ling
Upgrade and Data Transfer including Template and Hacks into 2.4.4
  • 2010/7/5 3:59

• ling

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/6/2 8

Hi finally I have installed the 2.4.4 version on another folder / directory of my server so in fact I am having the old setup as a mirror still on the server.

Now my question I did already import the modules and also the modified template files of every module into the new version.

However there are a few problems or let me say issues surrounding

a) Xoops Configurations

b) Module Configurations

c) Block Configurations

d) Customized Blocks

e) system .html files like blocks with hacks on them.

f) Group permissions

g) Module Main Table ( Sequence and Activity )

h) Template files

Could you please tell me the easiest way how to import these settings into the new version without having to go through all modules and re-configure them to the 2.0.16 setup.

I found several similar tables on the database however I found also some tables which do not exist on the old 2.0.16 Xoops database.

I also did import my template set which seems to be fine.

But one of the obstacles to me are in particular these tables and if they can be just exchanged.

xoops_image xoops_imagebody
xoops_imagecategory
xoops_imgset
xoops_imgsetimg
xoops_imgset_tplset_link

xoops_newblocks

xoops_tplfile
xoops_tplsource
xoops_tplset

xoops_modules

xoops_config
xoops_configcategory
xoops_configoption

Thanks for your always appreciated input and despite my doubts in the beginning I am glad I am in the upgrade process since the new version is much easier to navigate on the administration side and also there are some newer modules which simply do not work on the old version.

PLUS THE VERY NICE INCLUSION OF PROTECTOR in the core version, however I do have some problems with restoring data via the backup module but I will get back to this later.

Mamba
Re: Upgrade and Data Transfer including Template and Hacks into 2.4.4
  • 2010/7/5 5:12

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Could you please tell me the easiest way how to import these settings into the new version without having to go through all modules and re-configure them to the 2.0.16 setup.

My suggestion would be to:

1) copy the content of your old Website to another directory, and copy your database to a new database.

2) update your mainfile.php to reflect these changes, and make sure that your "new" site in working.

3) deactivate all modules

4) Upgrade to 2.4.4 (or wait for 2.4.5) using the "full upgrade" path, i.e. copying all the files from /htdocs to the directory with your "new" website (except the mainfiles.php - i.e. you need to keep the old mainfile.php). Then copy the /upgrade directory, and run the upgrade (follow the instructions)

5) activate the modules one by one and test each of them and their behavior, to see if they still work on 2.4.4. If not, you might need to update them as well, or replace them with other modules that work on 2.4.4

If the module works, the you move to activating the next one.

From my experience this is the easiest way to upgrade old XOOPS installations.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

madDan
  • 2010/7/5 8:57

• madDan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2010/1/6 1

If you use comments

Make sure you activate the modules in the same order they were activated on your original site, otherwise comments to those modules will not reffer to the correct modules.

This may not seem to be that big an issue on the face of it, but if your original site had any modules removed etc the numbering as looked at in admin will not simply be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 etc it could be 1,2,5,6,8,9,11,12,13 or something like that

Take a hard copy of your modules table and xoopscomments tables as it is on your original site and have a look at the mid and name columns in modules

When you upgrade and have the original modules (or maybe latest versions) working if you have some unlinked data like comments this will help you set the com_modid id's in the xoopscomments table

Then you can use the sql update command to alter the com_modid values to reflect the new module mid value.

No doubt now someone will point to a module that does this for us

ghia
  • 2010/7/6 5:37

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

If you use Mamba's system of duplicating the site (files and database) on a subdirectory or subdomain, then you do not have this problem with the comments.
(When replacing module id's beware the correct order of doing it. Problems arise if you rename to an id, that has yet to be renumbered. )

madDan
  • 2010/7/6 23:49

• madDan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2010/1/6 1

I'll try exactly that when moving upto 2.4.5 and see what happens.

The last time I did what I thought was the same when building 2.4.4 from new - it simply took up the gaps and numbered the modules in a sequential linear order, which was not how they were numbered in the first place (as previous to that build I had done a lot of trial and error of various modules), hence my cautionary advice on comments, which did not reflect the modules that they were linked to.

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits