phppp
[XoopsTeam] progress - module development - June 9th
  • 2007/6/10 2:43

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

The XOOPS Module Development Team Proposal

Tasks: (module refer to "XOOPS module", hacks and add-ons that not be considered as "XOOPS core")
1 train XOOPS module developers and improve their skills in any aspect
2 propose development standards for XOOPS modules
3 maintain XOOPS module repository:
* keep modules up-to-date;
* seek successor if a module is abandoned;
* provide urgent security fixes in case author is not able contacted in time
4 act as a bridge between XOOPS users and the Core Development Team

Rules:
1 a member being inactive (no module release, no technical support, no team meeting for more than two month) will be losing his/her module developer identity and his/her module(s) becomes adoptable
2 every member shall report to Team Coordinator on the First of each month
3 the team shall report to XOOPS Project Council on the First of each month

Leader(s):
akitson

Memebrs:
mboyden
dhsoft
To Be Added

snow77
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - module development - June 9th
  • 2007/6/10 3:53

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

Hi phppp,

Regarding the XOOPS module repository, specifically point #3 = maintain XOOPS module repository. The site is being built from the notes taken at mxo, It was understood to me that the site although a sub-official site, would be or is, I don't have it clear now, a community managed site under the supervision of an admin or group of admins that leader it. I've been in charge of leaving the structure finished and have given it's administration to David and Vaughan as main admin supervisors in charge of it's inauguration and making plans for the team structure and follow up on it's organization.

I've got a meeting pending with the administrators to take final decisions on the content structure and finish building the site and leave them in charge.

Please advise me what I should do with the change of plans, and who I should I hand everything to, to let them finish what was started, if it is still in mind of using the work done of the site setup. Or what you suggest the plans to be?

Thank you,
Ana
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

phppp
  • 2007/6/10 4:16

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

Thank you Ana for the reminder.
In the past some of our work were done in a back-door way. Now let's turn it open.

My suggestion would be: report your team or your existing tasks, then let's discuss what is the best way for our project to take advantage of our past works.

Keep in mind, the module development team is is a proposal which means it would be finalized with the name of "module development" with the above task list, or it could be switch to another format, especially the maintenance of the repository.

sailjapan

Quote:

phppp wrote:
In the past some of our work were done in a back-door way. Now let's turn it open.

3 cheers for phppp! Hip-hip...
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

snow77
  • 2007/6/10 6:47

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

Ok, I will make a report of the status of addons, how it has been defined until the moment and it's objectives.

I want to make note to clear the concept, when I said "community managed site", I mean that it (XOOPS Addons) has been defined as an independent site managed by a community member(s) who's responsibility is to provide the interactive space for the community, it's management external from the main centralized XOOPS management planned by the lead core developer.

The main centralized XOOPS management being focused to take care of the core and progress of XOOPS software. While the other areas being external and independently owned by a community member who shows a leadership in providing this space (xoops "information" site) lets free for the decisions to be taken by community members without the project leaders to be directly involved. That is sort of the ideology that was being applied until now. That was why XOOPS was divided in a network of sites, each independently owned under an open source environment. If I remember well, only 2 sites were to be considered "official" and managed by the project leaders: xoops.org : the product site , and the documentation, and a (possible 3rd site) core dev site if it was needed a space other than the one sourceforge provides; all else was left in hands of the community independently owned by those who stand out as leaders. The foundation taking care of supporting the XOOPS project and community initiatives. Everything being interrrelated.

That was what has been defined. And I'll place the status of XOOPS Addons under this perspective as it's the one I've known until now, and leave the decision for the project leader, if this perspective of open source will continue or to establish a new perspective of how the different XOOPS sites will be handled, mainly for the ones considered in the XOOPS site subdivision.

A definition of XOOPS objectives of the root of the project, XOOPS objectives as a community and how open source will be applied to the whole movement, would be good to ensure that a fragile Babel Tower is not built. I get a feeling that "+1" or "unconstructive negativism", won't build anything solid when the foundation of what XOOPS is and how we want it to work is not clearly defined, so it feels like we are voting or judging blindly. Please don't take me wrong, I don't mean to be negative with this, it's an observation done looking after something positive.

There's something in the order things are being done that doesn't seem right to me. How can I tell someone: "I'm going on an excursion, join me", I get a group, then they ask me "What are we going to do?" and I say "We are going to jump off a mountain in a parachute" ... some of them might not think that's too cool. In my opinion the happening of events are happening too rapid. It's been barely 2 days and I think a more carefull analysis is needed and do the steps in order of events. First the manifest (framework - roadmap thing), then the expressing of the plans and desired tasks, then team formation, but not all at the same time as it may cause confusion.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

sailjapan

Quote:

snow77 wrote:
Hi phppp,

Regarding the XOOPS module repository, specifically point #3 = maintain XOOPS module repository. The site is being built from the notes taken at mxo, ...

What was 'mxo'?
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

snow77
  • 2007/6/10 7:30

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

A site with a forum created by the past core developers where a set of people were in charge of analyzing all the current xoops.org site and retrieving from all the past forum threads feedback on how it was thought to make XOOPS better, arriving to conclusions with all that information to make the structure of the network of the main XOOPS sites, once the structure of sites were ready they were to be opened to the community so team formation could be made. That approach did not work, so plans changed and it was concluded that the opensource perspective I mention in the above post would be best as it would leave everything open to the community. From there it was left to my understanding that the best approach is for core developers to take care fundamentally of the core and bringing to success to the XOOPS software. Other areas left under control of the community and this way create a balance.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

sailjapan

Thank you for your detailed reply, Ana. Much appreciated.

Crip

BlueStocking

@Snow77,

What has been done in two days is a breath of fresh air.
I have waited much to long to see a working Wiki in service and ready for our use.

I really don't care about all the planing it is time to SEE SOME RESULTS. No, its past time....

phppp has give me hope.
Don't slow him down.
Catch up with him.

A BlueStocking Wish.
BTW: XOOPS has a solid foundation, its the new heights that is giving it trouble. The foundation needs to be reinforced not moved, I feel two many people want to OWN a little piece of it and have taken away from the whole.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

phppp
  • 2007/6/13 8:26

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

Hi Ana,

I did not see your above replies as I thought those were for module development team.

As for official sites under-construction, we are looking forward to seeing their progress from site reports. No one ever say those sites will be discarded as the plans and design are already discussed and approved by the community, the only thing remaining is to carry out the plan and let the community accept sites upon their reviews.

For sites management or group involvement, as I proposed in the request - report from XOOPS official sites under-construction

Quote:
An official site shall use unified XOOPS Project theme or a theme recommended by the Design Team and approved by the Council.
Official site themes are mainly, if no exception, provided by the XOOPS Design Team.
Official site code bases are maintained by "XOOPS Technical Group" appointed by the XOOPS Core Development Team.

Now leave the topic to module development team and move site construction discussion to its own thread.

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits