JackJ
XoopsForDummies Update
  • 2004/6/14 1:03

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

I have updated the XoopsForDummies documentation and tutorials. I added a section for adding content and links to content modules.

The windows ebook and the HTML version is Here

I have also removed any reference to copyrights, it is my wee gift to Xoops, to be used or distributed as you wish. I will probably take it down soon because I am starting to use my site for developement purposes. I was hoping they would grab it here, but the stoney cold silence spoke volumes..:)

However, Mith thought it was awesome, that's enough for me..

So far it has had 328 downloads and the online version about 1700 hits. Not great, but it must be proving useful to some.

online version at www.macambridge.com/dummies

I just did this to save myself some typing..

xpider
Top Notch Tutorial
  • 2004/6/14 1:53

• xpider

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/9 2

I think it is awsome myself. A very selfless act to help the masses. Would it be ok with you If I offer the ebook direct from my site. I am in the process of creating both a freeware site and a tutorial site. I believe it would be very beneficial to anyone getting started with xoops. I just added a link from my site to your tutorial under xoops.

Please let me know. Great Job.

Stewdio
Re: XoopsForDummies Update
  • 2004/6/14 2:49

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Jack, do me a favor and keep it up for a while, you have no idea how much this has made my life easier by giving out links with visuals to the many questions we get.

It's new, and people still need to catch on about it existance, why else would I have added it to my sig?

You can still develop your site, just keep the dummies dir alive, or else I can host it if you want.

Don't be discouraged by th elack of mention from users or hit counts. Your's is the most comprehensive and up to date help system around. It was also a wake up call to many others. You have no idea how much praise your contribution is getting in development circles.

tjnemez
  • 2004/6/14 18:08

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

it would be nice if you left it up until there is an alternative.

Bender
  • 2004/6/14 20:22

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

JackJ wrote:
I was hoping they would grab it here, but the stoney cold silence spoke volumes..:)

Hi JackJ, is this directed towards xoops.org or users/downloads?

If its in regard to xoops.org i would to refresh my request made in the original announcement of the first release to put it up here on xoops.org and have it linked in the left side menu under documentation.

It is a real good piece of work and currently unmatched. At least offer it here until the documentation team got something ready to replace it if they feel the need to.

Don´t step back because some other documentation is in the works. This one is available now. Use it!

davidl2
  • 2004/6/14 20:41

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

It's a great piece of work indeed!

[size=xx-large]Well done!!![/size]

do-berry
Awesome for newbie!
  • 2004/6/14 21:32

• do-berry

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/14

Thanks so much for sharing this book. I don't know that I would have gotten as far as I have without it. Many thanks!

Denise

Mithrandir
Re: Awesome for newbie!

JackJ, did you contact the documentation team? Didn't they respond?

hsalazar
  • 2004/6/14 23:49

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

JackJ:

As Mithrandir has correctly mentioned not only here but also in other forums, your document is a very valuable addition to XOOPS. Nobody doubts that. We've known for a long time that you're a valuable member of this community.

I've seen that an account was created for you on the documentation site, so I guess you have been invited to join the gang. Since I'm on a voluntary "leave" for personal reasons since april, I'm not at the moment heading the team, but I know for sure your document has been greatly appreciated there.

In a thread within the team's forum, the document has been praised for its content, format and presentation, and has been signaled as "a wake-up call" for the documentation team, that has been working lately in the "XOOPS Operations Guide" and the "Anatomy of the Default Theme" documents.

So, in behalf of the documentation team, er, perhaps as a "symbolic leader" for the moment, I'd join the rest of the xoopsers here in praising you for the work and dedication clearly visible in your "XOOPS for Dummies" guide. I'd vote for its inclusion in the list of official documents and I'd appreciate if there was an effort to reach an agreement on the format.

Also, regarding that "stoney cold silence" you met, I humbly present you two apologies, my own and the documentation team's apology in case you haven't been contacted by Richard or any of our team. We're here to add and multiply efforts, not to substract or divide them.

Thanks again for an inspiring contribution to XOOPS. And a more public invitation: would you care to join us?

Cheers.

Bender
  • 2004/6/23 10:31

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Despite the praising Anything going on in this regard?

quoting myself:
Quote:
Don´t step back because some other documentation is in the works. This one is available now. Use it!

Login

Who's Online

227 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 227

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits