terrion
xDonations -- beating a dead horse
  • 2006/2/19 20:04

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

Has anyone managed to figure out why xDonations seems to work for about 1/2 of us almost flawlessly, and for the other half there's a big mystery why the IPN just never seems to work.

As time allows I've been following every thread I can find and seem to be stuck in the same spot as many other Xoopsers.

I can take a raw copy of XOOPS and create a site and xDonations works perfectly. By that I mean the Donate-O-Meter works great, transactions get recorded in the treasury, everything works as expected.

That exact same module installed into any live site just never seems to get the IPN information back from Paypal.

The only "error" I've seen when looking at server logs is in line 34 of the header.php file. --variable xoopsConfig undefined--.

It's a real mystery to my though that I can take pretty much any version of XOOPS right out of the box so to speak (a clean install is what I mean) and it works fine.

The only thing that the "Live Sites" have in common as they've all been upgraded from older cores, starting around 2.0.7.3 or so....
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

terrion
Re: xDonations -- beating a dead horse
  • 2006/2/19 21:35

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

Here's the "xoopsinfo" for the site I'd most like some help with:

Website URL:
http://trianglebirdclub.org

XOOPS Version:
XOOPS 2.2.4

XOOPS Theme:
default --- Actually it's a 7Dana theme---

XOOPS Template Set:

PHP Version:

MySQL Version:

Server Software:
Apache/2.0.51 (Fedora)

User's Browser:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

In my error_log I see xoopsConfig at line 34 is an undefined variable in file header.php (the module's header.)

I'm using the admin email address as the paypal receive address, and made that same addres primary in PayPal.

In the transaction log for xDonations (table xoops_donations_translog) I get this:

Opening connection and validating request with PayPal...
OK!
Incorrect receiver email: , aborting...
<br>Logging events<br>

I've tried checking to make sure that all the email addresses are the same for receiver email in the xDonations config module, made sure this it matches the site admin address (just in case that was the problem,) that email addres is the "primary" address in PayPal.

The paypal account is confirmed.

I'm tried using a .htaccess file to turn On Global Variables (the are off on this server normally.)

I've used two different versions of the 1.9 module (which is yet another mystery, but let's not go into thar right now.)

I'm specifically using the module that John (jdseymour) has provided recently as I know it's working on his site and many others...

I'm returned from paypal to the success page.

In essence, everything seems to work except the IPN logging (which of course effects the Donate-O-Meter which is what we all want that are interested in this module.)

As always, any help, suggestions, are greatly appreciated.
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

Bender
  • 2006/2/20 12:18

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:
The only thing that the "Live Sites" have in common as they've all been upgraded from older cores, starting around 2.0.7.3 or so....

Did you try to validate this theory? How about dumping a copy of the site to a local playground and then overwriting all files (except mainfile.php of course) with a current fresh version. This will break all hacks but just for testing if there is probably one file that doesn´t get changed properly when following the upgrade path might help to see whether this seems reasonable.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

terrion
  • 2006/2/20 12:50

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

Yep! It sounds so obvious when you put it like that.

Guess I should just export the database,
backup mainfile.php,
start with a clean fresh copy of 2.2.3 Final,
Patch that to 2.2.4,
copy in the additional modules (including xDonations),
copy in the previously saved mainfile.php,
and restore the database?

That sound about right? Anything I'm overlooking?
Terrion

McNaz
  • 2006/2/20 13:58

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Hi terrion.

I am not sure if this relates to the xDonation IPN problem but I've had a few expriences developing an IPN plugin for xAsset.

The sneakiest error I've come across on live sites is the webserver's inability to open an SSL connection on port 443 to Paypal to confirm the IPN transaction.

I don't really know whether xDonation uses an outgoing port 80 or 443 for the IPN verification (Paypal supports both). If it does use port 443 then your webserver/PHP has to support this mechanism.

I had this exact same problem with my current web host, who at first denied there was any problem. The following script showed that there was an error at their end.

<?php
  $fp 
fsockopen('ssl://www.sandbox.paypal.com'443,$errnum,$errstr,30);
?>

Put the above code in a php file on your webserver's html directory and call it in your browser. If the server is misconfigures then the above code will generate a warning/error.

Again, like I said, this might or might not be the problem.

Cheers.

McNaz.

terrion
  • 2006/2/20 14:30

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

Thank you very much for your suggestion McNaz,

I did that, it's at www.trianglebirdclub.org/test.php

All I get is a blank white screen, no errors. This I should interpret as a pass, right?

Again, thanks for the suggestion,
Terrion

terrion
  • 2006/2/20 14:40

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

I tried running it from the command line just by typing in "php test.php" rather than pointing the browser to it and get this:

Content-type: text/html
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.11
Terrion

McNaz
  • 2006/2/20 17:02

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

If you get a blank page than it should pass. To get a conclusive result: (I should have posted this first TBH)

<?php
  $fp 
fsockopen('ssl://www.sandbox.paypal.com'443,$errnum,$errstr,30);
  if (!
$fp) {
    echo 
"Error : $errnum, Description: $errstr";
  } else {
    echo 
'Looks good to me.';
  }
?>

Will give you better status message.

Again, hope that helps.

Cheers.

McNaz.

terrion
  • 2006/2/20 17:11

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks again, McNaz, for your followup.

It's at www.trianglebirdclub.org/test2.php

and it "looks good to me"

Maybe Donations just aren't in my future. It was a nice try though!
Terrion

terrion
  • 2006/2/20 17:14

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

Hmm, How about xAsset as a donations module?
Terrion

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits