zite83
Cried when tested on IE6
  • 2009/7/12 6:29

• zite83

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/5

So I dived into the wonderful world of themes css and styling ect.. Much more fun than learning PHP :p I am about done with my first theme. I just have a few questions.

My main question is how do I go about submitting my theme to xoops.org so everyone can have at it.

Next questions is.. So I was testing my CSS cross multiple browsers. Everything looked great till I dropped down to test the site on IE6.0 and under.. I was shocked.. It was like someone had just taken my CSS file and randomly mixed up my styling. I could hardly recognize my own theme. I know IE6 was bad but not that bad.. So the question is what should I do since for some reason there is still a strong percentage using IE6 (My job just upgraded to IE7 end of June 2009...) I have no problem myself just adding !--[if lt IE 7.] tag in my theme.html and putting some big ugly div stating you are not welcome here please upgrade or leave.. But since I am making it public I would like some in site

Thanks much!

ghia
Re: Cried when tested on IE6
  • 2009/7/12 7:55

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

When it comes to compliance with standards, it is a sad story with MS browsers.
Major problems are floating div's and transparancy (especially with their own invention of .png files).
Have a look on the net and other themes for seeing how they resolved it.

For announcing your theme, you can submit an article for the News (Topic: Themes (of course))

zite83
  • 2009/7/12 19:04

• zite83

• Just popping in

Thanks didn't think submitting was that easy :p After original post I took a look at common issues with IE 6 and noticed why there was such a difference. My theme pretty much consisted of everything that IE 6 does wrong... Sigh..

Transparent PNGS
Padding concept completely different
Double Margin bug
Div Heights less than 20px

But found a few changes that should help.

DonCurioso

zite83,

i think you must to see over future, not over past. IE6 are the past. They´re over IE8, please consider it. Today, more than 90% of computers connected to internet with OS Windows uses at least XP, if they update, maybe they will have IE7 or IE8.
More than 30% have Firefox, Opera, Safari & Chrome... are you really interested to give support IE6 yet ? Are you relly interested to put your time to have a site IE6 compatible yet?

Decission it´s yours ! You have my oppinion.

Regards
HispaXoops | Xoops España

That's the way i like it! | Nada mejor que una Alhambra bien helada con aceitunas...

zite83
  • 2009/7/18 3:10

• zite83

• Just popping in

I never realized how much time its been since I last did Style Sheets and HTML which was back in 2003-2004. So I still have the mind set to code around IE6 but now I have dropped that. My theme now looks perfect on all browsers. IE6 has a few minor quirks but nothing as bad as it was before. Just cleaning up the style sheets and my code and compressing the images to a smaller size. Then I should have my first theme uploaded in a few days.

Then there were just some odd issues I could not figure out, untill I looked back at my CSS file which contained

#top {

width:100%;

backgroundurl(images/top_bg.jpg);

height:256px1111111111wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaqq11;    
    }

Found out what was causing that
Resized Image

sailjapan

not only bugs but whole animals, no less!
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

ghia
  • 2009/8/5 8:29

• ghia

Quote:

Runeher
  • 2009/8/5 10:31

• Runeher

• Module Developer

• Since: 2008/1/24

Quote:

I have 5 of those code killers... :)

ghia
  • 2009/8/5 20:21

• ghia

To suppress cryings from IE8, you can add this to your theme.html:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

Mazar
  • 2009/8/6 18:02

• Mazar

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/1/4 0

IE6 doesnt understand css properly. today i encountered to a similar problem added a javascript marquee to one of my template file. and looked at it on firefox everything was looking great . when tried it on IE i could only see left column of the theme nothing else. after three hours of battling then i had to put my divs in table which solved the problem

Login

Who's Online

220 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 220

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits