hrac
SPAW Editor for Mozilla Firefox and other
  • 2004/11/8 18:38

• hrac

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/7/15

http://www.solmetra.com/en/disp.php/en_products/en_spaw/en_spaw_intro/en_press_15

SPAW for Gecko will be available for Mozilla browsers at the end of this year. I think SPAW is better than Koivi with built in Image Library and Upload features. Is it possible to use SPAW v1.1 with X2.1/X2.2 as default editor?

SOLMETRA announces Gecko support plans for SPAW Editor

Gecko support is propably the most requested ant anticipated feature of our popular SPAW Editor product. That is why we are so excited to announce the development of Gecko-compatible version is started and is well underway. The new version -- code-named SPAW Editor 1.1 (PHP Edition) -- is due to be released later this year.

All current and future customers will be eligible for a free upgrade to 1.1.

Gecko is an HTML rendering engine behind Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape and some other browsers. For more information visit Mozilla Organization site athttp://www.mozilla.org/

SPAW Editor is a serverside control that enables programmers to easily add powerfull WYSIWYG editing features to their web applications. SPAW Editor is available as a production quality PHP class as well as beta version of .NET control. More info about SPAW Editor can be obtained at the following site:http://www.solmetra.com/spaw/

hervet
Re: SPAW Editor for Mozilla Firefox and other
  • 2004/11/8 18:44

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Quote:

hrac wrote:
All current and future customers will be eligible for a free upgrade to 1.1.

It will not be free ???!
So Kiovi is much more better...

hrac
  • 2004/11/8 18:51

• hrac

• Quite a regular

As far as I understand from this, we can use it for free because of GPL. But I'm not an GPL expert, and may be interpretable in different ways.

Taken from SPAW FAQ:
http://www.solmetra.com/en/disp.php/en_products/en_spaw/en_spaw_faq

My company would like to use SPAW Editor in content management system we are developing. Are we allowed to do that?

SPAW Editor is released free of charge under GNU General Public License (GPL). So as long as you use it in a way compatible with the terms of GPL you can use it, otherwise you can obtain SPAW Editor under different terms. In case you are not sure if your intended use is compatible with GPL check out the GPL FAQ. In short you are required to release the source code of your work based on the SPAW Editor if you distribute your software in any way. Please send your inquiries to spaw@solmetra.com

Mithrandir

ah, so if you want to include the SPAW editor in a closed-source or otherwise pay-ware (i.e. not GPL licensed) you will have to pay for a SPAW license - sounds fair enough.

This is excellent news. My main reason for not liking the SPAW editor is because of the IE-only support.

Great!

Herko
Re:SPAW Editor for Mozilla Firefox and other
  • 2004/11/8 20:40

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I'm not sure if the GPL License allows for that, it's GPL or it isn't (and once it is, it stays GPL for eternity and beyond). I checked this with 2 of the NL's Open Source Lawyers a few days ago.

AS for making it the default editor, we'll make it possible to select a default editor, whether it is Koivi or SPAW or HTML Area, or any other solution.

Herko

hrac
  • 2004/11/9 5:58

• hrac

• Quite a regular

Quote:
AS for making it the default editor, we'll make it possible to select a default editor, whether it is Koivi or SPAW or HTML Area, or any other solution.

This is very good. So we can choose which editor to be used. I think this will be available with X2.1/2.2. I'm looking forward for the first beta of 2.1

philou
  • 2004/11/9 6:34

• philou

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/5/6 8

in a article published the last month in a French magazine “coder” there is a comparative on the various CMS and the writer was filled with enthusiasm for the HTMLarea editor included in MAMBO.

It would be very nise to be able to propose a WYSIWYG editor in the next release (witch runs with IE and Gecko nav.)

ailon
  • 2004/11/11 7:34

• ailon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/11

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
I'm not sure if the GPL License allows for that, it's GPL or it isn't (and once it is, it stays GPL for eternity and beyond). I checked this with 2 of the NL's Open Source Lawyers a few days ago.
Herko

Hi,

I'm a lead developer of SPAW editor and I just wanted to clear things up regarding this statement (however I'm not sure which statement is meant by "that" in "allows for that" :).

So... Since SPAW was fully developed by Solmetra and we don't accept code contributions, we fully own the code and can release it under any license(s) we want. You can't take GPL product add something and release it as non-GPL product but you sure can take your own product and release it under GPL or any other (non-exclusive) license. Theoretically we can stop making GPL version and release 1.1 under other license but WE ARE NOT GOING TO and for sure we can't revoke GPL license on older versions.

SPAW 1.1 will be released under the same licensing scheme as previous versions which we believe is very fair (free for free open-source software, not free but inexpensive for commercial software).

Best regards.
Alan.

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits