pgelin
What about performance issues?
  • 2004/5/24 6:25

• pgelin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/19

Hi,

I'm a newbie into this project, I was asking myself if it would be a great idea to use it for my Pedagogic Extranet Web Portal which size is around 30000 users.

I searched performance issue but I failed to find out anything. Furthemore I can't find documentation about concepts and architecture (cache manager, Apache integration, SSH, ...) from this site and the other site about documentation is almost empty...

So, Is there something in the schedule to redact a quality documentation about this side of the project?

Thanks.

limecity
Re: What about performance issues?
  • 2004/5/24 6:31

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

hmm.. i have no idea that either..
but i know xoops.org is still standing strong with 17902 users now..

Herko
  • 2004/5/24 6:38

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

the first item on the docs agenda is user documentation. Developer documentatin is also being made as the developers go, but that is mostly focussed on creating modules and code use, not architecture and concepts. XOOPS is a PHP application that runs with a minimum of apache modules installed (basic default setup of apache works), but also works on IIS, so there isn't anything to report on apache integration that isn't covered by decent (3rd party) webserver setup documentation.
As for the cache manager, I believe it is tied in with the Smarty engine (but I could be wrong! I am not a developer who was involved in the 2.0 core development). More info about Smarty can be found athttp://smarty.php.net.
About SSH, I haven't seen it working anywhere yet, not have I had any reports of it working anywhere, allthough the general prefs page does list the option to use https. So, I can't say much on that, sorry.

About performance: there are a couple of long posts about this in the forum, but mostly with complaints (logically). Most sites that use XOOPS with large amounts of traffic run smoothly, as long as their hardware is up to specs. We don't have the resources to do these extensive tests, buy SSH certificates, or write quality documentation quickly on the fly. This isn't an ideal situation, I agree, but we have to get by with what we do have.
Most of these issues are being addressed, but may be relatively low on the priorities list.

Herko

intel352
  • 2004/5/24 13:00

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

herko, are you referring to SSL?

Mithrandir

I think he is.... but sssshhhh... don't tell him

Herko
  • 2004/5/24 13:05

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

LOL okokok... see, this is what you get when you let a non-dev answer these questions

I was talking about SSL, and not SSH...

/me bows deep before his peers

herko

intel352
  • 2004/5/24 13:11

• intel352

• Module Developer

scared me to see you say you've never seen XOOPS working with ssh, lol, that would be a major problem :-X

Herko
  • 2004/5/24 13:13

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

well, I haven't seen it working. But that's all it says. I haven't tried it (I have no SSL certificate I can use), nor was I involved in the creation ans testing of this feature. And I have never had the need for it (mostly used for secure transactions). So, summary: my own limited experience doesn't include SSL

Herko

Herko
  • 2004/5/24 13:21

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

and as for SSH, I'm using it for my ftp, but that's about it. Not much to do with XOOPS itself.

Herko

intel352
  • 2004/5/24 13:43

• intel352

• Module Developer

Quote:
not much to do with XOOPS itself

hehe, that was why i was scared to see that, lol, shouldn't be something that would relate directly to xoops

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits