml?tid=126&tid=185&tid=95

Quote:
So, I've been working on a project called PeopleAggregator, and we've been talking about integrating with a lot of different platforms, among them Drupal.

Details
http://w4.evectors.it/itEntDirectory/topic?topic=peopleaggregator&chunck=1

Quote:

September 10, 2004 - 09:03 AM
Open-source social-networking package recommendations?

Any open-source social-networking package recommendations? Functionality, installation, environment/platform considerations?

Many Thanks!

Details [and lot of answers]:
http://www.tribe.net/thread/804ab2e7-7093-43f4-ab00-df4271506980?tribeid=322ce0e2-5b4d-4bda-8030-78cb93abd866&threads=unthreaded

Quote:
Slashster: An Open Source PHP / MySQL Friend of a Friend implementation (e.g: Orkut, Friendster)

It's really cool to see that there's more than one Open-Source FOAF project going on. Diversity is certainly a good My best wishes to People Aggregator.

Slashdot has a weird way of working. I submitting a story for Slashster on February 22nd, and it got rejected within 5 minutes of posting it. Ah well. I guess Slashster will remain mostly my own bastard child...

Details:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/slashster/

Mikhail
Re: "Orkut like" module [Orkut, LinkedIn, Friendster, Zaibatsu, Tribe.net, multiply, etc ]
  • 2004/11/12 18:49

• Mikhail

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/1/19

Drupal going ahead?

Quote:
PeopleAggregator and Drupal
marccanter - April 19, 2004 - 19:30

Dudes and Dudesses,

After careful consideration - the PeopleAggregator project has decided to use nothing other than Drupal for a lots of our stuff - basically building out multiple KINDS of accounts and a full-fledged 'digital lifestyle aggregator'.

Needless to say this brings a full FOAF based social network into teh Drupal world - all open source and available - and compatible with Drupal.

More later.....

Let me know if anybody wants to help!

- Marc [ at ] broadbandmechanics.com

- blog =http://blogs.it/0100198

- company =http://broadbandmechanics.com

chrometuna
Re: "Orkut like" module [Orkut, LinkedIn, Friendster, Zaibatsu, Tribe.net, multiply, etc ]
  • 2004/11/28 4:56

• chrometuna

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/24

Any progress on this? I am very interested, but I do not posess the skills to jump in and help out.

I really really really really NEED a friendster foaf social networking module for my site!

I know I am not the only one....

Is there anything like this available that will run on xoops?
Or maybe some stand alone freeware that might work?

Expiring minds want to know!

Cheers

irmtfan
  • 2004/11/28 5:52

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i think there is no need a module for orkut like site.
just must improve the profile and so on and this would be even more powerful than orkut. e.g.:
- put peronalize profile , friends profile , job profile , ... all of them must be totally functional
- friend list
- ability to rate someone by the others
- write testimonial by others
- scarp book and all these thing

and i hope see all these in 2.2 . MAYBE SOON ???

ozp11
  • 2005/12/22 0:56

• ozp11

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/2 1

any news?

we really need some changes in XOOPS to meet the actual reality regarding community sites

m0nty
  • 2005/12/22 1:07

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

errrr what changes and what reality?

ozp11
  • 2005/12/22 1:28

• ozp11

• Just popping in

we dont need really changes, but "changes". Re-organization of many things.

eg:
avatar - no pixel limit, instead it generates thumbs: normal and small (to apear along every message that the user post on the system)

profile integrated: at your own page in the system you can post news, insert data on modules, have personal, profissional and other kinds of profiles, also you have your owm image gallery. post in your own blog.

The images, data, messages , texts, blogs can be also found on a menu item like now.

Community: instead forum we could also have a community. you subscribe to one, create one, and can view others who subscribed too.

dont you agree?

I have a XOOPS website and its getting outdated because It does not have such features.

This is going to happend one day or another.

those social networks are growing a lot and now the "regular" systems must adapt to it's new logic

does not need to be a "find a friend" system. but needs to incorporate some of its features

m0nty
  • 2005/12/22 2:21

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

submit the avatar request to the features request.

profiles are integrated with XOOPS 2.2

the gallery etc, well there's modules for that.. everything else can be done with modules.

remember XOOPS is a platform, it's not a full blown website like you suggesting, if those features were in the core y bother having modules?

ozp11
  • 2005/12/22 3:06

• ozp11

• Just popping in

Ive posted here:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44979&start=0#forumpost197261

m0nty I understand your point, you are right.

But what I say is not just about XOOPS core. Its about a new logic that will become mainstream sooner or latter.

So its about XOOPS and the modules.

I know its possible to customize now. Some things can be done hacking, templating and so on.

But I think that would be good if we'd pay more attention to the fact that the "social network" will play a central role from now on.

Take an example:

We have private messages here dont we?
but do we use often??

What is the first thing you do when you find someone on orkut (and similars). You click on his/her profile and find a lot of stuff about his/her

We have the profile here, but is not that easy or not that smooth

The modules organize information based on modules itself.
That information can be organized on other matters making the "person/author" the central node.

I dont know if you are understanding my point of view

attock
Community[myspace,orkut,facebook] Style User Profile System
  • 2007/8/5 15:00

• attock

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/8/20

ello ~

I came to know about XOOPS after wasting my money at a clone of XOOPS called PHP Myspace Gold from popscripts.com. The aim was to build a community website, and php myspace had some kool features (obviously I didn't know it was a clone then).

So anyway I have been working on making one on xoops. I am not a pro programmer, and I started learning php\mysql after installing XOOPS on my website.

Now I have finally created something by combining different features from myspace\orkut\phpizabi and facebook. I am attaching some of the snaps below.

Profile Home Page for Not Registered Member i.e. userinfo.php
------------------------------------------------------
Resized Image

Rest of the Images below are for Registered Members
Resized Image

Full Profile
Resized Image

Comments (taken from xoopsxtremeguestbook)
Resized Image

Right Panel
Resized Image

Friends (from XOOPS myfriends module)
Resized Image

Edit Profile
Resized Image

A summary of this script is:
- You can add\delete friends (from myfriends module)
- Write them comments (from xtremeguestbook)
- Privacy: You can choose who is allowed to view your profile e.g. you can only allow your friends to write you a comments, or you can allow every body to write you a comment. Others options would be: you can choose who can view your friends, comments and pictures.
- You can get notification when someone adds you as a friend, or when someone writes you a comments (later on: when some one writes you a pm and you get a new notification in your XOOPS notification thing)
- You can create a complete profile of your own with your liking and disliking and match making questions. (Later on this will be used to search members with common interest)
- Myspace type page (This has been disabled though). Before (as you can see in the news article - link pasted below -) users were able to choose a b\g pic and colors of their own while for their page.

if you want to play with the features you can gohttp://www.hotxpot.com/userinfo.php?uid=2

Although the script is complete, but its more like a php script and not a XOOPS script. I am not very familiar with XOOPS syntaxes and many of its functions. A number of people have asked me to make this available for them to download. So the question is:

Is anyone interested in giving this script a shape module for XOOPS so that the rest of the community can benefit from this aswell.

If you are interested, I can send you the files and can assist you with any question you might have. Or perhaps we can create a new project on dev.xoops.com.

(Note: I have posted an article regarding this as well in YAXS section, but I have made some changes.)

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits