tedsmith
I'd like to join in
  • 2005/11/19 18:43

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I am interested in the possiblity of learning how to create XOOPS modules. I've been an xooper for about 18 months now but never really ventured into the field of PHP and module development, so I'm a total Noob in that regard.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to start? Good tutorials, guidance notes, tips on creating modules, the basic structure and concept of a module, etc?

Thanks

Ted

gestroud
Re: Id like to join in
  • 2005/11/19 19:13

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Here you go, Ted
https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/category.php?categoryid=16

This one is particularly relevant:
https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=172

tedsmith
  • 2006/5/20 20:54

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I think I'm just not getting it.

I've recently developed XOOPS Importer (see here) as a script and wanted to make it moduler.

But I read the above links and they are clearly very useful, but they don't really assist someone whose never, for example, explored the SQL files used for installation of a module. I haven't got a clue where to start making my two or three php and html files of XOOPS Importer into a module or how to make a set of templates for it.

The above links make statements like "SQL dump files used for module installation belong to the SQL folder and include mysql.sql and MySQL dump file" but I don't know (really) what I need to write in my SQL file or how to apply it to Xoops.

Do you see what I mean? In other words, is there any documentation that states quite literally from the beginning how to make a module? I feel like I'm missing out on something because people are releasing new modules daily like it's as easy as writing a letter. I don't consider myself totally dumb so cannot help but feel someone knows of something I don't...or maybe I am quite dumb

Any more direction appreciated.

Cheers

Ted

skenow
  • 2006/5/20 21:08

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

About a year ago, I found a reference to a module building document on the Dev XOOPS site, and was able to find someone who actually had a copy of it. I just looked over there, and I couldn't find it. The dev wiki has some basic outlines for developing modules.

I can email you the document (PDF) if you would like.

Bender
  • 2006/5/20 21:19

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Well at least about the sql file in specific i might be able to give a hint (keep in mind: i have seriously no idea or knowledge about coding anything though so it could be completely wrong)

When you initially create your module and you think about the data your module needs to store in the database i guess at the very beginning you would manually create and fill the tables you need in the database.

E.g. you need a table for permissions and configsettings.
So you would create those in your db and fill them with the default settings.
You can then export those to a sql dump file as usual and thats what you put in that sql subfolder of your module.
Hence on installation of the module XOOPS runs those sql querries recreating your default tables and filling them with the default values (as long as you dumped some).
Vice versa on deinstallation XOOPS will use this file to know which tables to drop.

[size=x-small]However since i was able to grab this part it must either be wrong or i missread that part of your question. [/size]
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Will_H
  • 2006/5/20 22:18

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Check this out

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?xoopermod

gestroud
  • 2006/5/20 22:30

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

"This Project Has Not Released Any Files"

It's a dead project started back in 2004. Would be great if it were activated again, but I don't recognize either of the developers' names.

jensclas

Try this link here

could help!

davidl2
  • 2006/5/20 23:08

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

try here for Xoopermod

Will_H
  • 2006/5/20 23:13

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

@david

Quote:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /usr/home/tomhqq/www/htdocs/header.php on line 112
Notice [PHP]: Only variable references should be returned by reference in file include/functions.php line 510
Notice [PHP]: Only variable references should be returned by reference in file include/functions.php line 510
Notice [PHP]: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file class/database/mysqldatabase.php line 236
Notice [PHP]: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file class/database/mysqldatabase.php line 236
Notice [PHP]: Only variable references should be returned by reference in file kernel/module.php line 364

lol, anyone know where this module is?

Login

Who's Online

128 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 128

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits