Oldpueblo
Fatal errors after clean full intall of 2.2.3 / Don't think its complicated...
  • 2005/9/1 1:51

• Oldpueblo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/9

My site is here:http://www.mcnology.com/xoops/html/index.php

A little background info. I host with GoDaddy and they have the option to autoinstall XOOPS 2.0.7 as part of their deluxe hosting. It works great, no problems. Well I did their clean install and then immediately upgraded to 2.2.3. I got the error mentioned elsewhere (authfactory.php), but at the time I hadn't seen that announcement. Thinking I'll try it this time as a clean install, I wiped all of it (db included) and then installed the full 2.2.3 manually. The MySQL database is installed by them, but I specify the name, username, password etc. I assume there wouldn't be an issue with XOOPS because their 2.0.7 version works flawlessly (I have another site running it and no probs for a year). Now I received the exact same error, but this time I saw the fix. The fix appeare to work and I was left with a login screen. Here's where it gets tricky. I can login, but I get "done but with errors" in the status bar of IE. As well, when I go to Preferences/System/General Settings I get this:

Fatal error: Undefined class name 'xoopslists' in /home/content/m/c/n/mcnology/html/xoops/html/class/xoopsform/formselectlang.php on line 73

All the other preferences links work fine, its just the General Settings one. Other links that also throw errors are these ones:

The register link on user.php gives me this:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/content/m/c/n/mcnology/html/xoops/html/class/theme.php on line 493

Resend activation e-mail link gives me this:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/content/m/c/n/mcnology/html/xoops/html/class/theme.php on line 493

Those are all that I've found so far. But as well, the main page gives me no links whatsoever. I have to manually add user.php to the end of the URL to get a login prompt to login, etc. I apologize if this is something simple that I missed, but I haven't been able to find any answers searching and I really wish I knew PHP/Xoops better to figure this out on my own. Since this is all technically a clean install, did I miss a step before hand or anything? I did make sure the permissions were properly set before the install as specified here:

https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=286

If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

WarDick
Re: Fatal errors after clean full intall of 2.2.3 / Don't think its complicated...
  • 2005/9/1 1:56

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

2.2.3 does have some install issues. You can find a long discussion in the release news article.

If I were you I would do a 2.2.2 install and learn how to use it. The 2.2.3 was mostly bug fixes. They will be resolved soon. It take some learning on 2.2.2 you can do it while you wait.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

Oldpueblo
Re: Fatal errors after clean full intall of 2.2.3 / Don't think its complicated...
  • 2005/9/1 2:01

• Oldpueblo

• Just popping in

Thanks, will do.

Oldpueblo
  • 2005/9/1 7:32

• Oldpueblo

• Just popping in

2.2.2 went in perfect, thanks. And big thanks to the XOOPS team for such an easy CMS for idiots like me!

Oldpueblo
  • 2005/9/3 2:00

• Oldpueblo

• Just popping in

Well after coming across a few more gotchas in 2.2.2 I decided hell I'll just put on the latest 2.0.x version. Had a lot of modules I wanted to use as well that only seemed to be for 2.0.x.

mrfpkk
  • 2005/9/5 9:47

• mrfpkk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/5 9

This blows my mind.

I installed XOOPS 2.2.3 as the latest stable release and just wanted to muck about with registering myself as a new user only to find there are 'installation' issues with this module. Then I find this thread and find that it's all known about.

I'm now going to have to put myself two days behind on work I am doing for my employers to roll back both of my installations.

Not only that but when venting my frustration a colleague made some crack about building our company webste on dodgy free software.

Is it any wonder Open Source is getting a bad name when I can't defend a product I love because the release candidate has such a fundamental bug in it? I mean fair enough if it was marked as an unstable beta I would simply not have installed it.

I don't want to sound like an ass but I had to fight to get my company to switch to PHP web servers and I have to fight to get them to even look at open source software and this kind of thing just proves the nay sayers right and makes me look like a tool.

Am I being unreasonable? I'm not sure. But I wish software in danger of falling over in its everyday functionality was clearly labelled as not a stable release.

Vent over.

Sorry this had to be my first post. Otherwise I am in love with this software.

adrock
  • 2005/9/5 10:04

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

hmmm.....
Resized Image

and hmmm.....
Resized Image

Why would you do that? My mind is blown too!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

mrfpkk
  • 2005/9/5 10:37

• mrfpkk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/5 9

As it happens first time through I read all of that and didn't use 223 for nearly 3 days. Then I noticed the Alpha and Beta downloads link and figured that if it was out of beta I could probably put up with a few glitches until we were ready to go as this was a test system.

I would draw a distinction between 'might fall over a bit in some circumstances' and 'cannot actually register new users which is a fundamental part of the app's functionality'

As it happens if you install advanced user management module everything is fine. So what really needs changing is the login box's functionality so that you are only given an option to register if the appropriate module is installed (or if you are not given an option about installing it and it comes as part of the default setup).

Anyhoo. I have rolled back to 222 even for testing but will continue poking around with 223 out of curiosity.

You might want to roll back the hostility. I genuinely love this product so far and have been wildly evangelising about it everywhere at work. I was more disappointed that this makes the product look bad (which it isn't) and me look like an idiot (which I sometimes am). I look forward to working with it more extensively.

adrock
  • 2005/9/5 19:41

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

sorry if it felt 'hostile'. Wasn't meant that way...was more of a "You Knucklehead!" ribbin' ya thing.

Many people come here and read the forums for a 'feel' about what it's like to use XOOPS and what the support is like....so when I see 'rants' based off of ones own, shall we say, unmet expectation...it can rub me the wrong way.

No offense meant...hopefully none taken.

For me, at work and with personal clients, I am waaaaay conservative about what I will install or use. The way I tend to look at things is; The one that doesn't fall down will walk further over time than the one that runs but falls on occasion.

Happy Xoopsing...and I wish you success with the project at work!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

wwwdot
  • 2005/9/9 15:03

• wwwdot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/9 1

DANG it, people - don't give us something that's supposed to be even somewhat stable with it doesn't work on INSTALL, for heaven's sake!!! I'm just glad I came to this forum (after pulling out all my hair) to see that it's not something I screwed up... It feels like the worst kind of "April Fool's" joke was played on me!!!

Going back to 2.2... <grrrrr>

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits