caponey
Trying to wrap my head around all this...
  • 2009/9/11 18:48

• caponey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/3/4 2

is extremely frustrating.

I am trying to make a page that will have links to other pages related to that page. For example...a specific video game page, say Call of Duty 4...and on that page will be a Review tab(or link, which ever works best), a News tab, a Videos tab, and a Forum tab, and whatever else we can think of later.

My problem is, I just cannot figure out how to do this, or the best way. Do I make a content block, then put links to other content blocks?

Or would it be more efficient to have a database (we plan to have a lot of games)...but then I don't know how to make a database in Xoops.

So far I have tried to make content pages (using Content module), but I don't feel like that is very efficient and feels kind of sloppy and could become disorganized very fast, but maybe I am wrong?

any suggestions?
thanks
C

ghia
Re: Trying to wrap my head around all this...
  • 2009/9/11 19:53

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Did you try the MyTabs module from Trabis?

playsome
  • 2009/9/11 20:23

• playsome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/4/15

Hey caponey, I think i know what your trying to do, are you trying to get something like PSU.com or IGN where they could have an article about a game then in blocks or else where on the page they would have related content like reviews, game page, etc?

I am also making a gaming site (for PS3) using XOOPS and I had wanted to do this also, but I could not figure it out and it was probably way beyond what i can do with PHP.

The only way I can think of how they do it is using somesort of hook, like they would have there game database and an ID for each game, they could the create other content like news, reviews and use that same ID then on the main game page they could use that id/hook to call and generate other content related to that game.

Not too sure how you would do it in xoops, would need to make a custom module for games (game database) then use php code to call otehr content for that game using the tabs or links as you say, like this

Im interested to know if the devs can think of a way to do this with XOOPS its something i would like to implement on my site also.

caponey
  • 2009/9/11 20:43

• caponey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/3/4 2

playsome, exactly
only not just an article that has tabs to related materials, but an actual dedicated page for each game, with tabs to all related materials, pretty much just like the psu link you gave me.

IGN is a good example, and so is Gamespot as well. I really like how gamespot implements user profiles, another thing I would like to learn to do in Xoops.

i know some PHP, but I really have no idea how to use it in XOOPS beyond a custom PHP block that says echo "hello world" lol.

i think if we could figure out how to do something like this, it could take our sites to the next level.

sailjapan

If you're saying what I think you're saying, you need someway of associating content from various modules and bringing blocks which display that related content from those other modules together on one page.

That would indeed be wicked. I would imagine that metadata or key words would be the way to relate content, the mechanics of searching for and displaying related data is the tricky bit.

Anyone out there with superlative logic and coding abilities who could produce this functionality would become a XOOPS mega hero.

Login

Who's Online

247 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 247

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits