upsadaz
What linux flavor do you recomend for a xoops webserver?
  • 2004/10/12 3:50

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

I have the opportunity to put together a webserver. I am interested in hearing your opinions regarding what linux platform you recommend and why?
Debian? Fedora? Mandrake? ....

LazyBadger
Re:What linux flavor do you recomend for a xoops webserver?

Best choice for hard-working server is FreeBSD!
Without jokes, from these 3 candidates I'll prefer Fedora. You can also think (and try) Gentoo - it's well developed and easy maintained distro

gravies
  • 2004/10/13 5:59

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

For a server: Debian - the only decision is to go stable or testing. Once installed it can be maintained via ssh (putty on windows) using apt-get. My server has 100 day uptime so far (testing)... also you only need to install what you really need to get the system running eg: apache, php, no X11 etc. Fedora is a buggy and they keep releasing new versions on CD/DVD - painfull. Gentoo is for people with too much time on their hands who want to know what every text file in /etc/ does - stay well clear unless you are SUPER hardcore geek

upsadaz
  • 2004/10/14 0:07

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

I am definetly not a hard core geek. I am a geek in training. For now I'm looking at Ensim as a management tool. A coworker is trying to install Debian on a box and having trouble. But I was leaning toward it. Now I'm not sure about that. Was it an easy install for you?
I hadn't looked into free BSD. I'll take a look at it tonight.

Any more info on these ideas?

Thanks...

Lance_
  • 2004/10/14 0:11

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

I run gameservers on Fedora, and I haven't had a crash yet, about 3 months service at the moment. I am not doing any webhosting on it yet.

Lance_
  • 2004/10/14 0:14

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

oops, hit Back and it reposted sorry.

tl
  • 2004/10/14 0:18

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

If I were to start a new server, I would defintely go for FreeBSD.

As of Ensim equivalent, take a look at vdeck for BSD systems
http://www.vdeck.com/

talunceford

Personally, I use clarkconnect. Its based on RH9, super stable, secure and has built in security proggys. Its a pretty neat setup.

www.clarkconnect.com

gravies
  • 2004/10/14 1:14

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

I have tried most of the major distributions in the last 8 years but I always come back to debian for servers. My major reason for this is that any distribution where the vendor wants to make money from sales will always need to be upgraded by reinstalling their 'new version'. This is normally a nightmare and the best way is normally for format the drive and install the new version. With debian you are constantly upgrading everytime you do apt-get dist-upgrade! Ok, so the install for Fedora might look nicer and it might be better for a desktop but once debian is installed you probably won't need to reinstall for years.

They have a new installer which is easier to use:http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Checkhttp://distrowatch.com/ Debian is number 5 on the list but the top 4 are desktop driven distros. I haven't used FreeBSD for years. It is probably slightly more stable but you must trade some ease of use to get this - BSD tools v GNU tools are also hard to go back to! (eg. ls -h is gone)

upsadaz
  • 2004/10/15 14:34

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Super.

Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits