Mithrandir
Code crashing IE

I am working on a modified news module and have run into a rather annoying problem: Whenever anyone submits an article with Internet Explorer it throws an error and will have to be closed - the article is submitted correctly, but IE must close.

Does anybody have any idea at all as to what can cause IE (IE 6) to throw such an error? It happens both for me with SP1 and for my client with SP2 and all available updates and patches.

Jan304
Re: Code crashing IE
  • 2004/8/26 13:00

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Wow, maybe you accidently stumbled on a problem in IE. Do you use any script to check the form? This should really be invested, since this shouldn't happen.

What happens if you open in a real browser (like firefox or opera)?

Let's see to what this heads out...

Mithrandir

I use standard XoopsForm classes - and no problems in Mozilla whatsoever.

CeBepuH
  • 2004/8/26 13:44

• CeBepuH

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/6/10

Is there an iframe on the page? I have an iframe in one of the blocks which refreshes every 20 seconds. If the iframe refreshes when I hit Publsih - IE6 crashes.

BTW, there is another thing with IE6 & news 1.2. When I press Publish and immediately scroll up or down, the dropdown boxes with the hours stay visible on screen. I can browse afterwards but those hours stay on screen.

Mithrandir

Nope, no iframe - and it is reproducable every single time. It is a heavily modified News module, so not quite like 1.2 anymore, and it has come lately.

I'm just curious as to what on earth I can do with PHP and HTML that would kill a browser... I had the same with newBB where it would crash IE if I browsed a thread. That was caused by me popping the center-center blocks below center-left and center-right. As soon as I reverted that, the forums were fine...

IE si weirdo

hsalazar
  • 2004/8/26 15:46

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

Mith:

I saw this problem a lot in the early days of developing Soapbox. Catzwolf used to say that it happened when a form had two textareas. I never figured out really what was the matter, but I played moving lines up and down and suddenly the crashes stopped. What I keep seeing is the appearance of form selector ghosts, and I've tracked this down to memory problems when having extremely long sessions with a lot of program opening and closing. So I'd try switching the order of initial declarations.

Cheers.

phppp
  • 2004/8/26 16:01

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

seems many guys suffering from this problem since long time ago.

I guess this is caused by the javascripts because it comes much more frequently if you use extended javascripts.

Another weired problem, after submitting a news item, two drop-down selection box will stay with IE browser no matter what new page you open. if you check the sourcecode, no script exits related selection box. if you click the selection box, there will be a black vertical bar, nothing else.

The IE crash problem comes with any module that uses xoopsform/xoopscodes. The second problem only happens with news module so far.

Mithrandir

Quote:

hsalazar wrote:
Mith:

I saw this problem a lot in the early days of developing Soapbox. Catzwolf used to say that it happened when a form had two textareas. I never figured out really what was the matter, but I played moving lines up and down and suddenly the crashes stopped. What I keep seeing is the appearance of form selector ghosts, and I've tracked this down to memory problems when having extremely long sessions with a lot of program opening and closing. So I'd try switching the order of initial declarations.

Cheers.

Hmmm... I *have* added another textarea for some banner/sponsor code. Perhaps this 3rd DHTML textarea messes up things? I'll try to make it a simple textarea and see if it changes anything.

hervet
  • 2004/8/26 16:22

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hello,

I can do it when I want, just add (at least) two XoopsFormDhtmlTextArea and the program crashes. I have reported it a long time ago, can't remember where but I have made it.

Bye,
Hervé

Dave_L
  • 2004/8/26 16:49

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits