preachur
Userpage.... or a page host module?
  • 2009/11/4 22:32

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Hello everyone!

I have had this nagging idea in my head ever since geocities shut down.... See, I am running a non-profit site for a horse rescue on xoops, (As well as about 10 other non-profit XOOPS sites.) When geocities shut down recently many horse rescues and other nonprofits lost their webpages.

What I would love to see: A module that is a basic control panel for a sub-site of a domain. A user could register on the parent XOOPS site, and the module would create a sub-folder and a holding page when they filled out a setup form. i.e.-http://mydomain.com/NONPROFITSITE and an index.html holding page.

Then they would have a mini control panel / file manager with a .html page text editor and an image upload tool. They could build their whole static site in the sub-folder AND it would give them a search friendly url.

The main xoops-powered site would have a directory of the hosted member sites that is searchable.

I remember the old file manager module from WAY back. There is the userpage module, etc.... I just don't have the skills personally to build a module like this.

Is it a possibility? This would help so many people. I mean, it's just an idea, but I had to share it.

-Mark

ghia
Re: Userpage.... or a page host module?
  • 2009/11/5 0:52

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Is UserPage not enough for the page creation?
The friendly URL could be provided by some URL rewriting.

preachur
  • 2009/11/5 1:12

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Userpage limits the page size, users can only create one page, but if those things could be overcome, then I guess so.

A module called USERFOLDER would be better. Each user gets a folder in the site base directory and they could upload pages, edit pages and add files through their own account login. Would be just like userpage with modifications so they could build their own site through the main site, I guess.

ghia
  • 2009/11/5 8:14

• ghia

I don't know the possibilities, but there are also other modules that allow users to add content like ClientSpace, Yogurt and some blog modules based on Wordpress. Check them out.

Problem with these user additions is that you have to trust your users and that you stay responsible against your hoster for the total content of the site. So for more extented content additions and its security, you go quick to server virtualisation and seperate domains.

(Maybe subdomains and the multiXOOPS, could do also some tricks, but will require manual emplacement.)

sailjapan

Lifetype offered this type of function, and I've seen a number of Chinese sites that have managed to tie it in as a XOOPS module. I've tried but not been successful to date. You can try and get someone over at xoopsChina to explain it to you, they have a forum on the subject here.

Keep us posted if you make any progress!

ghia
  • 2009/11/7 14:20

• ghia

See also this LifeType thread.

Login

Who's Online

153 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 153

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits