tvepsorg
Does anyone else have this problem?
  • 2004/10/17 14:25

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Either I've never noticed it before, or the site just started doing it, but whenever someone uses a " or a ' it put's a slash in front of the ' or ".

Quote:
I went to Chuck's house

in my site it shows up as:

Quote:
I went to Chuck\'s house

Has anyone else ever had this problem and do you know how to fix it?

wizanda
Re: Does anyone else have this problem?
  • 2004/10/17 16:29

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

I have sort of simular yet only when editing the mysql

On random quotes i have just add 1000 quote i had to exchange all ' for ` other wise it thinks it is is code

it adds / to ignore it as code

what module is causing it to happen?

JackJ
  • 2004/10/17 16:35

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

ConfirmedI have this problem yes, looking into it, perhaps a dev will pick this up..:)

libervis
  • 2004/10/17 16:57

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

I also noticed it on my site but also when submitting articles to linuxtoday.com. It seems not to be only the XOOPS problem :)

Thanks
Daniel

tvepsorg
Re:Does anyone else have this problem?
  • 2004/10/17 20:09

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Does anyone know what would cause the script to do this? Is is a module that has been installed perhaps? I know that this site is the only site that I've done the updates on... like from version 2.0.5 to 2.0.7.3. Could this be the cause of the error, sinc I'm not the only one having this issue do you think someone could get with one of the developers and find out what might cause this error?

libervis
  • 2004/10/17 20:40

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

I am not sure if anyone noticed as i mentioned above that this tends to happen on other systems on the net, not only XOOPS.

Specifically, when i was submitting an article to linuxtoday, every time i refreshed for a preview i got one more of these "/" adding up to the ones created by the previous refresh. If i did it three times it would be like this "///".

So, i don't know, maybe it has something to do with Firefox browser? Do you all use FF that experience this glitch?
Even though it sounds funny, maybe there is a chance that this is caused by the very browser. :)

Well...

Thanks
Daniel

JackJ
  • 2004/10/17 20:45

• JackJ

Just a long shot, it worked for me. Try re uploading the files in your include, class, and kernal folders. This has something to do with magic quotes

http://www.webmasterstop.com/tutorials/magic-quotes.shtml

tvepsorg
  • 2004/10/17 22:01

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Well, judging from that link it's obviously something to do with magic quotes. I have tried to re upload my class, include, and kernal folders, but it has no affect. It's definately not site wide and it's definately not something that only happens in XOOPS since it seems to be a php thing. Is there a script or file that we can edit to fix this. Can somone contact an XOOPS developer who is more experienced with php so that we can fix this issue.

JackJ
  • 2004/10/18 0:19

• JackJ

Quote from the page included in my last post:

And PHP comes with a handy function to help you deal with this: addslashes(). By passing $post through addslashes, before you INSERT / UPDATE MySQL, the apostrophes are escaped for you.

'Easy!' you think, generating yet more apostrophes that need escaping. But not so fast. PHP provides a configuration option "magic_quotes_gpc", which automatically adds slashes to any submitted HTML form data or cookies (gpc = GET/POST/COOKIE), before it gets passed onto your script.

From the PHP manual:

"Sets the magic_quotes state for GPC (Get/Post/Cookie) operations.
When magic_quotes are on, all ' (single-quote), " (double quote), \ (backslash) and NUL's are escaped with a backslash automatically."

magic_quotes once seemed like a good idea but have turned out to be a menace, because if you take code where someone is using addslashes() and run it on a server where magic_quotes_gpc is on, this is what will be inserted into the database; UnQuote

The general opinion is magic quotes are evil..:)

Some of the modules have the coding "addslashes", which is not good if magic_quotes are turned on in the user server.

The only permanent solution is to turn off magic quotes it appears, this can be done on hosted servers with an .htaccess file with something like this in it

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
php_flag magic_quotes_runtime off //(if runtime is on)

The coding would otherwise need some functions to cater for both possibilities (off or on)

The above two lines worked for me, but i had to re do the text in the modules concerned, like soapbox for example

tvepsorg
  • 2004/10/18 3:29

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Ok... I'm not that savvy on writing code myself and htaccess files or whatever and all that stuff. I have several sites on one server. I have a site in a subdomain of tveps.org. That installation of XOOPS works just fine and it doesn't cause the \ problem, but under my main site it does. I know that there is a specific file in XOOPS that I can alter or add a line to. I just need to know what that specific file is and exactly what to add or edit. Can anyone tell me this?

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits