dickinsd
HELP - my xoops site has fallen over big time - really don't know why
  • 2005/4/4 0:59

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Hi. Please stick with me, this is a big post

I really don't know what is going on, but my XOOPS site is dead in the water at the minute.

I started having wierd problems earlier in that when ever a user clicked on a link for user info either their own or someone elses they would get a blank page.

So I looked in the php file for user and userinfo I could see nothing wrong, the only change I had made recently was to the footer.php (I added a page gen timer and query counter)

SO I tried to remove that and reload it to my XOOPS directory - the result my entire site became a blank white page.

So I quickly loaded a copy of the file back into the XOOPS directory, still a blank page, cleared the templates_c directory 0 STILL a blank page so I deleted everything from the cache folder and my page came back.

Ok panic over.
When I clicked on the administration link I was told this is the first time I have been in here- which I believe to be ok so I just clicked yes and everything appeared to be fine.

I later decided to work on a theme so I copied my favourite theme to the desktop and started tinkering with the css file, I then uploaded it under a new name and turned the site off and changed to the new theme to see how it looked.

I liked it so I turned the site back on - I did a bit more tinkering to the css file while the site was open to the public.

Everything fine, no probs, then I started messing with the newbb.css file for newbb2 I changed a few things and kept reloading the page, all was going well (although I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change one colour - bu thats another post)

I then clicked onto a random module in my menu, no real reason I just clicked it, to my surprise the content had gone.

The blocks that where supposed to load where still ther, but not the links to the content (news 2 module - links to stories where missing)

I clicked into the Administration screen and ALL of my module icons have vanished.

Following advice in a few threads here I seemed to eventually get it back, not sure how and it is falling over on pretty much every other page load.

Current status: I have no content on any pages

By this I mean I am missing the modules actual content if I click on any of these links:
Articles (articles 0.17)
News (news 1.1 (I think))
Members Articles (news2)
Forums (newbb2)
Contact Us (contact 1)
Members (xoopsmembers 1)

Basically this list goes ON - I have no content - All of my other blocks are still working, all of my custom blocks, my multimenu blocks, even the blocks from the other modules like recent news, recent articles, recent comments, recent forum posts - these are all working but the links point to pages with nothing on them.

HELP

Oh and I still have access to my control panel, I have tried to turn the site off but people are just seeing a blank page.

I have a site backup but it is 10 days old and I have made some big changes to the site and modules in that time :(

Must remember to have nightly backups...

Any help would be EXTREMELY welcome at this point.

Thank you

Dave

EDIT: Oh yeah I have tried deactivating and reactivating all modules except system and I have tried returning to my original theme - this produces a blank page

dickinsd
Re: HELP - my xoops site has fallen over big time - really don't know why
  • 2005/4/4 1:29

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

An update - My adminmenu.php from the cache folder seems to keep returning to 0 Kb in size, no matter how many times I upload a copy of an older one???

I do not think this is a host issue, I think XOOPS is messing up - any thoughts?

Dave

Dave_L
  • 2005/4/4 1:42

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Are you low on disk space? Either the disk space limit for a hosting account, the file quota, or the total disk space available on the disk?

LazyBadger

if you can reach admin backend - enable PHP-debug and see also here for additional info

dickinsd
  • 2005/4/4 2:13

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

Thanks for the replies.

First off I doubt I am anywhere near my quota limit, although I will check, I have 750MB domain space, I think my site must be no more than about 20MB.
At least thats the size of my 10 day old backup, and the changes i have made to the site are content, which I think is stored in the DB - e.g articles.??

But I will check all the same.

If I turn on php debug I see this error at the bottom of the control panel:
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: xoops_admin_menu_js in file include/cp_functions.php line 72
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: xoops_admin_menu_dv in file include/cp_functions.php line 160

(I am currently with no icons in my control panel again - they seem to be coming and going.)

I am getting this if I try to open my home page:

Warning [PHP]: fread(): Length parameter must be greater than 0. in file class/smarty/Smarty.class.php line 2004
Warning [PHP]: fread(): Length parameter must be greater than 0. in file class/smarty/Smarty.class.php line 2004

I have no idea what these are referring to, I have made no changes in these files, and replacing them with backed up versions does not appear to change things

Dave

dickinsd
  • 2005/4/4 2:56

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

Quote:

Dave_L wrote:
Are you low on disk space? Either the disk space limit for a hosting account, the file quota, or the total disk space available on the disk?

Ok I currently have a completely non-working site, have just spent a few minutes trying to upload my 10 day old files to a test server, my plan was to remove the index.php and replace it with a index,htm that just redirected to the test domain.

Guess what - my index.htm has a file size of 0

I definately take back my statement - its a XOOPS problem!

It I decided to call the tech support guys as this was doing my nut now and guess what - low on disk space!

So thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for been so quick to discount it.

Turns out that someone else on my shared server has been uploading crap to the server faster than the hosts can free up space.

So problem is not really mine, however if I had not been making changes to a live site then I would not have been aware of the prob.

Anyways - thanks for answers, sorry for discounting the space suggestion and sorry for assuming the problem lied with the XOOPS code.

Dave

EDIT: I still don't have a working site, but at least I know what the prob is and I should be able to fix all the files that I have been messing with trying to fix the problem hopefully within the next hour or so.

EDIT2: Update: My site was down for nearly 12 hours in the end

The hosts said they would try and fix it in the next 15 minutes, I ended up been sat there trying every 15-20 minutes for about 6 hours

Finally went to bed at 6am, back up at 9.30am and they seem to have fixed it, as I was able to upload backups of the files that had been resized - site back up at maybe 9.40am and appears to be fully working by 10am. (11 hours + 20 mins later)

Login

Who's Online

422 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 422

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits