pod
another forums discussion
  • 2005/5/30 12:33

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

I can't find an appropriate thread to add these thoughts to, after searching 7 pages... perhaps I would do better do suggest search functionality improvements, lol.

Quote:
@pod, the XOOPS forum modules (newbb 2 or CBB) have been discussed at xoops.org forum, especially compared with other popular forum scripts and many suggestions have been made or considered.
Would you plz suggest some critical functionalities that XOOPS forum module is still short of? besides the one "view all new posts since your last visit" function" which has been available with CBB.

The most important thing that I think is often overlooked is the real-time novelty of a forum.
On the forum index page, I like to see "Users browsing this forum: 8" like as with ikonboard.
On the topic page, I like to have "Users browsing this topic" like IPB has.
Online or Offline icons above or below a persons avatar to display a posters status.
Detailed statistics: Who's looking at what, Who is online now & in which topics, who's posting & who's checking or responding to their PMs.
Optimally if a board were truly fully integrated with XOOPS, all that functionality would apply across the entire site, comments, PM system, anywhere someone interacts with the site should appear seamless. Here I am alluding to the XOOPS PM system, which really needs some work. "save a copy" would be nice, for starters. But again I get off-topic.

I know all those real-time statistics add queries & etc but the bottom line is that the end user doesn't care. Forums are all about interaction, they should be as interactive as possible.
I made a few other suggestions in this thread.

phppp
Re: another forums discussion
  • 2005/5/30 12:46

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

hi pod, the features you mentioned have been available in newbb 2 (You have options to enable or disable; the features of forum at xoops.org are disabled so you could not see the stats info).

And I hope you would not mind that I am redirecting the thread viewers to another thread:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36420&forum=30
where we are calling for CBB Team members and feature suggestion/request.

pod
  • 2005/5/30 12:51

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

Not at all.

So are NewBB2 & CBB merging into one, or what? Or are they basically the same now?

Good to know, I might just try your board on my next XOOPS install.

phppp
  • 2005/5/30 12:58

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

Quote:

pod wrote:

So are NewBB2 & CBB merging into one, or what? Or are they basically the same now?

First, NewBB 2 has already had most of the features a user would look forward to.

If you still wanna try CBB:
As for the links between CBB and NewBB 2, it might confuse users. However, CBB has the same dirname and db structure with NewBB 2.02 which allows users switch between them smoothly.

Shine
  • 2005/5/30 13:07

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Within the outreached thread by Pod he/she suggested the feature:
Quote:
I just hate that when browsing this site as a Guest, I cannot access a given users profile from a thread. So I find myself logging in just to see who I might be talking to, which seems a waste in & of itself. Usernames should always (IMO) be clickable to a profile page, to enhance community interaction & to promote understanding & communication

To be honest, to my opinion userprofiles shouldn't be reachable (viewable) by guests. When your read a posting you know his/hers username.
If a registered member is too lazy to login, well then this is the consequent. Not being able to make use of some of the extra features like viewing somebody's profile.
Another point: if the userprofile hasn't been filled in further by the specific member you still won't see more than just a username.

The other suggested features are as far as I know available. To me I don't see the need for it. If I can disable them, I surely would.

Within the CBB-forum I really miss is the merge and splitt topic/reply feature.
An admin option setting instead of making use of the standard buttons (new topic, new reply a.s.o,) make use of just plain text (new topic, reply a.s.o)

I prefer CBB instead of NewBB2, because its loading time seems much faster. I still have the same complain about the NewBB2.x forum that it's loading time is way to slow.

Grtz., Shine

phppp
  • 2005/5/30 13:15

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

"merge and splitt topic/reply feature" would be the major task for the next major release

Kainaij
  • 2005/5/30 13:34

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

phppp wrote:
"merge and splitt topic/reply feature" would be the major task for the next major release

Here is an idea of what it may look like:
Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits