sailjapan
Japanese Translations (XOOPS 2.5)

2-8-6 san, and anyone else who feels like helping. I've started this thread to help coordinate our work.
As Mamba said in this post, I've made a start on the htdocs/language/japanese/ files. My translations are probably a bit 'rough', so if anyone sees problems, please feel free to correct the files or send me corrections crip[at]moorey.net

I have also just finished translating htdocs/modules/pm/language/japanese and am now working on htdocs/modules/profile/language/japanese

If someone wants to try htdocs/modules/system/language/japanese please go ahead (and write here!).

Yoroshiku.

edit: Please can we have Japanese fonts enabled here at xoops.org? When I type Japanese characters, it looks like this: ?????????

ghia
Re: Japanese Translations (XOOPS 2.5)
  • 2010/2/8 23:13

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Japanese on XOOPS, will require a database conversion from latin to utf. Not an easy job.

Mamba
  • 2010/2/8 23:27

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

But we'll need to do it...

Actually, the database is UTF-8, but some of the tables, are still latin1_general_ci.

As a matter of fact, I started to investigate it couple of weeks ago...

Converting via Notebook+ is out of question, as some of the tables are just too big for this. Unfortunately BigDump also won't work.

So if we have some experts on how to convert huge tables to UTF-8, please provide us with the process.

trabis
  • 2010/2/9 0:01

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

I have same problem, my database is around 500mb and it is no easy task to do backups and restore them if something goes wrong. It is not urgent but Is something I plan to do in the future, move to UTF-8.

KeiichiSHIGA

The issue of language of xoops.org entrusts a person in charge of.

To saijapan in particular:
There is the process that XOOPS 2.0 spread very much in Japan.
The used character code is EUC(EUC-JP) on this occasion.
Therefore there is process generating by another folder name "ja_utf8" as shift means to the UTF-8:

.../language/japanese Japanese EUC-JP
.../language/ja_utf8 Japanese UTF-8

As for the shown Japanese XOOPS modules, there are many things made with this custom now.

XOOPS managed in Japan has a big problem called the conversion to the UTF-8 from EUC now.
However, present XOOPS may be supported by Japan if this is easily enabled.

sailjapan

hmm, this is a good point.

Because we are now well past the XOOPS 2.0.x generation of xoops, do you think EUC should still be supported for 2.5.x ? Could you ask the Japanese XOOPS community for comments?

It's not difficult to make EUC and UTF versions of the language files, and we can keep both the file structures (/language/japanese & /language/ja_utf8 ) if necessary... It just seems to me that EUC is an old system that should be replaced... but I don't really know much about the merits/demerits of the two font systems.

Any opinions from the Japanese XOOPS community would be very much appreciated!

deka87
  • 2010/2/9 6:39

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

Quote:
So if we have some experts on how to convert huge tables to UTF-8, please provide us with the process.

i used this script to convert my whole database to utf-8 from cp-1251. all you need is to upload it to the website root and run. it was created for russian websites in particular, but i think if you know php you can easily modify it to convert a database from latin to utf-8.

for more info you can address to this thread.

KeiichiSHIGA

As for the XOOPS (Compatible CMS) modules of the Japanese product,
development is continued in this custom now.
(this custom: japanese = EUC / ja_utf8 = UTF-8 )

It will disturb this custom to generate japanese folder in UTF-8.
This is that trouble to revise a language file by manual labor for much XOOPS modules occurs.

KeiichiSHIGA

deka87, Thank you for good support.
Of course even other languages will have the same problem.

Quote:

i used this script to convert my whole database to utf-8 from cp-1251. all you need is to upload it to the website root and run. it was created for russian websites in particular, but i think if you know php you can easily modify it to convert a database from latin to utf-8.

for more info you can address to this thread.

If this is upgrading work of XOOPS or the module of the simple substance, the beginner who is not good at PHP works.

XOOPS 2.0 were considerably adopted in Japan.
(Because the person who developed XOOPS is a Japanese)
Please understand that there is not little one that is not good at operation of PHP and MySQL in that.

There is a big problem one more in this respect.
MySQL 4.1-5.0 had a problem for Japanese handling.
Therefore it is that there is a lot still a japanese server managed in MySQL 4.0.

sailjapan

Ok, so we should put utf translations in a /ja_utf8 directory.

Has anyone at xoops.jp translated (EUC or UTF) XOOPS 2.3.x or 2.4.x or 2.5 language files yet? I don't want to duplicate work.

Login

Who's Online

98 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 98

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits