Mantooth
xdonations ipn failure... a solution to my problem might help a lot of people
  • 2006/3/22 20:21

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

Hi. I'm using the xdonations module with XOOPS 2.2.4 The actual donations have always gone through to my paypal account just fine. It's the IPN that's been giving me trouble though.

When i first started using the module, the IPN would post back for a week or so and then it would always fail for about a week. It was driving me crazy but i always assumed it was something weird on paypal's end.

I recently noticed that on my localhost, the link to test the ipn ALWAYS posted back just fine. Then, I realized that it was a problem with my hosting company.

I sent them an email about it and here's the reply...
Quote:
Hello,

Please check the following line in the file /public_html/main/modules/xdonations/ipnppd.php:

$fp = fsockopen ($paypal_url, 80, $errno, $errstr, 30);

It looks like the application is trying to connect to the paypal URl through the php function 'fsockopen'

Kindly note that the php function 'fsockopen' is disabled in our server for security reasons.

Is it reasonable for my host to disable this function? I know a lot of people use this module without problems. and is there a different way to go about it that would be acceptable to my host?

Thanks,
Mantooth

I hate Mortal Kombat

zyspec
Re: xdonations ipn failure... a solution to my problem might help a lot of people
  • 2006/3/23 9:29

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

One other way to do this is by using stream_context_create along with a file open (fopen) but it requires that your host has allow_url_fopen set in php.ini - I suspect that your host disables this function too but you could check with them to see if that's true.

McNaz
Re: xdonations ipn failure... a solution to my problem might help a lot of people
  • 2006/3/23 12:38

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Another way is to use curl but the change to the code is not trivial. I also suspect that curl might be disabled/not installed on your server.

Your best solution might be to seek an alternative host that does provide the functionality you require.

Good luck and cheers.

McNaz.

Mantooth
  • 2006/3/23 15:40

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

thanks for the help. i've politely asked my host if they could enable the fsockopen function. Even though they'll probably say no, i figured i might as well try.

once i hear back from them, i'm going to look into using libcurl. but i have almost zero experience with php, so i'll probably just end up switching hosts.

i'm hoping i can get something to work besides fsockopen because i think a lot of people have the exact same problem with xdonations and don't even realize it like in this thread

I hate Mortal Kombat

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits