bradburn
Setting Permissions on windows 2003 server
  • 2005/3/30 8:58

• bradburn

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/1/26

I have already posted a question regarding this with no response - so apologies for the re-post;

I am having problems using certain modules that apparently need their permissions set to 777 using CHMOD - which I thought was just for UNIX (I am running on a windows 2003 server with IIAS 6 which has php4.3.8 and MySQL installled). I have no idea how to get in to CHMOD to change all the permissions to 777. I dont know how to get in to chmod or phpmyadmin as someone else installed them on the server for me,
What do I need to do (and which folder might the certain application be in)?
Cheers for any response,

Rob

jdseymour
Re: Setting Permissions on windows 2003 server

Chmod 0777 permissions on Window Server could be as simple as clearing the readonly attribute of a file or folder. Or it may not be that easy due to NTFS permissions.

But generally just clear the readonly attribute.

brash
  • 2005/3/30 10:27

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

The file system permissions in Windows are actually more powerful than Unix permissions, but they still work in a similar way. Using Windows Explorer, here is what you'll need to do to get the permissions set in a nutshell;

- Right click your XOOPS root directory, goto properties and select security tab. Add the IUSR_<computername> user account (where <computername> is you servers actual NetBIOS name) at set the read NTFS permissions for this account.

- Navigate inside your XOOPS root directory and select the Cache, uploads and template_c directories, right click goto properties and select security tab. Here select the IUSR_<computername> account and select the NTFS modify permission and click OK.

- Install Xoops

- Make sure you delete the install folder and set mainfile.php to read only (right click, goto properties and select read only tick box).

bradburn
  • 2005/3/30 11:13

• bradburn

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Brash,

cheers for detailed response,

Xoops is already installed on the server - will this matter?
I have tried doing this remotely using my machine or do I need to be actually on the server?

When selecting the permissions for IUSR for the 3 folders I am unable to find the NTFS modify permission - so I just checked all the avaiable permission to allow.

This didnt seem to do anything, do I need to restart it using IIAS?

Sorry for being an absolute noob and I appreciate all your help,

Rob B

bradburn
  • 2005/3/30 11:42

• bradburn

• Not too shy to talk

Hey Brash,

Forget that! I just updated my modules and it worked like a dream - you are a genius - thanks so much for you excellent help.

Rob B

brash
  • 2005/3/30 11:48

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

No worries

Mestophales

Here is a new one for you - I switched my domain on our company network from is to corp. I installed XOOPS as a departmental intranet, however when I am in the is domain I can do all the admin stuff, but when I am in the corp domain, nothing works It tells me that I do not have permissions to tha area, does anyone know where it is identifying my domain so I can troubleshoot.
Thanks

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits