upsadaz
Venting off steam.
  • 2004/10/5 19:11

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I've got to get this off my chest.

I hate Microsoft Internet Explorer! Arrgh

I love the way my XOOPS sites perform on Netscape and even Mozilla...
IE is vulnerable, allows spyware to be loaded, and I don't like it's bugs...

Call the exterminator!

Ahhh. I feel better now. Thanks.

ackbarr
Re: Venting off steam.

Glad you got that off of your chest. Personally, I only use IE for Windows Update (I know, I know, go to Linux and I don't have to worry about that). Before I started working with CSS / XHTML / Javascript I loved IE. Then when things would not work like I expected them to it was very hard to find out why.

So real reason(s) I switched to Mozilla, then Firefox were:
DOM Inspector - If you are a theme developer and you don't use this tool, your job is 90% harder than it should be
Javascript Debugger - A real debugger for those that have to write javascript code.

I just love that Mozilla doesn't hide why it does something. If I want to know why an element is rendered the way it is I can find out.

upsadaz
Re:Venting off steam.
  • 2004/10/6 13:15

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

You are totally on the money ackbarr.
I really see no real advantange of using IE for anything but the win updates.
Yet the rest of the world uses it so we are forced to work with it.
Microsoft did one thing right and that is market themselves. Had they put that much effort into research and development their products would probably be more solid.

Thanks for joining me in my pity party!

ejuden01
  • 2004/10/6 13:32

• ejuden01

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 1

Down with Internet Explorer! Go Firefox!!!

JMorris
  • 2004/10/6 13:50

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

All I can say is, since the release of Service Pack 2, I've been working 12-14 hour days fixing what SP2 breaks. The worst part is, sometimes the only fix is to remove the service pack. It's weird, some computers have 0 problems, others have nothing but problems after updating.

The only positive thing I have to say about IE and SP2 is the security features are greatly improved. That is, if you can get the darn computer to keep from locking up, presenting you with a BSOD, rejecting common device drivers, breaking programs that worked with SP1a, and generally anoying the hell out of you by telling you your fully updated AV is out of date! And that's just the beginning.

Try explaining to a completely computer illiterate person that the reason their computer crashed is because they updated it. You're usually presented with a look that says WTF?!

Just give me 5 minutes in a ring with Bill Gates!

Can you tell I'm a little irritated? Sorry about that.

Oh yeah, and IE sux!

[size=xx-small]::mumbles:: confounded proprietary instable insecure egocentric worthless mass-marketed junk - where's my INSERT CD?[/size]

zcreem
  • 2004/10/15 16:14

• zcreem

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/2 8

I have to force myself to use IE even version 6.0 (which is about where Opera was 2 years ago securitywise) but after working on the look and feel of my site, I sometime remember IE is the worlds favourite Internet Exploiter so run the site through it's HTML CSS parser, sometimes it even works, I have to admit things are are a lot easier with the XOOPS CMS even though the table structure is a little OTT sometime at least it crosses platforms reasonably well.

With the PR release of firefox most of the reasons for using IE have vanished the only ones remaining are testing and the occasional service pack crap.

Promote Firefox get the word out there

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/

upsadaz
  • 2004/10/15 17:09

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

I agree with you about spreading the word about firefox. I am tired of explaining to customers that our service is not responsible for their spyware and security vulnerabilities. When ever I can I encourage our clients to use other browsers. Vive la differance!
Now if we could just resolve the SPAM issue life would be peachy!

Login

Who's Online

290 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 290

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits