brentrunning
file manager

My problem is as a hobby I run a small chat site that barely pays dfor itself... I like to offer my users a place to store their webpages and avatar pictures. I need software like the old invision power file manager or super sites pro.

During a google search of invision file manager I found a link that said XOOPS had incorporated it into it. I downloaded and installed XOOPS but upon testing a user acct I can't really find any file area for the user... I looked through the module section but still can't find anything.. What am I missing?

ghia
Re: file manager
  • 2009/12/20 23:39

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

brentrunning, Welcome to the XOOPS Forum!

Not sure what you are exactly looking for, The Invisible Power Board or some modules that allow users to add content.

The IPB module is rather old, but you can get it from here.
For user content:
Userpage, ClientSpace.
Some blogmodules as eg LifeType.
XcGal is a photo album, that allows user albums.

brentrunning

Why do you bring up invisible power board? I mentioned nothing about a board I very clearly said file manager not only in the topic subject but in mention of of the script that is supposedly ported to xoops... Invision Power File Manager. to allow me to give my users storage space on my server that they can use to upload files to such as web pages and pictures they use as avatars...

I looked in the module link in section that says file manager but every single file I click the download button for gives me a message saying the file is not available.....

sarahmx
  • 2009/12/21 9:34

• sarahmx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/10/28

what modules are you trying to download?

ghia
  • 2009/12/21 9:36

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Sorry, my mistake. It was a too wild guess of what you wanted.

If you refer to the file managment section, these modules are verygeneral in use and are to be used by the administrator only. Most contains also built in checks for that. Allowing users to play with the file system is a sure way to getting hacked.

Most of these modules are very old and no longer maintained, because the hosters panels made progress and have file managment always included.

Maybe the DMS module is something for you.

The Invision Power File Manager module is here.

brentrunning

Perhaps XOOPS is not the program that I need.. I basiclly want to set myself up as a host for my users give each of them an alotted amt of space to store html files and image files and hopefully a way for them to work on their own files..

I DO NOT want them to have access to the root file system.. I was finally able to get 2 of the file managers downloaded and installed but they are it seems only designed for the admins use so don't help me... I know the invision power file manager on its own can do what I need but it won't work properly with MySQL 5 I thought since someone had ported it into XOOPS it would still have all it's functionality but I guess not...

Burning
  • 2009/12/21 15:46

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

Have you tried FCabixShare by Bluemoon ?

You can play with Groups permission and allow users
• to upload all files they want (html, images, doc, pdf, ...)
• to create their sub-folders
• to update their files
• etc...

Works fine with XOOPS 2.3.x (not tested yet with last XOOPS version), there just some issue with css : sometimes text color is white on white background (it depends on your theme)

brentrunning

thank you burning it does seem to have some issues functioning... Also I need to give each user their own seperate space not have 1 group space for everyone...

Sort of like I'm a mini geocities or something

Burning
  • 2009/12/21 16:35

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

Quote:
Also I need to give each user their own seperate space

... only modules that I know wich have such feature is :

• userpage module : each user has his own page, even you are administrator you can't edit it. It is a very simple module but with a wysiwyg editor users can post what they want
• Pico : you can limit access by uid... but difficult to use, userpage would be more simple for this purpose
• albums modules, like eXtGallery : each user has his own album page. It could do the job but with some hacks I assume
• ... may be also blog modules

All XOOPS modules think "Groups", not "Users"

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits