MarcDeMesel
Module does not get detected in admin panel

I tried this is the 'Q&A' but with no luck, maybe somebody around here knows the problem.

After uploading the modules, like myguestbook and xtremguestbook, they do not get detected.

xoopsversion: 2.0.7

I did a test on another XOOPS install and there they get detected whithout a problem. I did mess around with the xoopsverion.php in the folder include, in order to get it detected but that didn't help. Other modules like ecal and xoops_teamspeak do not get detected eather.

I got one reply in the xoops.org forum but that did not help me a lot:
-------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Modules not detected in admin panel
In my limited experience so far, I have found modules only don't show up when there is a configuration problem in a file like xoops_version.php or when the folder name is wrong (different from what is specified in the module, which I think is something specified in the xoops_version.php).

Basically, something is probably wrong with the module, but what it is, sorry, can't tell you.

Check the folder name, check that all the files are there (ie: no FTP problem), check that everything referenced in the xoops_version file is correct....

Good luck,

--Julian

-----------------------------------------------

This was my reply:

Re: Modules not detected in admin panel
Thank you for your reply Julian. Though I can not make it work. Ftp seems not to be the problem. I do not have a clue what to change in the xoopsversion.php Need help!

----------------------------------------------------------

Did you have the same experience? How did you solve it?

hsalazar
Re: Module does not get detected in admin panel
  • 2004/8/30 15:51

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

MarcDeMesel:

Julian's points are very sound. The most common cause of modules not appearing in the admin side has to do with what's uploaded where.

What does "do not get detected" mean? Assuming you don't see them in the admin/modules page, make sure the correct folder was uploaded to the correct folder. Since every module author wraps the module in a personal way, some include more folders than others. And though this might sound very basic, nevertheless happens a lot: make sure the folder with the module name, the one that includes at the first level the file xoops_version.php, gets uploaded to the your_site/modules folder. You can check this with your FTP program.

If the files were uploaded to the right place, but still your XOOPS doesn't see them, first verify you have a complete xoops_version.php file in your module folder. If a file is there, XOOPS should see the module and try to install it.

If everything above is ok and you still have no modules there, try repeating the process. Delete the uploaded module and upload it again.

All this is assuming your XOOPS install is correct. With the available information, it's difficult to go further.

The other thing you should do is to turn on PHP debugging in Admin > Preferences. Turn it on and then go to the Admin > Modules page. If you see PHP warnings or errors in the lower part, post them here.

That's all I can think at the moment.

Cheers.

martyboy
  • 2004/8/30 15:56

• martyboy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/25

This is a really simple answer so I am probably way off the mark here, but I have done this myself before and it caused modules not to be recognised:

Sometimes when you download a module for example in the Brasil modules pack when you extract a module from that pack it comes in a folder named something like xooops2mod_name of module and inside this folder is a HTML folder and a DOCS folder go into HTML folder there will be a folder called MODULES inside that will be the actual module folder which you have to upload to XOOPS root dir/modules, if you upload the actual xoops2_mod folder then XOOPS wont recognise the module, I have done this a couple of times my self in error not realising the module folder was inside.

Anyway, if thats not the case then as far as I know the module should be recognised if the xoops_version.php file is there and all the otehr files are ok.

JasonMR
  • 2004/9/7 10:39

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Had the same issue, only to discover, that while most modules install with the permission correctly set, others (like the given examples) install with permission restrictions, that prevent the php script to access the module.
Try changing the permissions manually (files to 644, folders to 755).

Now all causes that I know off, that have caused such effects, have been listed. You should have your problems resolved by now.

Anni5166
Re:Module does not get detected in admin panel
  • 2004/11/1 14:23

• Anni5166

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/30

I am having the exact same problem. I have installed several different modules and all worked fine. Tonight I uploaded some more and it did not matter which ones....none of them showed up in the admin menu. I tried deleting and reuploading which worked for one or two of them, but the one of note was wf section. I uploaded it and it showed up but as I do not need to use it just yet I did not install it. It was there in the list of modules not installed. I then uploaded another mod...not sure which one but it was not there and to top it off wf sections had disappeared too. I can not work out what the prob is but I can not get them to appear at all now even wf. The fact that it was there then not there indicates something other than the ideas suggested in this forum. As I am both a newbie and not a coder I have no idea how to fix this. The modules I want to use which I have uploaded are wf section, buddyfriends and multimenu 1.4. Hope someone has some ideas.

I was going to just post the above after I did php debug, but decided to add this bit because I appear to have solved the problem. I had the fungames mod installed and have had a 404 error the last few times I have tried to play games. With debug on I went to the admin/modules and it went boonta when it got to the games mod. I then uninstalled and deleted fungames and guess what.... prob seems to be gone. Will update if it reappears, but this may be useful for someone.

Rickb
  • 2004/11/1 21:57

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

It would be most beneficial if the XOOPS team would do as Mozilla has done, create a more consistant and a unified module install and un-install wizard.

Also quality modules discriptions should be required monitored prior to posting. Many of the module's descriptions are not available or are not adequate. This will improve the overall experience of XOOPS.

Rick

Rickb
  • 2004/11/1 21:57

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

It would be most beneficial if the XOOPS team would do as Mozilla has done, create a more consistant and a unified module install and un-install wizard.

Also quality modules discriptions should be required monitored prior to posting. Many of the module's descriptions are not available or are not adequate. This will improve the overall experience of XOOPS.

Rick

m0nty
  • 2004/11/1 22:16

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

those points are all being discussed already..

with regard to this problem, i can only suggest what may work, but nothin guaranteed as everything i would have thought to do has already been said..

update to the latest stable release currently 2.0.7.3 if you haven't already done so (but do check what modules you have as if any of those modules require changes to the core you will need to re edit the changes afterwards)

but do recheck file permissions.. sometimes servers change permissions globally when they do audits..

clear your browser cache/temp files.. update the system module in admin..

delete the folders and try re uploading..

other than that i can't think of any reason except for if you have made modifications somewhere.. you could also have a corrupt XOOPS core file somewhere too..

i had the exact same problem a long while ago when using XOOPS 2.0.5 but have never had the problem re occur since in newer versions.. mine started working again, when i uploaded another completely different module and then installed it.. the others re appeared after doing that.. weird i know but thats what happened in my case.. worth a try anyway..

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits