tjnemez
what browser is used by your visitors?
  • 2004/5/15 9:21

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

I have been tracking what browser my visitors use and it has been very constant in terms of percentages. IE 6 is the most common browser used, followed by Mozilla 1 and so on. This is very important information as you want all your visitors to view your site as intended. So when you develop a theme or change your site theme, test it with IE 6, Mozilla and Opera, at least.

go here to get stats:

limecity
Re: what browser is used by your visitors?
  • 2004/5/15 9:26

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

whats the different between HITS and VISITORS ?

arghhh...

Why can't there be a single standard where all browser can use~!!!

this is very much annoying..

tjnemez
  • 2004/5/15 9:31

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

hey catscity,

ya, it is very annoying. visitors is is an actual count of visitors to your site and hits are the pages viewed by same.

Mithrandir

Don't forget to take screen resolutions into account, too. Watching a 1280x1024 site in 800x600 is not really that nice (but on the other hand, the opposite is not great either)

MadFish
  • 2004/5/15 13:30

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

One hit doesnt necessarily equal one page, for example if a visitor requests one page that has three images on it, that can = 4 hits. Number of visitors and number of page views can give you a better idea of what is going on.

m0nty
  • 2004/5/15 15:48

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

yes the majority of users who visit my site use IE6, some use mozilla and a couple use IE5, only a minute amount of users use a MAC.

I tried to make my theme compliant with all browsers, had no complaints so far and they say it works well.. unfortunately i don't have a version of IE5 on my pc to test with that and i don't own a MAC so i can't test using a mac either.. but a few people have said it looks and works well when using a MAC so i'm pleased with that :)

my site hit 1.2 million unique page hits in the last 3 weeks :)

tjnemez
  • 2004/5/15 20:59

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

hey madfish,

hits, in this case, (the link i have provided) refers to page views.

@monty - i have come to the point where i will only be testing in most current versions of ie, mozilla, and opera.

@Mithrandir - yes we cannot forget about screen resolution, very good point. i was going to post those stats as well but for some reason i felt i should get to my job.

so i have now added those stats to my article.

Bulls
  • 2004/5/15 21:31

• Bulls

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ---------- Mozilla

I would like to *********and***************** the person wot developed that browser? The bugger didn't finish it. ****** off to the boozer instead of making it compatible with the rest. Fecking thing ignores so many different types of code it needs ****ing.

Well i glad i got that off my chest .

Only good thing about it is it drives me to drink .

Bulls
Sites-4u
PS: if you are wondering where XOOPS is on my site i think i will keep you guessing (frames, javascript and Xoops).. More will show intime though hehe.
PPS: make sure you click on the 'Staff' button cos it good if you ask me.

DonXoop

Quote:

Bulls wrote:
AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ---------- Mozilla

I'll agree that Mozilla became a monster but that is old news now. But not compliant with what standard? You mean IE only arbitrary "enhancements"? It is certainly tough to make a site 100% identical appearing to all possible client choices. But it should at least be viewable and navigable by almost any method. Here's a fun one, try your site in Lynx (text based, no graphics). If you can still get to the information with relative ease then you've got a better site. Function first.

Browser stats are pretty site specific and mine has more non IE visitors than being reported here. Still an IE6 majority but significant enough to warrant attention to browser agnostic design (K.I.S.S.).

The Moz can sometimes be ugly (on some sites) but IE and related products are really the most dangerous apps on the net. Not so bad for everyone but obviously enough to make security a bigger job each year.

Besides, if my site didn't render nicely on a Mozilla based browser I wouldn't like my own site...

Bulls
  • 2004/5/16 7:46

• Bulls

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

I find that having to accomodate Mozilla on my site a real pain. I forget about it half the time and i get something to work really well in IE and then i remember to test it. I find in many cases it is ignoring the code. If you visit my site you will see a little dot called 'Staff'. If you click on it it expands. This expansion can go on and on but i have stopped it on the first branch. In IE each button can have links so in effect i could run my site off it and it would look amazing. Mozilla? Ignores the angle coding - won't work off the links - pushes the expansion of the dot too far to the right etc. So another site design has to be chopped. All i allow the dot to do now is show the site developers names. I still have some messing about to do with it for Mozilla because one of the branch offs isn't displaying correctly as it has been pushed too far right.

I have used 'browser sniffing' to send Mozilla uses to another part of my site but it makes my job a heck of a lot more difficult.

It is not hard to design a site where all browser types are accomodated but once you start making you site run all sorts of coding then the limitations of Mozilla become very apparent.

Bulls
Sites-4u

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits