spgster
Content Module Enhancement
  • 2007/7/25 8:23

• spgster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/7/20

Hi,

New to XOOPs and converting my old rugby team site (www.suttonrugby.co.uk) to a nice shiny new XOOPs version (www.suttonrugby.co.uk/newsite - Currently under construction!)

Looking at the old site, on the menu we have a section for teams. We run a lot of teams so I have created a generic teams page that contains things like contacts, fixtures and a team news section. These are administered by the team captain/manager on line using my rather rubbish admin tool.

I managed to make a generic php page that was imported into the Content module. In that page I look up the team id in my DB against the name of the team specified in thenew Content menu ( by looking in the XOOPS tables for the content id, and getting the menu name, then comparing that in my teams db! yuk!)

It is working to a point. I have yet to finish the formatting and replacing the dynamic liks, but it is kind of working.

What I would like to be able to do is define a bunch of sections (in this case it will be teams). then define a template page that conatins blocks that can contain data pulled from different sources. Then I can edit the content o feach block using the admin tool of what ever module is used to maintain this, and assign the actual data to a specific section (team). When the user clicks the team menu, he will see the content built into the generic page based on the data stored for that specific team.

This is exactly what I have on the old site, but it is just plain PHP and my cruddy coding. I really need to get this working an a generic fashion inside XOOPs as there are other reasons why we need to use XOOPs (for other parts of the site)

I am sort of happy with what we have already in the new XOOPs site, but it does mean that the site admin users still have to go back to my old rubbishy admin screens to edit team information (Contacts are stored ina contact table and linked to a team by name and role, team news is stored in another table, fixtures in another).

I am sort of tempted to have a go at making my own module for this, but given that this is day 3 of my XOOPs experience I think it may take me some while to do this.

I have had some very good responses from people in the groups about modules etc, I wonder if anyone either knows of a tool I can use, or can point me in the right direction for writing my own, or even better, someone write one one for me because they have nothing better to do!

I am sure there would be quite a large demand for a sort of generic teams page type of module, there are many sports clubs that run many teams and would like to allow each team to manage their own content based on a generic page template.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Steve

Peekay
Re: Content Module Enhancement
  • 2007/7/25 8:57

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Hi spgster, welcome to xoops.org

I posted a hack in this thread that allows tabbed pages using Content 0.6 (not the latest version of Content). There is also a modification that will display a block from another module in a page.

Not exactly the solution you're after, but perhaps the underlying code may be of some help.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

spgster
  • 2007/7/25 9:42

• spgster

• Just popping in

Hi,

I'll take a look and see what I can do with it.
This is all a bit new to me and sometimes gets a bit messy!

I am sure I will get there in the end.

Steve

preachur
  • 2007/7/25 10:19

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Take a look at tabbed content in action. (This is a new site so it hasn't filled up yet, but it is working.)

http://aggregateresearch.net

That's pulling right from the blocks. It can pull content from any block. Peekay did a whole tutorial, and I explained it in some other posts somewhere, too.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

zyspec
  • 2007/7/25 13:17

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Steve,

You might also try Formulize with Pageworks. I believe you'll be able to setup what you want without having to code a module from scratch.

A warning though, setting up Formulize/Pageworks and understanding their relationship isn't an easy task but it sounds like you've developed PHP code before so the concepts shouldn't be too foreign.

spgster
  • 2007/7/25 19:10

• spgster

• Just popping in

Guys,

Thanks to all for your replies.
The tabbed page does look quite good, I think I may adopt that for another part of my site. Great work on that!

I am currently looking at Formlize and Pageworks as it looks like it may give me the data access I need quickly.

I will post back with updates so you can all see what a hatchet job I have made of a fantastic toolkit!

Cheers,

Steve

garethpaul
  • 2007/8/23 12:49

• garethpaul

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/8/23

Hi Steve,
What did you go with for your fixtures in the end?
I am looking on your site, and like the way it works with the drop down box?
Is this purely through mastop_publish?

I have only just found out about mastop and like it lots, however, I am finding it a hard learning curve.

I need to do a similar fixtures list for a website, so any pointers would be handy.

Oh, and a quick question with adding content in mastop. Can it only be done after entering the administration menu? Or is there something like 'Submit Content' available from the general website?

Thanks,
Gareth

spgster
  • 2007/8/24 22:29

• spgster

• Just popping in

Hi,

The fixtures page is a Mastop custom page using some php include that I wrote that will query a table in my DB.

Once I worked out how to add the custom PHP the rest was quite easy.
Let me know if you need any further assistance with this, it took me quite a while to get this working properly - happy to help where I can

Steve

spgster
  • 2007/8/24 22:32

• spgster

• Just popping in

I forgot to add, you have to go to the admin menu to add content in Mas_top unfortunately.

A bit more on the fixtures page:

I created a custom PHP file that does the following:

Lookup all Team IDs in the db.
Build a combo from the ids.
Select all fixtures from the DB and render them , hiding all except the selected team's fixtures. That is all java script that you can pinch from the site's source code if you like.

Login

Who's Online

192 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 192

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits