wolfone
How do I get my home page to look like that or xoops.org?
  • 2006/4/6 13:33

• wolfone

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/5 2

I've downloaded XOOPS on my pc and found the installation incredibly easy :). I have managed to install modules and templates and add blocks etc. and have figured out how everything works without having to modify code, BUT, no matter how hard I try and whatever articles I read thru the FAQ's the one prob I'm having is e.g.:

When one visits the xoops.org site you see the left and right colums with content down the center. When get to the home page all I see is a home menu and the login box and one has to login before you can see any content + I haven't really tried to customise my site yet unitl I know all the ins and out.

If someone could tell me how I get my start page to show eveything first without having to log in first, I would be most appreciative.

JMorris
Re: How do I get my home page to look like that or xoops.org?
  • 2006/4/6 14:17

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

First, Welcome to XOOPS!

To display content on your homepage, you need to either assign a module as your start page (System Admin >> Preferences >> General Settings >> Module for your start page), or you need to either create or enable a block to be displayed on your homepage (System Admin >> Blocks).

If you choose to display blocks of content on your homepage, just remember that you'll need to set the visibility settings to "Top Page".

Now, after you've done the above, go into System Admin >> Groups and set the permissions so that Anonymous can see the modules and blocks you want them to see. You do this simply by checking the elements of your site that you want users to have access to and then clicking "Update Group".

To get your site to look like xoops.org, you would need to install the Donations module and the Spotlight module, enable the appropriate modules in the Spotlight module, Create a custom block for your welcome message, the powered by block and the custom menus on the left (below user menu); Enable the who's online, recent topics, recent comments, search, and Make a Donation blocks. Then just set the permissions so that Anonymous users can view all your modules and blocks.

Hope this helps.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Herko
  • 2006/4/6 14:19

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Hi, and welcome to XOOPS

What you want to achieve is to set the access/viewing rights for anonymous users of your site (people who are not logged in). You can do this in the Groups menu in the system administration (depending on the XOOPS version you are using). Edit the 'Anonymous' users group, and check all the blocks and modules you want them to be able to see and access Its as easy as that!

Herko

Herko
  • 2006/4/6 14:20

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

James, quit hitting the submit button before me!

Herko

wolfone
  • 2006/4/7 20:30

• wolfone

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/5 2

Hi Guys :)

Well thank you for the help I managed to sort the prob out - I cuda kicked myself was so simple. I have working hard at modifying an existing template and cant wait to show it off. Its nearly finnished - not all the mods have been imstalled rather simple but it looks very nice - even if i have to say it myself. AS sson as its done will let you all know to come and hve a look see !

Once again a very BIG THANKYOU

jensclas

The help docs might assist you in the future - check the help docs thread below. They include the ones in Jame's sig and more.

Cheers

Login

Who's Online

101 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 101

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits