nekro
What we can include to XOOPS to get it friendlier ???
  • 2006/8/4 7:11

• nekro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/11/9

The idea... is that we have a great project... with great features... but ... the are some points... some not soo important points... and maybe somo useless points... which can make XOOPS friendlier and more likeable our project ... some features... plugins... or simple hacks ... which never had been developed... or had to be improved... I sugest to make a list of them to think about it... and improve the project... also in that way...

One idea for me... is to improbe

P.D: Maybe some features requested ... are allready done... and we can inform each other about it...

snow77
Re: What we can include to XOOPS to get it friendlier ???
  • 2006/8/4 7:20

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

it be ok say alot, good ideas there... but will you assume the responsability of your idea?...

just a little thing I've been learning of what opensource is :)
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

nekro
  • 2006/8/4 7:32

• nekro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/11/9

what responsability??? ... the idea of the post ... is to make a way to colect ( for everyone , not for me )... in a same place ideas... to make XOOPS more likeable.. and not soo hard... nothing else... it would be great if we can accumulate ideas to a next "prettier" step of XOOPS ...

opensource teach me that if I have one idea... and you other diferent idea... and we interchange the ideas... then... both will be happy ... because now we will have TWO ideas...

snow77
  • 2006/8/4 7:41

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

how dinamycally this can get through, I don't know. You have good idea. but it would be nice if you support your own initiative... why can't you start that list since you already started thinking of it? ...and the rest of us contribute to it
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

jensclas

I think if you were to look around enough and in the right places you will see work is being done, lists have been made and we are working on it within the commuity already...so if you have something specific to contribute please do so but I am reluctant to have yet another list of 'I want' requests...look through the threads in forums like feature requests in themes and modules, and XOOPS feedback and suggestions and you will have a few hours reading of ideas.

Quote:
for everyone , not for me

The forum is already here and a place of gathering information and requests and posting specific ideas...your idea of another list seems a trifle redundant. I understand the sentiment but believe me when I say we need people with the ability (time, skills, leadership etc) to put their ideas into action not just give us the ideas...Without action there is no leadership and all the ideas in the world will not get us anywhere...same with lists that are not met with action.

Those of us who do put in on the action already have big lists and use our free time...if you want to ad more to the lists please use the appropriate forum threads and look for what is already said before starting another list of things for other people to do.

...ok...off my soap box...slinking away to do some more XOOPS related action....

snow77
  • 2006/8/4 7:58

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

jensclas, I like your soapbox. I must do the same slinking away too.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Herko
  • 2006/8/4 12:13

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I think the point here isn't that Nekro is seen as complaining about lacking features, nor about his enthusiastic ideas of improvement. The forums are full of both great ideas just waiting to be hatched, feature requests that will make XOOPS a true killer application, and people complaining about the lack of this and that, and too few people who actually *work* to improve XOOPS. Don't get me wrong, but posting good ideas and sharing them isn't working on improvement. Just take a look at your local politicians and you'll understand what I mean

Anyways, Nekros ideas may be good, but they're just ideas. Not complaints tho.

Why not focus on ine good idea in particular and work to make that a reality, Nekro? That would be a true contribution to the open source spirit

Herko

khuhner
  • 2006/8/4 14:03

• khuhner

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/6 3

I just finished deploying my first XOOPS site. As a developer in another lifetime, I thought I could hit the ground running fairly quickly, however I ran into some hurdles that I think would make XOOPS "friendlier."

When I planned to relaunch my site (it was originally on Yahoo's Group site; I had out grown them), I searched for free or inexpensive framework that I could easily modify from a "control panel" and ultimately, get some of my non-technical members to help out with moderation. After a long search I chose Xoops. The idea of being able to upload and install modules, look at them, and uninstall them quickly and easily was the selling point. I really liked that.

However, on the journey I suffered some frustrations.

(1) "Support" - I think that support/feedback provided on Xoops.org was a B- and most times the information was close enough that I could make it work. But I am a DEVELOPER. Should it be that complicated? Further to this point a LOT OF POSTS, say "here's some code, try it out and see if it works." That is frustrating. I can't tell you how many code snippets ended up in the trash. I appreciate the effort, but the quality ends up making the experience "less friendly"

(2) Modules/Module Support - I love the fact that the modules can be (mostly) seamlessly installed, configured and uninstalled. However, I found that MANY module authors insist on providing support from THEIR WEBSITES. While I understand this, to me this is not "friendly." Especially when a LOT OF THESE 3rd party module websites DONT PROVIDE ENGLISH translations. Now I understand that English isn't everyone’s first language, but Xoops.org is able to provide "support" in English. I think to be "friendlier" you need to provide centralized help, with support that includes English. Googling and finding language translators for Chinese, French just to understand why the module is not functioning properly.

(3) Module Development - As I progress in Xoops, I'd like to tweak various modules and create new ones. I think that if the XOOPS technical experts could develop a framework that makes it easy to deploy modules would go a long way. For instance in OpenStep (created by Steve Jobs when he left Apple) was a great development framework. They used a framework (model-controller-view) and a library of system modules that hid a lot of the SQL and allowed users to create objects that natively updated themselves when the object was updated. This would go very far in XOOPS to allow people to easily deploy objects.

(4) Templates - while most of us have modified a template, the mere housekeeping that it takes when upgrading to not lose all the work is also frustrating. A more "friendly" deployment of baseline templates and user modified templates driven through the Admin panel would go very far in making XOOPS "friendly."

I'm still rooting for XOOPS and will continue to contribute assistance to others who are new as others have done for me

Just my .02 worth.

Kurt

JimLunsford

I've tried alot of cms's out there and I have to say that XOOPS is by far the best supported and easy to use out of all of them. I have some pretty stupid questions at times and all have been met with kind and quick responses.

I have been frustrated at times with the way the development has gone over the past year. I also know the pains of looking for modules that work right out of the box so to speak. When I get frustrated I try to remember that this is an Open Source project and there is only one way to make things better and that is to help out where I can. I also remember that this free!

Herko
  • 2006/8/4 16:20

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

khuhner wrote:
I just finished deploying my first XOOPS site. As a developer in another lifetime, I thought I could hit the ground running fairly quickly, however I ran into some hurdles that I think would make XOOPS "friendlier."

<snip>

I'm still rooting for XOOPS and will continue to contribute assistance to others who are new as others have done for me

Just my .02 worth.

Kurt

Its good to have this feedback, of course, and thank you for this. Some of your hurdles have been removed already (the templates can be overridden with files in the theme folder since 2.0.14, for instance), and some will require a lot of work.

The framework is what Skalpa and phppp and some others are working on, it'll be XOOPS 2.3. If you're interetsted, take a look at devteam.xoops.org, and get an alpha release and look at some of the (well documented) code.

As for support, since this a community supported project, you get what you put into it. There is no staff who works for the community and does things for everyone. Of course, the available information can (and will be) organised better, but that too is a community effort. Well, basically everything is a community effort here.

And that is the whole point of this thread: not just 'what needs to be changed', but 'what will I do to make it better'. Giving feedback is a start. But its just that

Herko

Login

Who's Online

250 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 250

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits