owenjh
Downloads Module
  • 2006/4/11 3:22

• owenjh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/2 2

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a downloads module that allows a user to submit/post/upload a file rather than link to an already existing file.

msdana
Re: Downloads Module
  • 2006/4/11 3:46

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Yes, there are a few download modules. I use WF-Downloads, but if you look in the Module Repository you may find what you need. Doing a search should also bring up information on these modules.

I would suggest that you thoroughly read the modules description and comments, as well as checking the developer's website for an updated version. There may be issues with different versions.

Good luck!
Dana
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

owenjh
  • 2006/4/11 18:14

• owenjh

• Just popping in

I have already looked and read the descriptions of all downloads modules. It seems that WF-Downloads that comes bundled with 2.0.13 doesn't support uploading a new file. I guess I need to look for an updated version of this module or brew my own.

Thanks!

jensclas

Try Smat Factoryand look for smart downloads - a more recent wf downloads.

m0nty
  • 2006/4/11 18:20

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

wf-downloads has and always did support uploading files..

you sure you don't mean mydownloads??

i would hold back a few hours tho.. as we are about to release wf-downloads 3.1 rc1 later today, or tomorrow at latest..

msdana
  • 2006/4/11 18:30

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

I'm excited about the new WF-Downloads release
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

owenjh
  • 2006/4/11 22:39

• owenjh

• Just popping in

Must be just the standard XOOPS module. Not wf-downloads or mydownloads I don't believe

owenjh
  • 2006/4/20 4:28

• owenjh

• Just popping in

Created my own "hack" for this, if anyones interested let me know.

I'm still working on my site but will post a link here with the modifcations needed to upload your own files with the mydownloads module.

Its by no means secure but works for my purpose.

Pastork
  • 2006/4/20 6:38

• Pastork

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/20

Frankly, after looking around for a CMS for my website, one of the reasons that I chose XOOPS is that it apparently gave one the capability to share files for others to download. I have many files that I have created and wanted to upload from my computer to share on a Downloads page.

Now I find out that I can't do it with the basic XOOPS installation? Instead I have to get a module from somewhere else and figure out how to upload it to use with my XOOPS?

Well, I downloaded the WF-Downloads module and read the installation instructions and am completely lost. I am a newbie who just wanted an easy CMS that let me do something I thought should be very simple, and now I find that I am in over my head.

I have previously used Homestead Sitebuilder software and it let me upload files with ease. Do I really have to pay for some expensive software or hosting like Homestead just to be able to do something so simple?

Isn't there some easy way for someone with no experience to do this stuff? That is, after all, what drew me to XOOPS in the first place. I am really disappointed so far. Can anyone help me with some simple instructions that assume that I don't know what things like root directories and ftp's are? Or how one verifies folder permissions? Or knows what "CHMOD the following folders to 777" means?

m0nty
  • 2006/4/20 9:00

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:

Can anyone help me with some simple instructions that assume that I don't know what things like root directories and ftp's are? Or how one verifies folder permissions? Or knows what "CHMOD the following folders to 777" means?

not what you might want to hear but if you don't know what these very basics are, then you should really do some reading as you can't be expected to be a webmaster of a dynamic website or even a site based purely on html without knowing these very basic functions..

i didn't know what chmod meant either when i 1st came to web design.. but you know how i found these out? GOOGLE..

type your question into google.. "what is chmod" and there you will find your answer.

what is a root directory? same again.. it's the top most directory of your website/server..

equivalent to your c:/ drive on your pc.

this site is not the be all and end all of how to build a website.. not everything you need to know is all about xoops.. Google can help you a hell of a lot rather than just sitting around waiting for people to tell you the answer, especially when it's not a specific question related to XOOPS itself.

as far as wf-dpownloads is concerned, the instructions are pretty clear, the functions are explained well enough.. i admit in some areas there could be better descriptions.. but it is basically easy to use. if you're struggling with the root folder, now wonder you find it confusing.. so once you google and find what these things mean, the answer will become clearer..

the root path is providided andyway by default in the module itself.. on the modules admin/index page it literally tells you what your uploads path should be.. you have no need to change that unless you want to move the uploads folder somewhere else, and like always.. there's a simple rule that if you are not sure of what you are doing, then don't change it..

xoops is easy to use, it's 1 of the easiest there is.. but that doesn't mean there aren't things you should already know about.. but read the FAQ section which will help a lot.

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits