ChrisCorreia
Can an end user/non developer really install and set up XOOPS?

I'm just a regular guy. I set up a basic web site for my business using Frontpage. That's the extend of my development experience. No HTML. No PHP. Little knowledge of web server terminology.

Can I really install and set up XOOPS myself? I've perused FAQs, posts, tutorials etc, and I get the impression that no info is available that really can walk this ignoramous though the install and set up process in such a way that they won't hit deadends, and deadends that I won't even be able to articulate in asking questions. People who know a bit about such matters often, I think, make assumptions about what people like me know; telling us to read the documentation/tutorial and to search forum topics is easy to do, but that stuff doesn't always make sense to a complete noob.

So, can I do it? Frankly, I cant' afford to spend hours a day over the course of two weeks setting things up and figuring things out. If that's what it will take, I won't do it.

What I'm looking at doing is setting up a discussion forum for citizens in my city to debate dialogue on community issues. I know I can do that with a Simple Machines forum, which I've just added into my business website, but I got the idea that it could be good to use a CMS so that I could integrate a blog, announcements, offer some polls, etc.

XOOPS, or any CMS, might be more than I need for such basics, but I thought I'd set things up well for the future. An online acquaintance told me XOOPS would hold my hand through the process compared to using Joomla or Mambo, but I'm not convinced of that based on what I've been reading. It might be simpler, but it's not hand holding from what I have read. There are gaps and assumptions in the docs and posts I've read. There is a reason that Frontpage has a user base. I'm it, even if I am interested in stepping out/up.

skenow
Re: Can an end user/non developer really install and set up XOOPS?
  • 2006/6/23 13:03

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Chris - it is really quite straightforward to upload and install Xoops, you can even still use Frontpage to upload the files to your server.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend Xoops for Dummies. It is a pretty comprehensive tutorial that gives you an overview, and step-by-step instructions for each part of the installation. You can even get more in-depth information about other how-to's: FTP, CHMOD, Zip.

Also, check out JDSeymour's site. He has some well done flash tutorials.

Lots of help is available, someone may even commit to doing the initial setup for/with you. You just have to ask.

ChrisCorreia

A prompt and helpful reply from a fellow Minnesotan; must be why. LOL

Those look like worthwhile resources. Thanks a bunch. My web host (godaddy) has XOOPS available as an app they will install, but it is not the current version; so I should try it myself.

I am not averse to doing the install and setup myself, so I know what is going on. I just do not like banging my head against the desk for basic stuff. I just want a portal page I can plug stuff into and a linked forum to start. Hopefully, I can do it with minimal cerebral bruising.

shalommemphi

I have tried other CMS products, paid and free and found this product to be a very simple straight forward install. The readme file is pretty simple and the installation process checks stuff out for you.

MOST IMPORTANT:

Setting up your sql file and being able to change the CHMOD ( File Access Permission Rights ) Look for these requirements and set them prior to an install Saves lots of headaces.

Now as long as you have a way to upload files to your server, and change file access permission rights and understand that...THE REST IS A BREEZE

Modules install straight froward...As long as you can UPLOAD them to the correct directory.

Note: I say that because as I reacall GoDaddy doesn't necessarily give you a great control panel to the server.
Helping each other with Knowledge

Quest
  • 2006/6/23 14:32

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

I myself am never really satisfied with much of anything and always go on trying to make an already good thing better. This I think is where most of my headaches come from, of my own making. Not sure if others are the same as me but I suspect they are when it comes to xoops. Cuz it is so much fun and even addicting.
Plus, if I would just take my time sometimes and read/follow the instructions carefully, funny thing is I don't seem to have the problems. But as is with anything, there is no perfect world. I doubt you were a wiz at Frontpage in the beginning?

Hundreds even thousands of dollars can be spent on a single cms program which after installed does not perform so wonderfully for the end user as they may have wanted or expected. Calling for support or communicating via internet for support can even cost more because they want to charge you for their help. Kinda like hosting providers such as Godaddy. There are many excellent hosting providers with larger storage capacity, bandwith usage, cpanel and much more that offer the hosting at a substantially lower price and get this, it all comes for one low price. Not a package for 19.95 a month, then if you want a database add 10.00 etc. Just an example.

With XOOPS you get IMHO the most powerfull, usefull, upgradeable, evolving and FREE open source platforms out there. The support is terrific, with many many people sharing their knowledge, experiences, themes, modules, and on and on.

Give it a go, you'll see!

You can install it in a way that it will not effect your other site, so you can tinker with it when you want. Everyday probably...

Run into a problem, check the F.A.Q.s, Search, and the Documentation. If that don't work for you, just ask and the folks around here are great!

All plugs for the XOOPS cms are IMHO and freefrom me.

Quest

jensclas

I was a 'frontpager'...xoops was a real lesson for me...but with the generous support I got from this site I soon learned more about the lingo, XOOPS and my host is good...This site has a lot more documentation and support than it had when I started so it should be even easier now. There are no such thinkg as 'dumb' questions...and I doubt since you have already done such research that you will have too much trouble with the underlying concepts. Jack K's XOOPS for dummies was my saviour, and so were Johns tutorials. Both have been mentioned above...so with these and FAQ's you should be right - but don't be afraid to ask!

andycleff
  • 2006/6/23 21:56

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/29

The first XOOPs site you build will be the hardest. But once you get it done, in hindsite you'll realize it was not really that bad.

One of the challenging parts I find is selecting the appropriate modules for what you want to do on your site.

The standard XOOPS package is pretty capable, but there are many many ways to expand its functionality.

The nice thing is that there are many good modules on this site to choose from. They are easy to install, test, and remove if necessary. So play and explore.

On this site you will also find many many helpful people who will walk you through any difficulty you might run into.

Browse the forums and faq's. Chances are most of your questions have been asked and answered already.

And if you get stuck - don't be afraid to ask "stupid questions" - most all of us were beginners once and will be happy to point you in the right direction.
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----
Helping our clients bring great ideas into shape through integrated marketing, creative branding, print and web strategy, online learning and e-commerce.

www.ampersandesign.net

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits