robin_hood
Themes look different with IE ..
  • 2008/12/12 19:01

• robin_hood

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/12/6

Hello, i am wondering why themes loose their nice look with Internet Explorer?!

For example, I use a Morphogenesis theme, and the horizontal menu Text is centred in FireFox but in IE the text is not aligned ! Looks ugly :(

The right block box also is not centred but aligned to the left! (in Firefox is centred! )

In FireFox everything looks nice.. Why? and Please how to fix this?

Did I do something wrong in CSS ? can I make TWO css properties? one for IE and one for IE?

Please guide me..

kris_fr
Re: Themes look different with IE ..
  • 2008/12/12 19:06

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

hi,

link to web site ?

@++

robin_hood
  • 2008/12/12 19:31

• robin_hood

• Just popping in

Bonsoir Kris, the site is still on my local server. You can check this theme in IE and Firefox.
http://xoops4noobs.ovh.org/index.php?xoops_theme_select=volblack

1-Left block is not centred (qui en ligne, Waiting content ...) in IE..
2- Sometimes the images don't appear in IE, and they are replaced by a Red or Blue Dot.
Moreover, i tried to add the dynamic horizontal menu but the text is not centred in IE. In Firefox looks great.

robin_hood
  • 2008/12/13 18:54

• robin_hood

• Just popping in

It seems that everybody are enjoying their weekend lol.

Can you guys just tell us how to make the site graphics and themes look proper in IE as well ?

I have a black background and in IE the icons for example are surrounded by a white space !! which makes them look ugly. But in FF they look nice.

==================================
I have checked some css and found out that some lines include properties for both IE and non IE browsers.

z-indexauto !important /*Non-IE6*/;
z-index1000 /*IE6*/;
}
#xo-globalnav ul li a {
float:    none !important /*Non-IE6*/;
float:  left /*IE-6*/;

I use TopStyle Pro to edit stylesheets. I am a beginner, if there is a tip to make the site look proper in IE and FF please tell me.

ghia
  • 2008/12/13 19:24

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Altough FF3 is not perfect, IE has many more problems with properly displaying standard CSS. There are on the internet a lot of articles that discuss these browser differences and incompatibilities and the remedies for it.

robin_hood
  • 2008/12/13 19:39

• robin_hood

• Just popping in

Ghia can you please post a helpful guide to overcome this issue in relation with xoops. I am new to XOOPS and websites creation in general, and this problem makes me a bit frustrated.

fakeuoutb
  • 2008/12/13 22:48

• fakeuoutb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/12/13

I just installed XOOPS for the first time... I am a little upset at how much work I have to do just to get the default themes to pass validation.

It is almost as if someone with absolutely zero knowledge of coding standards wrote these themes... As far as I can tell the whole morphogenesis series is complete rubbish.

As far as this reply

Quote:
Altough FF3 is not perfect, IE has many more problems with properly displaying standard CSS. There are on the internet a lot of articles that discuss these browser differences and incompatibilities and the remedies for it.

That is typical rubbish... Different engines interpret code differently it has nothing to do with "standards". What it really boils down to is the designers either not caring enough to ensure cross-browser compatibility or not knowing how.

Yes, there are a set of standards associated with XHTML and it seems like very few of the themes being released here offer cross browser compatibility. Sure they are aesthetically appealing in firefox... but what about IE? What about opera?

I can understand third party themes - but out of the box.... cmon.

My client wants to use XOOPS - so I am at a loss there - but does anyone know of a designer that understands cross browser compatibility and web standards? I can design the template - but I would like to examine a properly formatted XOOPS theme prior to coding.

Thanks, and sorry if it comes off harsh - I'm just a redneck.

-Aaron

ghia
  • 2008/12/14 1:51

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
That is typical rubbish... Different engines interpret code differently it has nothing to do with "standards". What it really boils down to is the designers either not caring enough to ensure cross-browser compatibility or not knowing how.
The only rubbish are the browsers that are not capable to do what the standard prescribes. And you are right, cross-browser compatibilities is not what I especially care for. If the standard is met, browsers and people has to follow. Period.
Quote:
Yes, there are a set of standards associated with XHTML and it seems like very few of the themes being released here offer cross browser compatibility. Sure they are aesthetically appealing in firefox... but what about IE? What about opera?
If the browsers follow the standards, then the sites will look in every browser the same.
If it looks only good in FF, then you are at least assured that people from all platforms can have the best viewing experience for your site. For the less fortunate users, you can always put a line in the footer: Viewed at its best with FireFox!

If you are not happy with one of the many free themes, there are a lot of professional theme builders that will accomodate you with a theme that can comply with all your requirements.

@robin_hood: Google is your friend.

fakeuoutb
  • 2008/12/22 13:16

• fakeuoutb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/12/13

Aright well I may not have mentioned this - but I don't need to buy a theme or use someone else's.

I just wanted to see a good example of a XOOPS theme, before I started on my own.

I found a couple elsewhere though.

Also - your views on cross-browser compatibility is unrealistic. Are you saying that XOOPS only supports Firefox?

-Aaron

CatCath
  • 2008/12/22 13:55

• CatCath

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/24

There was infact a problem with block size and with morphogenesis family themes..
Underneath is partial solution from Ianez, which you add as it is in the end of xoops.css solve the problem of the
blocks being breaked up.. with a small filter wich preserve the hack for ie 5 on mac, and keeps block width.
It works with mine themes
This will hopefully addressed in next version of Xoops.

/* based on FabClearing by Fcaldera www.html.it*/
#centercolumn .blockContent:after, #xo-page .xo-blockcontent:after {
content: ".";
display: block;
height: 0px;
clear: both;
visibility: hidden;
}

/*\*//*/
#centercolumn .blockContent, #xo-page .xo-blockcontent {
display: inline-block;
}
/**/

#centercolumn .blockContent, #xo-page .xo-blockcontent {
clear: both; /* for Gecko */
height: 1%; /* for IE */
}

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits