xoopa
can I personalise News for different user groups?
  • 2005/3/13 12:46

• xoopa

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/13

Hi, My log will have postings in both Dutch and English (using the news module). I was hoping to be able to simply create a topic 'English' and manage my user groups so that when international friends visit (to whom I will assign a special group) they will only see the posts in english and not the dutch ones as well.
All users have to log in to see the News section.

So far I have only found the option to show News or not, but not to show a certain topic (or subtopic) or not. I am guessing that that should be possible. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

xoopa

dickinsd
Re: can I personalise News for different user groups?
  • 2005/3/14 0:28

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

I suppose there is the option of getting News2 from the module repository.

Then create a 'group' for your 'English' friends then in group options you can hide the News modules from this group, and make the News 2 modules available instead, hide News 2 from the rest of your registered users.

There maybe a better method, but the only drawback I can see with this is that you need to maintina the News and the News2 modules.

Just a thought

Dave

jdseymour

As far as I know The Article Management System (AMS) is one News module that can do this.

It has what is called audience levels. Permissions to view the articles are based on groups. There are options for the Spotlite page as to whether to let the group not able to access the article, to even be able to view the teaser in the spotlite or not.

It's getting late and hope I made sense.

LazyBadger

Quote:

xoopa wrote:
So far I have only found the option to show News or not, but not to show a certain topic (or subtopic) or not.

Use News 1.3 and enable View access to different topics based on group-membership

xoopa
  • 2005/3/14 8:34

• xoopa

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/13

Hi,

thanks for the input. Will try AMS. Actually: I have tried it, but I run into a new problem. I have uploaded the module but it doesn't show in my admin section. I have checked the folder structure etc. and that seems ok.

I seem to have the same problem with themes. I upload the relevant folders, but I can't select them. Does anyone know where I could possibly find the cause of this?

The only thing I can think of is that I haven't uploaded XOOPS into my root, but into a subdomain-folder. But before I do a complete reinstall: if that was the problem the entire package shouldn't work, should it? Anyway: all hints and solutions are appreciated!

xoopa

brash
  • 2005/3/14 9:11

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

If you are wanting to give AMS a try, I'd advise to wait for the public release of version 2.4 which will happen in the next 10 days or so.

siweb
  • 2005/3/14 9:29

• siweb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/2 1

You could also use GIJOE's The Easiest Multi-Language Hack. With it you can have one news in both languages without setting groups and will also work for anonymous visitors.

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits