xoops forums

m0nty

XOOPS is my life!
Posted on: 2005/12/5 17:54
m0nty
m0nty (Show more)
XOOPS is my life!
Posts: 3337
Since: 2003/10/24
#11

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

joomla prides itself on graphical looks.. sure it looks nice with all the graphical features etc.. but that's extra page loading time for many people.. if it's to be added to XOOPS modules then it should definitely be optional and part of the templates not core.

you can add images to the XOOPS menus and header blocks etc by editing the them & css, but modules are different..

davidl2

XOOPS is my life!
Posted on: 2005/12/5 18:18
davidl2
davidl2 (Show more)
XOOPS is my life!
Posts: 4843
Since: 2003/5/26
#12

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

Yes, if you submit this on: http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?smartsection as a suggestion, it may be something for a future release.

Goober

Not too shy to talk
Posted on: 2005/12/5 18:54
Goober
Goober (Show more)
Not too shy to talk
Posts: 101
Since: 2003/3/30
#13

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
joomla prides itself on graphical looks.. sure it looks nice with all the graphical features etc.. but that's extra page loading time for many people....


Agree.

However aren't we officially in the broadband age now? If I remember correctly, wasn't 2005 the year that the majority of the surfers were on broadband? Just curious but I wonder how many sites are still catering to the dialups?

I look at it as any type of technology, keep up or be left behind. I think the same thinking can be applied here. It's like the old saying, "You can make the greatest buggy whips.....".

Don't get me wrong m0nty, I think you know I hold you in high regard. I'm just trying to toss another view point out there.
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

defwind77

Not too shy to talk
Posted on: 2005/12/5 20:44
defwind77
defwind77 (Show more)
Not too shy to talk
Posts: 180
Since: 2005/11/11
#14

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

well I think I agree with monty - I see no reason why it shouldn't be optional - it'd be silly if you HAD to have images - however I think he's missed the real focus of joomla.

They pride themselves on making beautiful WEBSITES - too often CMS means a blocky, bulky and confused website chockablock with text all over the place and 101 different statistics, polls and graphs about everything.

I think the ability to add images and links with them would be brilliant for XOOPS - and I agree that XOOPS has a clearer look - and more importantly it appears more 'robust' - the templates hold really well across the browser range.

However as Goober suggested - people simply aren't concerned about how long a website takes to load these days as it's becoming less and less noticeable - visit any major site - eg Gamespot.com / msn.com / bbc.co.uk etc and you will NOT find a webdeveloper concerned about putting images on his site as they will slow things down.

You find that websites need to look clear and look good to attract visitors. I think a simple, flexible and dynamic image-management tool for the various news items would be a huge addition to the XOOPS arsenal...

Jharis

Just can't stay away
Posted on: 2005/12/5 22:00
Jharis
Jharis (Show more)
Just can't stay away
Posts: 488
Since: 2005/2/13
#15

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

Joomla does look nice. No reason why XOOPS couldn't. I suggest we the users submit suggestions to the devs. Get links and pics when available.

edited...
I meant to say.

No reason why XOOPS couldn't (borrow ideas).

My fingers never type what I tell them.


(el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

tzvook

Just can't stay away
Posted on: 2005/12/5 22:50
tzvook
tzvook (Show more)
Just can't stay away
Posts: 875
Since: 2003/2/1 2
#16

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

Hello all

I would higly recomend a great image management plugin which can be pluged in all the major wysiwyg editors and is under an intensive developement.
It called 'ibrowser' and can be quite easily be addapted to XOOPS pathes.
It is being developed by http://www.net4visions.com and worth the visit (there's also an advanced version (free too).
Take a look @ this direct link: http://www.j-cons.com/news/more.php?id=156_0_1_0_C
I use it a lot and not just @ XOOPS websites...

In general, each news/articles module that has html enable in it's short article description, can be easily presented in a block.... with images.
It's true though that this feature would be great if it'll be better embedded in a block for the front page ...

Xoops has some great articles modules but for most of them the front end side is quite limited and requires a lot of cusumization... sometimes even passing more varaiables to the blocks.
phppp's articles module is supporting templates which is a great ability and will be great if implemented in blocks too.

Mamba

Moderator
Posted on: 2005/12/6 8:58
Mamba
Mamba (Show more)
Moderator
Posts: 10935
Since: 2004/4/23
#17

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

yes, iBrowser looks awesome and I wish it would be incorporated into XOOPS!

I also totally agree with defwind77 - there is no reason why XOOPS couldn't look sexy and attractive. If that's what brings people to JOOMLA, then we should consider it. In the end, our customers DO want to have attractive websites!

Also, I was aware of Mambo before, but this was the first time I was reading about JOOMLA. I have to admit that I was very impressed with what they did in the short period of time - the logo contest, the participation in Linux conference, and winning two 1st prizes. That was impressive. I wish that we would learn from them and do the same, or actually better then them.

I am glad that we are already talking about logos for us, and about marketing promotion for XOOPS. We really have to step up in this area and do a better job. I strongly believe that we have a huge opportunity in this area, and we should learn from other projects - what are the best practices in the Open Source area, why some projects are more successful than the others, and what can we learn from them.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

tzvook

Just can't stay away
Posted on: 2005/12/6 11:16
tzvook
tzvook (Show more)
Just can't stay away
Posts: 875
Since: 2003/2/1 2
#18

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
yes, iBrowser looks awesome and I wish it would be incorporated into XOOPS!


If you use wysiwyg somewhere @ XOOPS simply download itand follow the (very easy) instructions, then give it the XOOPS path to /uploads/ for root dir.

Dona_Brasil

Not too shy to talk
Posted on: 2005/12/6 11:41
Dona_Brasil
Dona_Brasil (Show more)
Not too shy to talk
Posts: 153
Since: 2005/10/28
#19

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

Quote:

Goober wrote:
Quote:

m0nty wrote:
joomla prides itself on graphical looks.. sure it looks nice with all the graphical features etc.. but that's extra page loading time for many people....


Agree.

However aren't we officially in the broadband age now? If I remember correctly, wasn't 2005 the year that the majority of the surfers were on broadband? Just curious but I wonder how many sites are still catering to the dialups?

I look at it as any type of technology, keep up or be left behind. I think the same thinking can be applied here. It's like the old saying, "You can make the greatest buggy whips.....".

Don't get me wrong m0nty, I think you know I hold you in high regard. I'm just trying to toss another view point out there.


Technology does not have a unilateral direction that can be labeled 'foreward'. That denies the level of human choice. Using more bandwidth should be a result of a cost-benefit analysis. Most surfers do not want to be impressed by eg flashy websites but simply want the information they are looking for.

In a perfect world, my website should be browsable by a $100 dollar laptop.

defwind77

Not too shy to talk
Posted on: 2005/12/6 16:41
defwind77
defwind77 (Show more)
Not too shy to talk
Posts: 180
Since: 2005/11/11
#20

Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

Quote:

Dona_Brasil wrote:

Technology does not have a unilateral direction that can be labeled 'foreward'. That denies the level of human choice. Using more bandwidth should be a result of a cost-benefit analysis. Most surfers do not want to be impressed by eg flashy websites but simply want the information they are looking for.

In a perfect world, my website should be browsable by a $100 dollar laptop.


Well then why are you using XP? I think there's a line to be drawn, otherwise the argument becomes ridiculous. Most people are able to use IE6 and run on a windows platform above windows 3.1. Just because some people are running Windows 3.1 still isn't a justification to prevent the other 99.9% using the more advanced/prettier/quicker technology.

Likewise I disagree that all websites should be designed to run on 14k connections running IE 4. Technology moves on and brings new benefits. I think my request of being able to insert images more easily into news items is not in any way a 'pushing' suggestion.

Given that circa 98% of browsers support flash (acc to macromedia) It seems pretty reasonable to ask for jpg insertion?!?

Of course it should be optional so if you really want a black & white text-only website, then you can.

But for the other 99.9999% of the entire world's websites - i think XOOPS would really benefit from being able to insert images into titles!