jensclas
Dokuwiki help with permissions/config needed

Hi -

I have successfully installed the module 'docuwiki' to XOOPS 2.0.14 and the install went 'successfully'. It says I have everything required - but when I go to use the module I get this meesage abovethe dokuwiki:

Quote:
datadir does not exist or isn't writable. Check config!
olddir does not exist or isn't writable. Check config!

This is followed by the expected start etc...

I uninstalled and reinstalled the module and in the successful install screen watched for this info : datadir and oldir were said to be writable - but when I wish to use the dokuwiki module, it (not xoops) is showing this error. Now I have figured I need to check the chmod for these files...but the problem is I can't for the life of me identify datadir and olddir. I am making some assumptions which may be incorrect - this warning does not give file type so i am assuming they are .php . It also doesn't show a path so I don't know in which folder to look and I have checked everyone and that suggests they don't exist at all. I can't find them in the unzipped download file either...so I am totally lost!

Then my error report shows a bunch of 'notices' which I can post here but we usually pay little attention to them - they go away when debug is off. so...

Can anyone help me to understand the problem and find and correct the files?

TIA
Jen

PS...have spent hours with help guides on wiki...but haven't given up yet...I will keep trying

Edit: just found this

Quote:
Other problems include a error
I suspect I need to create the directories but these should be in the distribution.

In the configuration manger the save button is missing.

I needed to CHMOD the upload directories to 777 to make them work which is a bit excessive.
from here

But the reply to You need to chmod 3 folders and one file

Cache
templates_c
uploads

These should be 0777

- well..they are.

then this

Quote:
mainfile.php should be 0777 during the install and then MUST be 0444 afterwards.

Does this mean I need to make my XOOPS mainfile.php 0444 before pressing the install button on the module? never had to do that before! Now confused more.

jensclas
Re: Dokuwiki help with permissions/config needed update

With a little help from david - I have just checked and discovered the following with respect to the permissions

Cache - chmod 777
but there are odd folders inside it 0,9, a, and d and none of them can be 777 - they are 755. The error I get is 550 Could not change perms on ... Bad file descriptor

They each have 2 files
'0' has
0a4aa092536c5589f40223cf36f0ec59.i chmod 644
0a4aa092536c5589f40223cf36f0ec59.xhtml chmod 644

the rest have the same pattern just different number sequences in the file names.

Templates-c is 777 and looks as it should

Uploads is 777
and as per install instructions has the contents of uploads-english inside it giving a file structure of
uploads

-dokuwiki chmod 666
--4202fbf5a90baaf84a4db348cbdff378 chmod 755 - can;t make writable: 550 Could not change perms on 4202fbf5a90baaf84a4db348cbdff378: Bad file descriptor
--attic chmod 766
--c43197b41ea330ec49e565540120a995 chmod 666 (same error when changing permissions)
--pages chmod 766
---wiki chmod 766

So...help!??? Are these odd files in need of simple deletion...or do i need to contact the host to make them fully writeable???

jensclas

It's got worse...now there is
metadir does not exist or isn't writable. Check config!
lockdir does not exist or isn't writable. Check config!
changelog does not exist or isn't writable. Check config!

after checking the permissions as thoroughly as i did....sigh....

(and updating both the dokuwiki and sysetm modules didn;t help - will try anything once!)

jensclas

Update:

Just uninstalled the module
Tried to clear cache but its folders 0,9,a and d won;t comply (permission denied) and cleared Templates_c and removed the od folders in uploads with nubers for names.

reinstalled and got the same messages:
metadir does not exist or isn't writable. Check config!
lockdir does not exist or isn't writable. Check config!
changelog does not exist or isn't writable. Check config!

http://test.jensclassroom.com/modules/dokuwiki/doku.php?

Tried the FAQ on how to change permissions when you can;t with ftp and used cpanel - to no avail...the chmods have remained at 755 for those rogue folders in cache (I am assuming they are rogue but could be wrong)

Should i ask the host to remove them or chmod them?

Is this possibly related to another error I am getting?
(error #2 is that my site intermittently won't connect. Using Cpanel I created a subdomain and within that domain i installed XOOPS with its own table using fantastico. It seems that since then (but could have been happening before because I wasn't especially active on my domain before doing this) one minute i can access nothing, minutes later I might get any one of the subdomain, the domain site, cpanel, ftp connection and web host site...and then someteimes I get one and not the other and each time it I get a page not found error - (can't resolve host name in ftp) even if I am connected to one of the 3 areas domain, subdomain or cpanel...or with my ftp...its really strange- and the host hasn't come up with an answer...yet. This problem did however exist before I started installing modules)

Peekay
  • 2006/9/7 23:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Hi jensclas

DokuWiki is another of phppp's wonderful journeys into the unknown. I don't know if any of this will help, but as they say on Trisha... this is my story.

1) Housekeeping:

To remove the folders that won't go away (they've been created by some script so I suspect that Apache thinks you don't own them), try creating files on your PC/Mac with identical names. Then FTP them to the directory and over-write the originals. You should then be able to delete them.

2) If you are able to start from scratch, in xoops/uploads:

* Create a directory called 'dokuwiki'. Inside this:
* Create a new empty text file named 'changes.log'.
* Create the folders - 'pages', 'attic', 'meta', 'locks', and 'cache'.

3) In Xoops/dokuwiki/prefs, ensure the values are:

Save dir = dokuwiki
Data Dir = pages
Historical data dir = attic

In Xoops/DokuWiki/admin set permissions for webmasters, registered and anon users.

4) Before you go any further, change 'local.php'.

I tried 2 versions of DokuWiki - the 2.0 RC and the 2.0. I believe that the local.php in the 2.0 final distribution may have some issues. It might work for you, but when I installed 2.0 final I had problems trying to access the configuration manager in DokuWiki. See this thread.

Anyway, the solution (for me) was to replace local.php with the version from the RC. If you can't source the RC (I can't remember where I got it) PM me your email address and I'll send you the file to try out.

5) When you can eventually change things in Configuration Manager... don't.

The local.php supplied with the module contains code that is needed to make DokuWiki work with Xoops. Problem is... if you change *anything* in DokuWiki configuration manager, (e.g. I changed the language from 'FR' to 'EN') it over-writes the local.php file with an updated version... minus the essential code. Result = misery.

6) And just when you thought it was all over...

When I eventually got everything to work, I discovered everything didn't work (I'm getting rather used to this by now). I found that the webmaster could upload an image and see the image too, but anonymous and registered users could neither upload (error message) or view images. Again I may have just been having a particularly bad day, but if not, there's an explanation and a fix in this thread.

I was so exhausted from the experience, I have not actually used DokuWiki since. It appears to be a very fast WIKI (file based, rather than databased). phppp has done a typically fine job of the integration - yet provided just enough tribulation to stop you becoming complacent.

HTH
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jensclas

Thanks peekay...looks like I need to find a rather large block of time and be prepared to play with an open mind to possible frustration! I could consider putting it in the too hard basket...but I am likely to give it a go and let you know the result. Got holidays next week - will prbably wait till then.

jensclas

Hi

I did this

Quote:
2) 2) If you are able to start from scratch, in xoops/uploads:

* Create a directory called 'dokuwiki'. Inside this:
* Create a new empty text file named 'changes.log'.
* Create the folders - 'pages', 'attic', 'meta', 'locks', and 'cache'.

3) In Xoops/dokuwiki/prefs, ensure the values are:

Save dir = dokuwiki
Data Dir = pages
Historical data dir = attic

In Xoops/DokuWiki/admin set permissions for webmasters, registered and anon users.

First I renamed the dokiwiki folder in uploads rather than delete it and then created the new. Creating the new seems to have fixed it...now I have to learn how to use it!

I do have a warning error i might need to deal with to...but another day...so far i haven't had to do the other steps...touch wood!

phppp
  • 2006/9/27 14:19

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Peekay wrote:

I was so exhausted from the experience, I have not actually used DokuWiki since. It appears to be a very fast WIKI (file based, rather than databased). phppp has done a typically fine job of the integration - yet provided just enough tribulation to stop you becoming complacent.

"phppp" is only ONE person who is trying to do his best to provide usage support apart from development of modules.

But ONE person is just ONE person, would you be pleased to help those modules short of hands?

Peekay
  • 2006/9/27 16:11

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Sorry phppp, wasn't meant as a criticism. I had a few problems and resolved them, so I posted my fixes and recommendations. I confess it was tiring for me because it's a BIG module and not having the skills of a developer my troubleshooting procedure works like this:

OK, lets try adding another curly brace?... No.

Perhaps another one?... No

One more?... Yes!

My localhost setup is in my sig. If you ever want me to test anything with that setup before you release it I will be glad to help.

I do actually hope to have my DokuWiki site live before the end of the year.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jensclas

Quote:
"phppp" is only ONE person who is trying to do his best to provide usage support apart from development of modules.

I am not intending to whine either - I know how hard you are working and solo makes it harder. I gave up - prepared to wait for the next release of dokuwiki... and just so you know I have a succesful install of mediawiki on 2.0.14 and it is working well...don't know if that helps your future coding for Dokuwiki but it might I am struggling a bit with it - but getting there very slowly

I am happy to test things for you from a user perspective...but I am very dumb when it comes to code.
Jen

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits