cmsguy
Simple Way To Add Content, Adding To Main Menu?
  • 2004/3/7 5:33

• cmsguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/3 2

Being new to XOOPS I have searched the forums and read the usage manual and I am still confused. How do I:

1. Add/Delete links to the main menu?

2. Add contents to the center of any specific page and properly stay within XOOPS and be included in search engine results?

3. Add content in general?

Any easy answers to these issue?

Thanks.

Dreakon
Re: Simple Way To Add Content, Adding To Main Menu?
  • 2004/3/7 13:27

• Dreakon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/4 1

1.) I don't know, I'm new too...

2.) I don't know, I'm new too...

3.) I just added the sections module and made articles. Seems to me the only way to do this but I wish someone would answer you because I would like to know too.

krayc
  • 2004/3/7 13:50

• krayc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Quote:

1. Add/Delete links to the main menu?

This much I know... that main menu links are 'active' modules, or visible modules.

Apparently there are some hacks or other modules that help you add links to the main menu, but i have'nt found any or any I could get to work.

Quote:

2. Add contents to the center of any specific page and properly stay within XOOPS and be included in search engine results?

This is done with blocks. Either use the ones provided by other modules or the system module, or create your own.
See admin/blocks on how to postion them and make them appear on different or all pages, also remember your group permissions can effect who sees what!

Quote:

3. Add content in general?

TinyContent, WFSections, XFSection, News, Stories, Soapbox .etc.... there are all content management modules. Well I guess all modules are in one way or another, but these are what I think of as 'Article' modules.

krayc

JackJ
  • 2004/3/7 14:07

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

Links in the main menu are related to installed modules. To remove a link go to system admin/modules and change the "1" to "0" in the order field.

To add links to the main menu is a bit more complex see this thread here

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=14480&forum=20

2 In system admin/blocks you can add your own custom blocks using HTML or text--and set up a custom block say using the center block-center option. Specifying that the block appears on the "top page" means the block will only be visible on the "start page". The "top page" is whatever module you have set up to launch at default i.e. "News". If you have no default module set up in general preferences, then the block will appear on the first page launched--or any other modules you choose to have the block appear in.

You use the "weight" option to determine which block appears first in the list, ie. 1,2,3 etc

3. For including content XOOPS comes with a basic "sections module", but this is depreciated, many other content modules have been designed for Xoops:

Wfsections, Soapbox, Tinycontent, Cjaycontent, Articles, Freecontent etc. Most of them have global search included

Try doing a search using the above names.

Static pages can also be included in Xoops, but these will not be included in the XOOPS global search

See the Wiki Home link to the right, there is an article about static pages and content.

I have a bug fix version of wfsections for download at my site. Soapbox is also very good popular recent addition, but the blocks that come with the module are causing problems which is being addressed

Edit: someone beat me too it, waste of time, see the above..

cmsguy
  • 2004/3/7 17:25

• cmsguy

• Just popping in

Which content program do you recommend?

You seem to be happy with Wfsections but it has some issues. How can I download your bug fixed version?

So it sounds to me that XOOPS works in the following manner:

1. Adding major content with associated links.

THIS IS ACCOMPLISHED BY ADDING A MODULE. IS THIS TRUE?

2. Add a section within a module.

THIS IS ACCOMPLISHED BY ADDING BLOCKS TO A SPECIFIC MODULE.
IS THIS TRUE?

3. Integrating third party software into XOOPS.

THIS CAN ONLY BE PROPERLY ACCOMPLISHED BY CREATING A XOOP MODULE TO INTEGRATE ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. IS THIS TRUE?

4. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CREATE A MODULE TO INTEGRATE OTHER FEATURES OR SOFTWARE? ARE THERE PROGRAMS TO HELP WITH THIS?

Thanks to everyone for your help.

JackJ
  • 2004/3/7 20:44

• JackJ

Quote:
You seem to be happy with Wfsections but it has some issues. How can I download your bug fixed version?

These bugs were issues that affected mostly minor backend operations. Wfsections is probably the most comprehensive article content manager in open source today. (Catswolf is not paying me for this} Many websites are using wfsections with no problems.

Quote:
Adding major content with associated links.

THIS IS ACCOMPLISHED BY ADDING A MODULE. IS THIS TRUE?

Yes, this is the way most open source cms's work, and it gives you the ability to choose a module which suit your needs/preferences. In XOOPS you can also create your own custom links.

Quote:
Add a section within a module.

THIS IS ACCOMPLISHED BY ADDING BLOCKS TO A SPECIFIC MODULE.
IS THIS TRUE?

Most modules come with their own blocks ready made. These blocks are activated in system admin/blocks. New articles in wfsections for example will have automatic links appear in a block like "Recent Articles". These links are normally the title of the article.

Wfsections for example also allows you to set up article "categories" which could be called sections. The News module can also have "sections" added--they are called "Topics" in this instance.

The module called "articles" and "soapbox" have the ability to set up sections. In "Soapbox these sections are called "Columns"

If you do a search for these modules, and try them out, you should get a better feel for Xoops.

A wfsections bugfix is available for download at my site. Catswolf is the author, I only applied bugfixes from around here and there.

cmsguy
  • 2004/3/8 0:46

• cmsguy

• Just popping in

Thanks so much for the information. I will check out these content tools.

Say, is it valid to create an empty module and insert custom blocks to create XOOPS content?

In other words use the empty module to add the link to the main menu and as a container for the newly created blocks.

I am asking this mostly because instead of articles I must insert HTML and PHP content.

I need to integrate third party software, which consists of HTML and PHP web pages.

cmsguy
  • 2004/3/8 3:22

• cmsguy

• Just popping in

I am having trouble downloading wfSections from your site. I tried downloading and unzipping the files. The directory structure is:

wfsectionbugfix->wfsection

I uploaded the directory wfsectionbugfix and the module was not recognized. Am I doing this right?

Where can I get the vanilla wfsection version anyway?

Can I put in HTML and PHP content by using the wfsection module?

JackJ
  • 2004/3/8 3:59

• JackJ

So you got it ok?

No, you upload the "wfsection" folder, the wfsectionbugfix folder is just the container--a convention in open source.

The author's site is closed at the moment

I also have a little one page "module" for download

mypage.zip

Handy for single HTML or php pages, it has some instructions for using this for other one page modules

cmsguy
  • 2004/3/9 2:32

• cmsguy

• Just popping in

Thanks to your help I am beginning to understand. Scary!

It occurs to me that by default due to the way the main menu is written it will display all installed modules as menu items. True?

For customization sake this does not seem practical.

Perhaps creating custom menu blocks and using hard coded menu items and links would be a better way to go. What do you think?

With custom menu blocks and the sample module you gave me it seems to me I could configure just about anything.

To reiterate, you can put PHP and HTML code in the sample module for content. Right?

PHP is handy for accessing the database.

Again in your debt.

Login

Who's Online

454 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 454

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits