Are multiple news modules possible?
  • 2004/10/13 0:26

• bbgds

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/23

Hi Xoopies!

I manage and edit a News website:

http://www.causenews.com

I'm real dissatisfied with the CMS we use for the site. (I'll spare you the tirade, let's just say that it's crap - and we spent $5000 for it.)

I'm trying to convince my boss that XOOPS is the way to go - much faster and cleaner. But it's important to us that we keep close to the same layout format/organization that we have now. The only way I can figure to do that is to install a seperate news mod for each category of news. We also need to be able to post news across multiple categories.

I know that this could cause database tabling issues, however. I expect that multiple installs of the same mod would probably cause subsequent installs simply not to function as they attempt to read from the same table. Any way around this?

Please advise,

ajuden
Re: Are multiple news modules possible?
  • 2004/10/13 1:22

• ajuden

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/17

The only way that I can think of to do this, would be to actually change the table names in the php code. Maybe just add another prefix. Let's say that you want 2 copies of the news module. You would need to have two separate directories for the news module under the modules folder.

Xoops
Modules
- news
- othernews (whatever you may want to name this)

Then, after you have two separate folders, you can edit the table names in the copied folder. Let's say that one of your tables is news_articles, you may want to change this to be other_news_articles, or something that corresponds to both the original name and the new name. But, this is all just a suggestion.

bbgds
  • 2004/10/13 20:23

• bbgds

• Just popping in

I should be able to change table names easily enough in phpMyAdmin, but what file do I need to change in the module to update the table name it attempts to read from?

ajuden
  • 2004/10/13 20:32

• ajuden

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/17

Which news module are you using?...could you send me a link to where you downloaded it from please?

Marco
Re:Are multiple news modules possible?
  • 2004/10/13 20:45

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

news 1.2 is clonable, see in the docs or help file provided in the module.zip you downloaded

bbgds
  • 2004/10/14 7:39

• bbgds

• Just popping in

I'm using News 1.1 currently on my own site.

I haven't started building the CauseNews site in XOOPS yet, so I haven't downloaded anything. I still have to get the go-ahead to do it.

Is News 1.2 the default that comes with 2.0.7.3? (I'm still running 2.0.7....

bbgds
  • 2004/10/14 7:41

• bbgds

• Just popping in

Ajuden....

I would be happy to send you a link, but this is the default News mod that came with my copy of Xoops. However, you can find News Mods in the Module Repository. (But I'm sure you already knew that - just trying to be overly-helpful.)

rowdie
  • 2004/10/14 9:26

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

The news module used on this site is news 1.2.1 which is considered the latest stable release. It's available on the dev.xoops.org site.

It is not cloneable by default, there are many changes you have to make to acheive that, but it is doable.

Steps to take for each copy of news.
1.Change the name of the news folder, give it a unique name (lower case letters). i.e. example_news
2.Open xoops_version.php, change modversion['dirname'] = "example news";
3.In xoops_version.php, change the name of the sql tables to make them unique modversion['tables'][0]="example_stories"
4.Change the table names in sql/mysql.sql to the name you chose in xoops_version.php
5.Find all references to the tables in the news php files and change them to your new table names. Normally that looks something like xoopsDB->prefix("topics") or db->prefix("stories") etc.
6.Find all hard-coded url's using modules/news/ and change them to your new directory name... modules/example_news

There's 69 changes that need to be made for points 5 and 6 that I've found.

I also needed several versions of the news module. It's easier for the next copies because you can just search on your new name (e.g. example_) and change that.

Good luck!

Rowd

rowdie
  • 2004/10/14 9:46

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

I had another look at your site and I don't actually think you need multiple news modules. Just make a topic for each section of your site and use the display layout 'By Topic'. I think this feature wasn't in the version of news that you have. Then I'd look at using multimenu, put direct url links to each of your topics in there and use that instead of the main menu.

You may still need to play with the news templates a bit to get it to look like your old site, but it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Rowd

peterpatrol

could you just use news + sections + articles or something similiar, rather then cloning.

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits