chippyash
Re: Xoops 2.1 Module development Roadmap
  • 2004/5/4 17:43

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Despite a number of other posts elsewhere in various forums saying that this particular feature is part of the 2.1 roadmap, it isn't. So here it is to get it registered on dev team radar

1st one:
- User/member data needs to be extensible by site admin.
A number of admins would like to be able add new data and/or functionality to the user/member class. For instance one of my sites (valentinewalton.co.uk) would like to add snail mail address, joining dates, d.o.b., telnums etc so that we can actually use the site as central membership register. the carrot here is that if it becomes relatively straightforward to extend user/member class then quite a few people (myself included) are going to go flat out to produce CRM capabilities that will make XOOPS stand out head and shoulders above the competition.

I've tried to decipher what is going on in the user/member classes to see if I could extend myself but clearly (and obviously from other users's comments and experience) this is a daunting task as you really are playing deep in the guts of the core system. The amount of published info is sparse, So ...

2nd one:
- Clear unambigous developer notes/instructions on the system that would allow developers to build on the system. I recall from somewhere else that the team are moving towards 'Xoops Certified' modules, rather than core mods etc. Perhaps one of the tests for inclusion is that bods like me can read and understand proper system documentation for the module? In the same vein, a 'how to' would seem appropriate. I am not sufficiently familiar with php to know if it supports 'morphing classes for instance so that I can replace the user class with my own, but perhaps I digress.

Kind regards
Ashley

Herko
  • 2004/5/4 19:51

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

1st point: you're posting in the module developement roadmap thread, and both points refer to the core development. But that's just a formality

Both points are being addressed at the moment. Like I posted a couple of times before, the discussion now is how to implement the dynamic user profile properly (and then do it right or have an intermediary quick fix), and this will be done for the next major release. As for the developer documentation: this is one of the points the Quality Assurance Team looks for, and as you can see on the XOOPS Development Forge website, phpDoc notations for all used classes is the development standard now. Parts of the core are documented like this, but not everything. We promote the documentation, of course.

Herko

chippyash
  • 2004/5/4 20:45

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Herko

Cheers mate for the clarification. Can you shift this message to core forum?

Also, can you perhaps point me at the discussion of *how* the dynamic user profile is going to be addressed (I can't find it

I checked out dev forge. phpDoc is too acidic (as in my experience is all computer generated documentation, it assumes you know what you are doing in the first place.) It needs the human touch to make it human readable. But that is just my opinion If anyone can remember Borland, their documentation of pascal, c, paradox, prolog and anything else they did was exemplary (even given the passage of 15 or so years). Don't think we can achieve that (though I could be wrong) but as an exemplar it is something to aim at.

Kind Regards
Ashley

mariuss
  • 2004/5/4 22:37

• mariuss

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/6 5

I agree that phpDoc is way too dry and helps only people who understand the code already. What is missing in my opinion are well written user guides: how to add search to your module, how to add comments, ... Some of this stuff is covered in the Wiki already.

My biggest problem with XOOPS is the lack of a proper roadmap.

Marius

WarDick
  • 2004/5/4 22:41

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

I could not agree more. I wonder is there is any roadmap at all? Maybe just empty promises to keep us debugging and testing. The community gets more support from itself than from developers.

Anonymous
  • 2004/5/5 0:36

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:

mariuss wrote:
I agree that phpDoc is way too dry and helps only people who understand the code already. What is missing in my opinion are well written user guides: how to add search to your module, how to add comments, ... Some of this stuff is covered in the Wiki already.

My biggest problem with XOOPS is the lack of a proper roadmap.

Marius

We try to update this on the dev wikki which is public to make it available here. So have a look here.

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/phpwiki/

Anonymous
  • 2004/5/5 0:50

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:

WarDick wrote:
I could not agree more. I wonder is there is any roadmap at all? Maybe just empty promises to keep us debugging and testing. The community gets more support from itself than from developers.

Funny, the last weeks you are agitated against the Dev ( Modules and Core ) behind the alibi to speak in the interest of the community, i donĀ“t believe you, it is IMHO hypocritical.

I made a little recherche and how strange or maybe just accidental the member Timeslicer or better known now Slicer use the name WarDick on his Site :

http://www.bodylore.com/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=1

Another change, the domain is registrated with an emailadresse which belongs to you, both are coming from the same City, maybe you can enlight us about your real motivation.

So in my opinion you are not trying to help the community, but make youself interesting...

This are just my 2 cents about you ( this is my private opinion and not an XOOPS statement to say it clear )

Herko
  • 2004/5/5 10:57

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

akitson wrote:
Herko

Cheers mate for the clarification. Can you shift this message to core forum?
Not in the current version of newbb
Quote:

Also, can you perhaps point me at the discussion of *how* the dynamic user profile is going to be addressed (I can't find it
It's part of the authentication layer discussion, and some of it has been discussed thru IM. I've asked the people involved to post it on the sf.net forums, and they said they would, soon. So keep your eyes peeled .
Quote:

I checked out dev forge. phpDoc is too acidic (as in my experience is all computer generated documentation, it assumes you know what you are doing in the first place.) It needs the human touch to make it human readable. But that is just my opinion
Ashley

I agree there, and it's not supposed to be the only layer of dicumentation. But without this basic description of core procedures, classes and functions, no real developer documentation (like Mariuss describes correctly) can be written. The problem is that dev docs can only be written by devs themself, and they don't like to do that. We try to stimulate it, and it is slowly happening, but it is difficult to get this done. It definately isn't an issue of recognition of importance. We all agree on that. But we could use some people who would dedicate themself to this (much like the user docs team).

Herko

coreyt
  • 2004/6/19 4:03

• coreyt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/28

News - Comment moderation karma similar to slash and ability to filter based on ratings.

Headlines & Blocks - I would like to see the ability to move blocks around and let users select what additional blocks they would want added. IE having several different blocks that represent pre-chosen RSS feeds to be added to each side or the middle bottom areas and such.

gamesnmore
  • 2004/8/31 7:56

• gamesnmore

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/26

I don't know what Partners is used for, however the news, members, and polls are good for me (unless you make them better )

Links it would be nice for it to count the hits but at the same time to have the actual URL as the link rather than the long link like it is now.

It would be nice to make Newbb more like PHPBB2

Thats about all from me. isn't Downloads a Core module??[

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits