arlindo
Language support - Sugestions needed!
  • 2008/7/16 12:07

• arlindo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/10/9

Hi there,

I need to create one new website and i need to be able to allow 3 diferent languages.
Witch is the best solution in XOOPS to enable this?
The idea is:
- The index should identify the country, and by so, showing XOOPS in the user language;
- Witch XOOPS Version Recomended for This?
- This option should also change the language in the modules;

I could install several XOOPS instalations, one for eatch language, but it is to silly..

Sugestions?

Regards and sorry my Inglish....

Mamba
Re: Language support - Sugestions needed!
  • 2008/7/16 16:35

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Just use XLanguage.

You can have a block with your three flags of the languages you want to use, and let the user to select his/her language. This will also change the language of modules.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

frankblack
  • 2008/7/16 17:40

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

Quote:
This will also change the language of modules.

But not the content. You need a special markup for declaring different languages for every part of the content. This could give you problems e.g. when a title for category is very long, you have three languages and the input field only accept 50 chars.

IMHO THIS is not a good idea to make a site multilingual. What I think is, in order to make a site multilingual, that the MODULES have to be capable computing multilingual content. This is what I am currently doing for debaser.

arlindo
  • 2008/7/18 15:07

• arlindo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/10/9

Thanks!!

I have installed XLanguage, but has FrankBlack said, i could not change the content... So I am back to the original basic Idiea of making two CMS, controled by framed page...
Its working OK. It Suits for now.

I will be one instantanius tester for your "upgraded debaser" module FrankBlack...

Regards!

Arlindo

frankblack
  • 2008/7/18 16:14

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

To get things more clear: IF you have installed xlanguage you can make your content multilingual, but you have to use markup to divide the content for each language, e.g.:

Quote:
[en]This is english content[/en][de]Dies ist deutscher Inhalt[/de]

This could be a bit exhausting and confusing if you have a lot of languages.

Additionally you get problems when you want to use tinyeditor as content editor (I can speak only for tinyeditor), because the other languages will disappear in the editor.

If you want to use tinyeditor you have to hack yourroot / include / common.php. Instead of

include_once XOOPS_ROOT_PATH.'/modules/xlanguage/api.php';

it has to be

if (!preg_match("/admin/"dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']))) include_once XOOPS_ROOT_PATH.'/modules/xlanguage/api.php';

Just wanted to get things clear!

P.S.: BTW debaser is NOT a good module for writing news, articles etc. The main purpose of the module is to get multimedia files to XOOPS. You COULD use it for writing articles, but there are MUCH MORE BETTER modules for this. Perhaps other developers will not laugh at my coding, but hopefully take it as an inspiration?

Runeher
  • 2008/10/11 12:06

• Runeher

• Module Developer

• Since: 2008/1/24

Hi all.

We use xlanguage on xoopsnordic.org, but when translating eg. a fairly long forum title, there don't seem to be room for it in the title field. Example: [da]Website anmeldelser af XOOPS websteder[/da][no]Website anmeldelser av XOOPS websteder[/no][se]Website anme

As you can see, there are no room for the swedish translation. How can we extend these fields without doing it directly in db?

ghia
  • 2008/10/11 13:11

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
How can we extend these fields without doing it directly in db?
You can't!
It's one way or the other.
Or you are happy depending on the number of languages used with one half, third, ... of the space provided or you need to double, triple, ... the space used in the database by extending the length or number of the fields to store the texts.

A good extension for XLanguage would be that a table with texts and a reference and language id is added to the database. The tags could then be specified as eg. [xl]ref_nr[/xl], which will be usable for small fields. The xlanguage system would then lookup the selected language with the refnr to replace the tags for the texts when showing.
For editing there could be made a plugin for eg. Tiny, to allow creation of a new reference number and editing the available language texts.
But the disavantage is that this tag greatly obscure the real content of fields.

Runeher
  • 2008/10/13 14:54

• Runeher

• Module Developer

• Since: 2008/1/24

Thanks for your reply...

We did it using db insertion, but it's a poor solution when many webmasters are involved...

hervet
  • 2008/10/15 6:41

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hello Frank,

Quote:

frankblack wrote:
This is what I am currently doing for debaser.

Can you explain how you are doing please ?

bye,
Hervé

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits