tedsmith
My site is a failure!
  • 2004/10/9 21:07

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Hi guys

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I've spent months creating my new revamped site (lost-doggies.com) using Xoops, which is a redesign of my former site (lost-doggies.co.uk). I'm really proud of it (and thankful to Xoopers who have helped me), but no matter how hard I try, people just don't seem to be USING it. People visit for sure, and its listed on Google etc, but no one ever registers, submits any reports or even uses the forums. I even struggle to get people to use the Polls!

I put fresh dog related news on their almost daily that I get e-mailed from Google Alerts. I've registered some fake users and even submitted a fake report to illustrate to genuine users how the site works. I've got Xoopers to vist and register (which some kindly have done) but still no luck. Not one genuine user has registered. What annoys me is that my first pre-historic static html site was really popular - so much so I had to shut it down cause I couldn't keep up with the demand. I made the new one with XOOPS so it could kind of run itself - but no one is using it. Doh

Am I being too impatient (its been live about 12 weeks)? What tips can people give to get those crucial first users to actively use the site and 'get it moving'? Is it too daunting for most people do you think - a bit too fancy? I just do not know. I have got several friends to look and they had no problems and none are especially 'IT au fai'. Any tips greatfully received.

Thanks

Ted

Anonymous
Re:My site is a failure!
  • 2004/10/9 22:04

• Anonymous

• Since:

Maybe a site doesn't look like a site about dogs. I think you should try this theme -> Doggie

maybe this will attract users to register ... hope you'll make it ...

tedsmith
  • 2004/10/9 22:35

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

I think you could be right. I had seen one other dog-related theme but it was not good enough - a bit too basic. The one you recommend looks much better - I may try that, although I have to say I am very keen on the Zaja Themes - they look very professional.

Thanks for the help.

Anonymous
  • 2004/10/9 22:44

• Anonymous

• Since:

Zaja themes look professional but aren't professional. I had a lot of problems with zaja themes. Maybe you won't but i don't reccomend you zaja themes.

sory for my English... (i am from Slovenia )

rowdie
Re: My site is a failure!
  • 2004/10/9 23:36

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Quote:
tedsmith wrote:

What annoys me is that my first pre-historic static html site was really popular - so much so I had to shut it down cause I couldn't keep up with the demand. I made the new one with XOOPS so it could kind of run itself - but no one is using it.

If your first site was popular I'd stick with that look. Is it possible to make a XOOPS theme from your original design? Hopefully that would bring the original visitors back.

Rowd

tl
  • 2004/10/9 23:56

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Ted, don't give up. You are doing a great job and people will appreciate your hard/kind work.

A couple of things you may want to consider:

1) lost-doggies.co.uk - I think you still own the domain. Why not put in a re-direct to the new site?

2) You might want to consider narrowing your focus. For someone in North America, I would probably not post on your site if I had lost my dog. Maybe focusing on UK first, then expand?

Keep up the good work and may every lost dog find his/her home or a new warm and caring home.

tedsmith
  • 2004/10/10 0:11

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

You're right TL - I do own the .co.uk domain name still - I bought it to avoid anyone else buying the name. However, I do not own any web space so I don't know how I can set a re-direction up? Surely to do that I'd need to have an index.html file stored on the web space of lost-doggies.co.uk to redirect to the .com site? That would mean paying for two sets of web space, which, although not incredibly costly, it still costs - and I do run the site for free so all of my own income.

The site is still aimed at just UK people for now. I have a block on the right that states that fact, but I wonder if it is not clear enough? My Mrs did not spot it either. Mmm.

The original site was REALLY dull. I'm not kidding - I wouldn't want to make a new theme using that. It was all written in HTML and was my first go. It got a bit better towards the end but it was never anything like an XOOPS site. I'm amazed anyone used it. You can still see at at www.archive.org if you search for www.lost-doggies.co.uk

Thanks for the suggestions and kind comments.

tl
  • 2004/10/10 0:36

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

You may want to check with your host to see if they can make changes to DNS record to point to new domain. If they can do that, you won't need a webspace for re-direct.

If you are focusing on UK only, lost-doggies.co.uk is a much better domain name for the purpose (my personal opinion, of course ). If you agree, again check with your host to see if you could switch without incurring any cost. It would not be difficult to make your current XOOPS site using the old domain name.

Good luck.

libervis
  • 2004/10/10 0:53

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

I couldn't not to reply to this after i saw the site. It's just touching and well, cute..

Your site is far from being a failure since you actually have history, not only a former succesful site, but the lost doggies found. You are helping those dogs and also helping their new owners. I am sure it means alot to them.

I am usually completely "closed in" tech world on the web, never browsing the real-life relates sites like this and i don't know if i could ever run such a site, and when i see your i get touched by it.

So don't quit, your problem is not that big, you just need to get that redirect set and you'll be fine.

If your site is a failure that what's mine, i have it for 2 month with only 44 members, low activity and tough "market" to get through (not the competition, but because i am covering a very wide area of topics).
It's a challenge however, and it can actually make it fun and exciting. And in your case, you have even more, you got history, past success and experience.

Keep it up man!

Good luck
Daniel

rowdie
  • 2004/10/10 1:04

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Find out if your host has services for parked domains. Some hosting companies allow you to park several domain names on their server and have them all pointing to your main web space. Quite often that's a free service. Otherwise, I think I've seen hosting sites that offer free parked domain services... though don't quote me on that, I suggest you maybe google to find out

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits