Osiyo
How do I change the Favicon from XOOPS to my own?
  • 2008/10/23 2:15

• Osiyo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/10/17

Looking for image or instructions

sailjapan
Re: How do I change the Favicon from XOOPS to my own?

first you have to find where the favicon is stored. Traditional themes store the favicon at root. Morphogenesis themes and some more modern themes often store it in a folder called "icons". be aware that sometimes, even though there's a favicon.ico in this folder, the site uses an image instead.

once you've found the proper location of the file (using your ftp client is easiest) you need to replace it with your own one.
You can make a .gif .png or .jpg into a favicon here if necessary.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/23 7:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

Unless you're using a Morphogenesis theme (or one whose structure resembles it), the file you want to replace is favicon.ico and it's in the xoops_root folder.

You need to replace it with a 16x16 pixel file of your own. I find that a .gif format image renamed to favicon.ico works well.

As sj says, if you're using a Morphogenesis type theme then you'll also need to replace the file(s) in the theme folder too as XOOPS installations will use this in preference to the one in the xoops_root folder. This is a complete PITA in my view.

sailjapan

Quote:
This is a complete PITA in my view.

Seconded.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

ghia
  • 2008/10/23 15:14

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

It's not that difficult!
1) Place one in the root of your site.
2) Check the html source for your site with all the themes you use and look out for the line:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico">

If this points to something else as above, replace it with your icon.

DarinAllan

You can create the actual favicon.ico here

Favicon Generator

there is another good online tool but I can't remember the link.

Edit: sheesh I really need to read lol, sail already posted this link doh!

sailjapan

@ghia:
Quote:
2) Check the html source for your site with all the themes you use and look out for the line:

Sounds like you're telling me something good here, but when I look at the source of this page, for example, I see:
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/ico" href="https://xoops.org/themes/zetagenesis/icons/favicon.ico" />

How do I know which file this instruction lies in, and which I should therefore open to edit?

intrigued in Japan

ghia
  • 2008/10/23 18:31

• ghia

I assume theme.html may give a hint. For ZetaGenesis, it may be in xometas.html or something.
But that is not important. The link shows you which file has to be replaced by your own favicon.ico, in this case /themes/zetagenesis/icons/favicon.ico . Overwrite it and done!

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/23 19:15

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
ghia wrote:

Overwrite it and done!

Until you change theme...... then you have to change the one in xoops_root!!

The point here is that Morpho themes should be written to use the xoops_root favicon.ico rather than go their own contrary way.

SJ - the file that needs editing in Morph themes is .../xotpl/xometas.html (lines 16 & 17). "Normal" themes used this code in theme.html:

<link href="<{$xoops_url}>/favicon.ico" rel="SHORTCUT ICON" />

Change .../xotpl/xometas.html (lines 16 & 17) to refer to this favicon.ico and see how you get on.

ghia
  • 2008/10/23 19:25

• ghia

Quote:
Until you change theme...... then you have to change the one in xoops_root!!
Ok, but that was already countered in step 1
But I admit if your XOOPS_ROOT is different from your site root, you can have 3 places with favicons.
Quote:
The point here is that Morpho themes should be written to use the xoops_root favicon.ico rather than go their own contrary way.
I think they wanted to provide you with a themable favicon.

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits